Day 3 Steals

Scoundrel

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Renner and Gayle from PFF were talking about Jauan, mentioning that something was said about his character that was so bad, teams had dropped him completely. They wouldn't say what it was and moved on. It sounded like it was something that wasn't common knowledge.

IIRC, the guy has stomped on an opponents head, called out his coaches on Twitter (which he was briefly dismissed from the program for), arrested for marijuana possession in 2017, and has had season-ending wrist and knee surgeries. 

Besides that and the crippling 4.73 40, he was a top 5 WR prospect. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

IIRC, the guy has stomped on an opponents head, called out his coaches on Twitter (which he was briefly dismissed from the program for), arrested for marijuana possession in 2017, and has had season-ending wrist and knee surgeries. 

Besides that and the crippling 4.73 40, he was a top 5 WR prospect. 

VanS always has love for those troubled guys. He’d make a good grandmother. They always love their grandkids no matter how awful they behave. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Kid played hurt since the New Mexico game. If you watch the tape of any of the games after that he wasn’t the same compared to before the injury. 

I really, really liked him based on 2018. Then, I turned on his 2019 film and didn't see the traits. That included games before his injury. He looked sluggish. Maybe he played too heavy.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I really, really liked him based on 2018. Then, I turned on his 2019 film and didn't see the traits. That included games before his injury. He looked sluggish. Maybe he played too heavy.

He really needs to lose the chub

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

But Chase Young isn’t athletic enough to be successful. K. 

He doesn't have the "it" factor.

And before I hear anymore Tennessee bias, remember I was one of the few voices saying Derek Barnett was not a 1st round prospect despite his insane production because of his poor physical profile.

Very few guys have the intangibles that can overcome athletic limitations.  Jauan just happens to be one of those exceptions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

He doesn't have the "it" factor.

And before I hear anymore Tennessee bias, remember I was one of the few voices saying Derek Barnett was not a 1st round prospect despite his insane production because of his poor physical profile.

Very few guys have the intangibles that can overcome athletic limitations.  Jauan just happens to be one of those exceptions. 

At this point it almost feels like you were intentionally against Barnett just so you could pull out this card for years afterward.

• Like 4

Some "steals" I like are (in no specific order)

C/G Tyler Biadasz - I think he'll be starting by seasons end and worst case. Any POTENTIAL day 1 starter on day 3 is a steal

DE Bradlee Anae - Potential team captain, who I believe will out produce his draft slot. Cowboys had a great draft !!

CB Bryce Hall - Was high on my 3rd round BB and a top 100 prospect.

OT Josh Jones - He was a top 20 pick in February. I think he will start day 1 at RT for Cardinals

DE Curtis Weaver - Ugh another steal by a divisional foe. I think he'll quietly produce 8-9 sacks annually which is great production out of the 164th overall pick. A career comp to Mario Addison maybe?

WR Gabriel Davis - Dont care about homer label. This guy is a perfect fit for the Buffalo offense and compliments Diggs and Brown perfectly. Nice production/potential pick. I see Davis as a competent WR2 in NFL

• Like 2

14 hours ago, VanS said:

First of all, Jauan Jennings is not that special of an athlete.  He can't run that fast.  He doesn't jump particularly high.  He doesn't have great body control.  He doesn't even have natural hands for a wide receiver.  You'll constantly see body catches from him and the occassional drop.  I would even argue wide receiver isn't his natural position.  He would probably be better suited to playing strong safety or some other position on defense.  With that said, he is without a doubt the most COMPETITIVE football player I've ever seen.  And its why I will never bet against him. 

The guy is simply put a force of competitive nature.  He is the type of player who immediately changes a locker room.  He has a genuine personality that just draws people in.  An absolutely nice guy off the field.  But on the field he will also rip your head off in competition.  He gets in his opponents heads regularly drawing flags on them (and sometimes himself).  He's the type who you love when he's on your team but absolutely detest when he's on the opposition.  A natural leader who teammates and coaches gravitate towards. 

Now that I pointed out his intangibles and physical flaws, let me give you his physical strengths (cause he's not just about the intangibles).  The first is he has good size for the position (6'3" 210 lbs).  And he knows how to use it.  He is the embodiment of the big physical WR.   He knows how to use his body to get separation to make contested catches.  Despite his lack of speed, he always looks like he's open because of how adept he is at using his size and length to box out smaller defensive backs.  After the catch, he makes it nearly impossible for one guy to bring him down in the open field.  The guy is a YAC monster.  He sometimes looks like Earl Campbell in open field with how he carries defensive backs on his back for extra yards as they try to bring him down.  He's also a natural runner, so eventhough he isn't fast, he knows angles and how to get by guys for even more extra yardage after the catch.  He also has some nice shake in the open field so he's not just about power when in comes yards after the catch.  And finally, he's incredibly clutch.  Everyone remembers the Hail Mary he caught against Georgia in 2016, but a week earlier he made several clutch catches that ignited the comeback against Florida.  Later that same year he was once again clutch in an attempted comeback against South Carolina that fell short.  The clutch gene is a real thing.  Some players have it.  And Jauan Jennings is one of those players.

If you're a Niners fan, just know one thing.  Jauan Jennings will be a fan favorite in San Francisco.  Ya'll will love him.  He's just one of those athletes that draws people to him.  Just go ask Tennessee Vols fans.  He's as beloved as any player to ever play for them.

Training camp against Richard Sherman is going to be fun..........if it happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

At this point it almost feels like you were intentionally against Barnett just so you could pull out this card for years afterward.

No.  I used to say the same thing to Tennessee fans on their forums for years and they used to light up into me.  I simply don't let the opinions of others influence me.  Most people live with a herd mentality.  If the consensus says something they fall in line.  Most people don't like being left out of the group.  That is why the herd mentality is so common.  Its a trait we evolved because it was beneficial to our survival as a species.  I have always lived counter to that.  I have always been independent minded.

Here's a short story to explain that:  One day in middle school our teacher brought up a debate topic on the death penalty.  Whether we supported it or not.  As students we were told to sit at either side of the room depending on which position we agreed with.  As part of the debate, you could move from one side to the other whenever you changed your mind.  Now I have always had a strong opposition to the death penalty even as a kid.  It was never really the emotional "every life is precious" BS.  I actually believe some people deserve to die for exceptionally henious crimes.  However, I am opposed to the death penalty for one simple reason: we can never be 100% sure every criminal who gets the death penalty actually committed the crime.  Since its possible innocent people might get wrongfully convicted, I have always opposed the death penalty.  At first the room was about 75% FOR the death penalty and 25% AGAINST.  Over time as the teacher kept bringing up henious crime after henious crime and making pro death penalty arguments less and less students were on my side.  Eventually it ended up being JUST ME by myself on one side of the room arguing against everyone else in my class on whether or not the death penalty should exist.  I was the only one at the end who stuck to his initial position.

So as you can see, I have always been more than comfortable standing up for what I believe even if everyone else around me believes the opposite.  I'm sure several of my classmates felt the same way I did about the subject but as time goes on people fall victim to peer pressure.   Most people feel more comfortable being an anonymous face in a group rather than being on a stage by themselves while everyone looks at them.

Edited by VanS

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

The late hit, tearing off of the helmet, and cleat to the face technically occurred off the field, so...

I said he was an insane competitor.  Some guys turn into different people in the midst of competition.  He's one of those guys.  He will rip your head off to get the W.   But when he's not competiting he is a good guy.