Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

We're still in the apologist stage of Pettine purely because nobody wants to admit the painfully obvious fact that Pettine is no better than Dom Capers. 

Look at the talent Capers had.
Look at the talent Pettine had.

Remember when Capers had Gunter as a starting cornerback against the Falcons?

But we're supposed to be okay with Pettine having Smith, Smith, Clark, Amos, Savage, Alexander, King, Martinez ALL HEALTHY giving up 37 points when the QB attempts only 8 passes? 

285 rushing yards, 4 rushing touchdowns. 

And WTF is this about Pettine being the MVP of the regular season? 

34 points to the Eagles.
24 points to the Cowboys.
24 points to the Raiders.
24 points to the Chiefs.
26 points to the Chargers.
37 points to the Niners.

The only teams we didn't give up more than the NFL average to had quarterbacks named:

Trubisky
Cousins
Flacco
Stafford
Kyle Allen I think was the Panthers QB?
Daniel Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Trubisky
Cousins
Whoever TF was the Lions QB in the final week of the season, and even he scored 20 points.

What did Pettine do that was good? 

WTF is this revisionist history? 

In 2018, his first year as DC, which is typically the best year for a DC, his defense allowed under the average points scored 4 times.  FOUR TIMES.  Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals and Falcons.  He allowed over 30 points 6 times. 

He let Derek Carr tear us up.  That game would have been 31 points allowed if Carr knew better than to not lose the ball out of the back of the end zone. 

Pettine is absolute trash.  The 49ers attempted 8 passes.

8 passes.

8 passes.

8 passes.

8 passes.

8 passes.

That is an average of two passes a quarter. 

How many times did Pettine put 8 players near the LOS? 

Go back and watch that game and find 5 minutes of well-called defense.

Go back and look at what happened after we scored our first TD.  The score is 27-7 with 7 minutes left. 

https://youtu.be/ma9XORfw_bM?t=377

Pettine FINALLY has 9 people in the box. 
It's a reverse.  Thank God Jaire took out Juzyk or that could have been embarrassing.  Don't worry, though, it gets embarrassing.
Same drive, Pettine now has 10 players in the box.  Oh, it's another reverse. 

Same drive now he's got Will Redmond at LB.  Watch on this 23 yard TD run. 

https://youtu.be/ma9XORfw_bM?t=404

We get it, some damn how, to 20-34.  8 minutes left in the game.  Not technically dead. 

• Like 1

No one is being an apologist, but just because you want to whine like a baby, being a hypocrite about Pettine whining, when he's doing less whining than you are.

Also you're stupidity bitching about Pettine, when really it was Gute calling for more talent than even Pettine was, so you're completely blaming the wrong person because you want to blindly blame Pettine, when in reality your bitching about Gute calling for improvement and it's Gute who makes the player selections.

Packers have talented edge rushers, Clark and Safeties, that's about it, Alexander is good, but struggles at times as a #1. But he still has a lot more potential to tape into. 

For the 49ers game, everyone ******* about Pettine, but I haven't actually heard of people suggest what they would of done better, after basically crowding the line with 3 DL and 2 Edge to stop the run and they still couldn't... even with what 2 starting DBs getting injured. But yes, it's all the scheme fault, the players are the stars and shouldn't get any blame for poor execution.

Despite the 49ers detailing that Pettine scheme gave them hell when trying to come up with a game plan and they basically said screw it, we're just going to attack the edges until they force us to stop and the edge players basicallynever did.

But sure, let's trust your word over the professionals.

Just now, Beast said:

No one is being an apologist, but just because you want to whine like a baby, being a hypocrite about Pettine whining, when he's doing less whining than you are.

How am I being a hypocrite? This all started by me disliking teams who restrict player acquisition based on size.  If you're a defensive coordinator that needs certain types of pass rushers, you're not all that great.  I never actually said Pettine whined about anything.  I said he has a demanding list of needs.  You're projecting there.  I'm also not going to resort to insults against you like you've clearly done to me because that **** is ****ing old, so I'll just ignore you saying I'm whining like a baby except for bringing it up to point out you should get over yourself a little bit. 

Also you're stupidity bitching about Pettine, when really it was Gute calling for more talent than even Pettine was, so you're completely blaming the wrong person because you want to blindly blame Pettine, when in reality your bitching about Gute calling for improvement and it's Gute who makes the player selections.

What even sense does this make other than you getting angry?  You're saying Pettine was not involved in player selection at all? 

I mean you're completely 100% wrong, too.  Here's proof if you care to be proven completely wrong.  Your call there.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Mike-Pettine-NFL-Draft-NFL-Pass-Rush--145476510/

Packers have talented edge rushers, Clark and Safeties, that's about it, Alexander is good, but struggles at times as a #1. But he still has a lot more potential to tape into. 

Lol.  What ****ing difference does it make if Alexander is good or not when the QB only needs to throw 8 passes to score 37 points?  You keep harping on Alexander. 

