2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

5 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

The guy I'm banging the table for is Azeez Ojulari. Going to play outside LB early downs and go to the edge in nickel and dime.  Fits the scheme, fills a need and high potential.

I discussed him heavily with @NYRaider.  He feels he can play DE, and I think that’s possible now that we gave since gotten GB as DC and he uses the LEO, but I agree with you that he would play the 4-3 over SAM on 1st and 2nd down then jump to DE on 3rd.  I love his speed and agility and believe he’d give us the ability to blitz occasionally on early downs in opportunistic spots that could catch offenses off guard.

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

So how is he different than Zaven Collins who you seemed to be against?

Collins isn't close to being the same level of edge prospect. It's the difference of a LB that can fo some pass rush things.  To a edge that with his atheltisum can do some lb things.

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I discussed him heavily with @NYRaider.  He feels he can play DE, and I think that’s possible now that we gave since gotten GB as DC and he uses the LEO, but I agree with you that he would play the 4-3 over SAM on 1st and 2nd down then jump to DE on 3rd.  I love his speed and agility and believe he’d give us the ability to blitz occasionally on early downs in opportunistic spots that could catch offenses off guard.

For me that kind of idea is how we improve on edge, instead of replacing Crosby and Ferrell that still have potential. Having a player that can be on the field at the same time is the way to go.

If we can get a DT that can pass play all 3 downs even when Ferrell moves inside too will be key. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

For me that kind of idea is how we improve on edge, instead of replacing Crosby and Ferrell that still have potential. Having a player that can be on the field at the same time is the way to go.

If we can get a DT that can pass play all 3 downs even when Ferrell moves inside too will be key. 

I fully agree.  I’d love to see AO, Ferrell, Leonard Williams (FA signing), and Crosby rushing the QB.

you could run a lot Of twists and stunts with that group.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn't mind releasing Trent Brown and leveraging the depth at tackle in the first round. I haven't watched much of them, but Darrisaw, Cosmi, and Mayfield all seem like first rounders to me.

And cutting Brown would open up the Raiders cap space more than any other player outside of Carr. The Raiders could use that space, plus other cuts, to sign two defensive tackles, a safety, and a receiver.

I don’t think that’s The right play .... exactly.  I definitely say cut TB.  But the depth at OT is crazy this year and we can get a really good RT prospect in rounds 2-4.  There will be second round pick OT who can start as rookies and round 3-4 guys who can start after a year.  We could bring in a mid level veteran FA to start for one year and then move the draft pick into the starting role next year.  
But that’s just my opinion.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, OnlyGlove said:

Collins isn't close to being the same level of edge prospect. It's the difference of a LB that can fo some pass rush things.  To a edge that with his atheltisum can do some lb things.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of Collins.  He isn’t a dynamic pass rusher.  He’s a solid all around SAM and has positive athleticism but just isn’t explosive enough.  He’s the epitome of a 2nd round pick:  very solid all around but nothing special. 
I don’t even like the idea of putting him at DE on 3rd down.  He just isn’t that good of a rusher.

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think that’s The right play .... exactly.  I definitely say cut TB.  But the depth at OT is crazy this year and we can get a really good RT prospect in rounds 2-4.  There will be second round pick OT who can start as rookies and round 3-4 guys who can start after a year.  We could bring in a mid level veteran FA to start for one year and then move the draft pick into the starting role next year.  
But that’s just my opinion.

He sent out a workout video of him getting into shape that was like 30 seconds/a minute long, IMO who cares.  Guy has been injury prone and missed like what, 16 games?  He can get back into shape and guess what, get injured again.  I'm all for moving on from him.  I don't care if he goes to another team and balls out, no reason to assume he'd do the same for us.  His "calf" injuries to start this season was some major BS.  Probably wouldn't have happened if he wasn't carrying an extra 100 lbs.  I agree with your post and believe we should definitely consider drafting a RT this draft.  I still think we should try to sign Denzelle Good to top OG money and still play him at RT.  He was serviceable.  Had a very respectable season and showed he is certainly worth keeping.  I think Mayock and Gruden will do right and sign D. Good to a 3-4 year contract. 

