Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

At this point, unless you're talking about some huge move, I don't get the utility of trying to bring in any of these guys like Rogers, Smith, Butler, etc. For what? We already have those guys on our team who have at least been in our system a few years. Are we going to sign Chester Rogers so he can ride the inactive list like Ryan Grant did for 8 weeks last season? At this point, unless you're trading for a legit starter (which isn't going to happen), just go with the trio of Adams-Lazard-MVS with probably Kumorow/EQ backing them up. 

Focus your resources on OT, DL and/or ILB.  

Edited by packfanfb

Didn't EQ miss some TC time this year with an injury? I thought I read that in multiple tweets.

I'd assume he still makes the team, but I'm curious to see if he lands on the IR (again). That "3 weeks on IR" rule for this year provides way more flexibility...obviously.

Edited by JQ1

47 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Didn't EQ miss some TC time this year with an injury? I thought I read that in multiple tweets.

I'd assume he still makes the team, but I'm curious to see if he lands on the IR (again). That "3 weeks on IR" rule for this year provides way more flexibility...obviously.

He missed less than 2 weeks and he's already back.

P.S. I really really hope we cut Kumerow. I'd rather have someone with more upside as our WR5.

Edited by VonKarman

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

He missed less than 2 weeks and he's already back.

P.S. I really really hope we cut Kumerow. I'd rather have someone with more upside as our WR5.

Rob Demovsky Tweet from 8/30:  "EQ St. Brown still out..."

On Kumerow: If we agree Davante, Lazard, MVS and EQ are the top four, who is your #5, if not Kumerow?  I'd like somebody with more upside as well, but we're talking about the # 4 or 5 wide receiver. I don't see anybody in the current pool who is clearly better. At least Kumerow has a year in this Packer offense...and Rodgers is a big fan.

That written, Gute is still looking for a player with whom he can churn that WR room. That's why we've seen a parade of WRs in the past week or two, including two more today!

Edited by JQ1

1 hour ago, JQ1 said:

Rob Demovsky Tweet from 8/30:  "EQ St. Brown still out..."

On Kumerow: If we agree Davante, Lazard, MVS and EQ are the top four, who is your #5, if not Kumerow?  I'd like somebody with more upside as well, but we're talking about the # 4 or 5 wide receiver. I don't see anybody in the current pool who is clearly better. At least Kumerow has a year in this Packer offense...and Rodgers is a big fan.

That written, I Gute is still looking for a player with whom he can churn that WR room. This is why we've seen a parade of WRs in the past week or two, including two more today!

Ervin 

Gute is obviously still not satisfied with this WR group, especially with the bottom of the roster.

Tried to trade for Sanders and Robby Anderson last year.

Was rumored to be seriously interested in Curtis Samuel

Brought in Begelton and signed Funchess in FA

Obviously looked to get a WR in the draft which did not quite happen - I think we liked Aiyuk, Claypool and Mims

He brought in Malik Turner and had a look at Travis Fulgham

And now we're turning over every stone bringing in WRs for a workout such as Devin Smith and Chester Rogers, the fact he's doing this just days before the roster cutdown is telling.

Adams and Lazard are obvious locks. I think MVS should make the roster especially seeing lots of tweets about Rodgers throwing to him recently over the last several training camp sessions. After that this is where things get a bit dicey. All the remaining WRs have made catches with throws from Rodgers, Boyle and Love so it's hard to pinpoint where they might be on the depth chart.

I've long been proponent of the idea that EQ is on the roster bubble based on underwhelming training camp reports over the last couple of seasons and having not done anything of note in last year's preseason when the likes of Kumerow and Shepherd was getting all the targets. I get the impression that despite his size and draft status he is being used as a slot only WR judging from reporters tweets as you don't get many reports of him making big plays such as catching deep balls or boundary catches. Kumerow and Shepherd are in the same boat as slot guys and it seems clear Kumerow is probably ahead due to his good rapport with Rodgers. However I have noticed that compared to last year's camp the Kumerow tweets have died out a little bit but when there are tweets its usually him making a play as a reliable short yardage, moving the chains target over the middle.  On paper from a long term and upside point of view EQ should get the nod over Kumerow.

It seems like our FA signing Malik Turner has edged past Malik Taylor. Whenever Turner is getting tweets it seems he's getting thrown to by Boyle with mixed results.  Taylor on the other had only shows up with Love throwing to him. Turner is a good bet to make the roster if is he is being regularly used as a gunner on ST. That should get him the nod over Shepherd especially since we have Ervin for return duties.

Despite a promising start, Begelton's tweets have completely died out. If Gute is looking at street WRs then he probably hasn't done enough to make the roster.

If my roster prediction of keeping 6 wide receivers is accurate then that leaves 3 spots completely up in the air if you consider Adams, Lazard and MVS as locks. 3 of the following 4 guys: Kumerow, EQ, Shepherd and Turner should make the roster but it's clear Gute isn't happy with this group so we should expect some surprise cuts and bringing in someone else. I think we can safely say Begelton and Taylor will get cut. I don't think our WR group is good enough to justify keeping 7 as we've done in the past, in fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if we decide to keep just 5 especially if we're using more 2 WR sets.

I mean this time last year with exactly the same group of receivers Lazard got cut! and Gute has since tried and failed to upgrade this group. These two facts says it all with regards to the quality of this WRs group. As fans we have our favourites and overrate our WRs but have to accept our WRs aren't very good. You know what I'm genuinely coming around to the idea of keeping just 5 WRs and use the extra roster spot for a different position.

Edited by Chili

3 hours ago, Chili said:

I mean this time last year with exactly the same group of receivers Lazard got cut! and Gute has since tried and failed to upgrade this group. These two facts says it all with regards to the quality of this WRs group. As fans we have our favourites and overrate our WRs but have to accept our WRs aren't very good. You know what I'm genuinely coming around to the idea of keeping just 5 WRs and use the extra roster spot for a different position.

In past years, we've normally been figuring out ways to get our favourite receivers on the roster as WR6 or WR7.  This year, we are trying to find someone amongst the scraps to put in as WR5

We haven't spent a meaningful pick on a receiver for a very long time and our free agent signing doesn't want to play so its pretty inevitable it will catch up at some point. Makes sense to keep players in other positions and keep as few receivers as possible. If they are going to use Ervin as a receiver then 4 plus him seems about right.

13 hours ago, VonKarman said:

He [EQ] missed less than 2 weeks and he's already back...

Hadn't heard that EQ's back.  Assuming you're sure and that's true, that's very good news.  If he's back this far in advance of the opener, he ought to be reasonably OK by week one.  And being #4/#5 guy, he shouldn't play much then, so should have another week to get stronger.  So health then shouldn't really be a limit on how his season progresses after that.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

Hadn't heard that EQ's back.  Assuming you're sure and that's true, that's very good news.  If he's back this far in advance of the opener, he ought to be reasonably OK by week one.  And being #4/#5 guy, he shouldn't play much then, so should have another week to get stronger.  So health then shouldn't really be a limit on how his season progresses after that.  

On reddit they keep track of who practices and who doesn't. He came back on wednesday I believe.