2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He said he was coming back with Mamba Mentality and we were 6-3 yet finished 8-8 with the easiest remaining SOS in the NFL. Boy is softer than charmin. 

Lol.  You're not like 5'6" and like 130 lbs right?  I hope you're built like an NFL LB to be calling a professional football player Charmin soft.  I get what you're saying but this is just too much.  I don't think anyone was saying DC was soft when he came back from any of his injuries long before he was supposed to in some cases.  I don't think anyone said he was soft when we beat Carolina after he broke his pinky and then he continued to play the rest of the season while leading us to a 12-4 season which ended in his broken leg (whatever part it was).  

I'm pretty sure DC is that 3-ply ultra strong if anything.  LOL...

You crack me up.

13 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Lol.  You're not like 5'6" and like 130 lbs right?  I hope you're built like an NFL LB to be calling a professional football player Charmin soft.  I get what you're saying but this is just too much.  I don't think anyone was saying DC was soft when he came back from any of his injuries long before he was supposed to in some cases.  I don't think anyone said he was soft when we beat Carolina after he broke his pinky and then he continued to play the rest of the season while leading us to a 12-4 season which ended in his broken leg (whatever part it was).  

You crack me up.

I would truck DC in Oklahoma drill. 

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

You crack me up.

Lol reminded me of max kellerman lol what’s that guy like 5’8 180. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Can’t double everyone and barmore next to Hankins with cle and maxx on the edges. FWIW id draft 2 dts. 

I agree he has limitations in his game but every rookie does plus parsons hasn’t played in a year iirc.

so I want to preface this with my comments are NOT meant to disagree with you but rather bring this discussion to the second level on how to fix the pass rush, because it isn’t as simple as add a 3T.  The poor quality of pass rush from the DEs is linked to the total lack of pass rush from the DTs.... and the total lack of pass rush from the DTs is partly due to the DEs inability to pressure the edge / beat OTs to the outside consistently.  the two issues are interlinked and you have to solve both to solve either one.

I’m all on board for getting a very high end pass rushing DT.... but it’s not as simple as adding a 3T like Barmore and BOOM!  “You can’t double everyone”....Instant success! Without a bendy, speedy pass rushing DE or SAM who you blitz the Pass rush issues really aren’t resolved.

Barmore actually has struggles rushing when Double Teamed.  His greatest quality as a rusher is his range and agility.... he’s very good in stunts and loop arounds.  But he doesn’t have steady success as a bull rusher.  So when Ferrell and Crosby are the ends and can’t pressure the outside edge and don’t get great depth before they engage the OT.... well the inside rush lanes are still narrow and It’ll be hard to Barmore to get to the QB by lining up on on the RG looping around and hitting the outside shoulder of the C or doing a TE stunt.  
.... but if you also add a DE that has speed and gets good depth into the backfield on his rush and pulls the OT outside to protect from being best around the edge .... well now those inside rush lanes widen.  It’ll allow Barmore to do his stunts and loop arounds.  Ferrell and Crosby would be great stunt partners with Barmore because they have the length to engage and hold up the OL temporarily so Barmore can get by and They have the power to win inside or crash inside to get to the QB.

We don’t need an elite DE to transform this defense.... heck I believe we could resign Beasley and use him to do this. Heck, bring back Irving too and rush him with Barmore at DT.  His length can do so many things, but most importantly it can cause cleanup sacks once all this comes together and we are getting after the QB.... and it can help with stunts.  

Look at University of Georgia:  AO is the best rusher there, and prolly in the whole draft.  But they run sets where his job is to set up Herring or another DLmen.  Under PG we had 4 guys who All had their own mission in each play... and we just hoped one of them would work.  But good DLines set each other up. 

Lastly, I’ve been saying we need to bring in 2 DTs since TC.  I’ve said it countless times,  we need a backup Nt.  There’s no reason we shouldn’t get a run stuffer in rounds 5-6 IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:
11 hours ago, Jerry said:

You crack me up.

Expand  

I would truck DC in Oklahoma drill. 

That goes without saying, I imagine most of us could without breaking sweat even.

The calibre of athlete at their keyboards on this forum is really quite something 😁😁😁

• Like 1

Why does everything turn into a DC argument. He has his own thread.

Also been thinking about Parsons at MLB. Very weird to see a MLB blitz so much hardly see him in coverage so that would give me some pause. He’s an athletic freak so he’s gonna be fast and have the ability to cover but just don’t see it a lot. Don’t think you could play him at MLB in the NFL and get the most out of him. He would have to move off ball. 

Gonna be interesting to see where he goes. I read up on his off field issues. It’s not great but as we always seen talent> off field issues. With that talent hard to see him drop to 17.

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Anyways, how do we feel about Christian Barmore potentially at #17?

To be honest, I think that has to be the move if he’s there. He fixes a problem that we’ve had since Richard Seymour retired. If not him I like osa odighizuwa in the second or if we trade down.

If we do get an edge rusher or it Has to be someone who brings a different skill set than Crosby and Ferrell I can’t be one of the DE/DT on 3rd downs(Basham, Paye, maybe even Rousseau). I’m thinking it would have to be a player like Phillips or Ojulari. 

• Like 1