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

He sent out a workout video of him getting into shape that was like 30 seconds/a minute long, IMO who cares.  Guy has been injury prone and missed like what, 16 games?  He can get back into shape and guess what, get injured again.  I'm all for moving on from him.  I don't care if he goes to another team and balls out, no reason to assume he'd do the same for us.  His "calf" injuries to start this season was some major BS.  Probably wouldn't have happened if he wasn't carrying an extra 100 lbs.  I agree with your post and believe we should definitely consider drafting a RT this draft.  I still think we should try to sign Denzelle Good to top OG money and still play him at RT.  He was serviceable.  Had a very respectable season and showed he is certainly worth keeping.  I think Mayock and Gruden will do right and sign D. Good to a 3-4 year contract. 

ive been one of the guys saying we should bring TB back, because hes dominant when hes right. But after the whole NA situation and holding people accountable, letting TB go after his shenanigans will put the whole team on notice. Id hate to lose the player because im tired of acquiring top end talent, having them fizzle out here, just to return to beasts with someone else. But it seems we have a bit of a culture issue, and it all starts with your highest paid player last year. 

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

ive been one of the guys saying we should bring TB back, because hes dominant when hes right. But after the whole NA situation and holding people accountable, letting TB go after his shenanigans will put the whole team on notice. Id hate to lose the player because im tired of acquiring top end talent, having them fizzle out here, just to return to beasts with someone else. But it seems we have a bit of a culture issue, and it all starts with your highest paid player last year. 

I'm okay with cutting him.  Don't care if he goes back to being a top tier RT.  I'd rather invest it in D. Good and the defense.  As for the culture issues and placing the blame on DC, if a RT can be paid 16M a season and decides to gain roughly 80 lbs, I don't think its a culture issue, I think its a T. Brown being a fat sack of lazy crap issue.  I said this before, if a player needs to be yelled at, or held accountable by other players to perform, then he isn't worth signing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm okay with cutting him.  Don't care if he goes back to being a top tier RT.  I'd rather invest it in D. Good and the defense.  As for the culture issues and placing the blame on DC, if a RT can be paid 16M a season and decides to gain roughly 80 lbs, I don't think its a culture issue, I think its a T. Brown being a fat sack of lazy crap issue.  I said this before, if a player needs to be yelled at, or held accountable by other players to perform, then he isn't worth signing.

the culture issue comes when you accept the bs from TB and the younger guys now see it as acceptable behavior. Got to hold the entire team accountable. 

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

the culture issue comes when you accept the bs from TB and the younger guys now see it as acceptable behavior. Got to hold the entire team accountable. 

Well then cut T. Brown.  Nobody can force 400 lbs of crap onto the field when its "injured" and needs six weeks to recover from COVID.  If the younger guys think its acceptable then again, we drafted the wrong guys.

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This like a mf

gotta make examples out of Trent and ty will. Also why you have to keep nelly. 

What is the example you make by cutting Tyrell Williams, exactly? I think he will (and should) be cut, but mostly because he his contract is prohibitive, the offense has moved on from him, and he carries no guaranteed salary.

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Mock GM offseason I am doing with Trojan first order of business was to cut or trade deadweight.  I ended up trading TB and our 3rd for Akiem Hicks and Chicago's 2nd.  Hicks would be a good leader on our line and still productive for 3 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What is the example you make by cutting Tyrell Williams, exactly? I think he will (and should) be cut, but mostly because he his contract is prohibitive, the offense has moved on from him, and he carries no guaranteed salary.

No scholarships you get paid to produce and nelly produced more than ty will for less. If you continue to pay twill and not nelly that’s not good for the culture imo

• Like 1