You're also wrong here, too.  Kevin King allowed a passer rating of 16.7 in the 4th quarter.  You don't know WTF you're talking about.  20 other teams in the NFL would kill to have King/Alexander as their starting corners. 

For the 49ers game, everyone ******* about Pettine, but I haven't actually heard of people suggest what they would of done better, after basically crowding the line with 3 DL and 2 Edge to stop the run and they still couldn't... even with what 2 starting DBs getting injured. But yes, it's all the scheme fault, the players are the stars and shouldn't get any blame for poor execution.

Maybe for starters you don't put 186 pound Will Redmond into the game when you're trailing by 20 points in the third quarter when the quarterback had attempted 5 passes at that point in the game.  Could be a good start. 

But sure, let's trust your word over the professionals.

No let's just take my word over yours because yours isn't good. 

• Like 1

@Beast, sorry I got aggressive there.  To my knowledge I don't hate you.  Disagree with you on Pettine obviously, but to my knowledge I typically get along with you.  I'd edit it, but I'm too lazy, so just disregard my meanness. 

I'm going to make a Pettine Sucks thread so we don't hijack this thread anymore and I'm going to make you read it. 

s1zkyxf.gif

Edited by Outpost31

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

@Beast, sorry I got aggressive there.  To my knowledge I don't hate you.  Disagree with you on Pettine obviously, but to my knowledge I typically get along with you.  I'd edit it, but I'm too lazy, so just disregard my meanness. 

I'm going to make a Pettine Sucks thread so we don't hijack this thread anymore and I'm going to make you read it. 

s1zkyxf.gif

Come on. If you're gonna go, go big. Make it a Fire Pettine Thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Adams, Lazard, MVS locks.  

Between all of the others, are there any who are hugely probable to get picked up and rostered by somebody else?  IN other words, would Gute be relatively safe to expose any of them to the practice squad?

EQ, Kumerow, Malik Taylor, Shepherd, Begelton...

Other than Begelton, all four of the others have had some good reports and have gotten favorable comments from media reports and/or MLF.  But I'm not sure there has been a whole lot of separation, or much flash? 

When a team picks up a WR for the 53 at cut-downs, it has to be for long-term Buildican reasons, not for short-term Nowacrat reasons.  A guy who doesn't know the playbook or have any QB rapport isn't going to play this year or have any Nowacrat value.  My feeling is that Taylor, Kumerow, Shepherd, and Begelton, not of those have the upside to seem like very attractive Buildican pickups for any other GM.  Every team has a collection of interesting and potentially promising receivers in their camps.  No point in replacing the guys they've already got with one of our cuts.  

EQ might be a little different, given that he's younger, and perhaps his size/strength gives him some physical qualities that the team may not already have him their camp.  Plus he does have some NFL film.  On the other hand, he was injured last year, and he's battling injuries again right now, so I'm not sure how attractive of a pickup he'd be.  

But yeah, he's probably the only one of those five guys competing for spots 4 and 5 with any realistic chance of getting stolen if we try to send to PS. 

Not sure they'd consider it, but they might even hypothetically consider carrying only 4 WR on the 53 (not counting Ervin, of course), and just parking WR 5, 6, and perhaps even 7 onto the PS.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

Adams, Lazard, MVS locks.  

Between all of the others, are there any who are hugely probable to get picked up and rostered by somebody else?  IN other words, would Gute be relatively safe to expose any of them to the practice squad?

EQ, Kumerow, Malik Taylor, Shepherd, Begelton...

Other than Begelton, all four of the others have had some good reports and have gotten favorable comments from media reports and/or MLF.  But I'm not sure there has been a whole lot of separation, or much flash? 

When a team picks up a WR for the 53 at cut-downs, it has to be for long-term Buildican reasons, not for short-term Nowacrat reasons.  A guy who doesn't know the playbook or have any QB rapport isn't going to play this year or have any Nowacrat value.  My feeling is that Taylor, Kumerow, Shepherd, and Begelton, not of those have the upside to seem like very attractive Buildican pickups for any other GM.  Every team has a collection of interesting and potentially promising receivers in their camps.  No point in replacing the guys they've already got with one of our cuts.  

EQ might be a little different, given that he's younger, and perhaps his size/strength gives him some physical qualities that the team may not already have him their camp.  Plus he does have some NFL film.  On the other hand, he was injured last year, and he's battling injuries again right now, so I'm not sure how attractive of a pickup he'd be.  

But yeah, he's probably the only one of those five guys competing for spots 4 and 5 with any realistic chance of getting stolen if we try to send to PS. 

Not sure they'd consider it, but they might even hypothetically consider carrying only 4 WR on the 53 (not counting Ervin, of course), and just parking WR 5, 6, and perhaps even 7 onto the PS.  

EQ would be gone for sure.