2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Leonard Williams hasn't been all that good the last couple of seasons.  Where'd you read about Zack Moss and Singletary?  

I follow fantasy... Singletary doesn't run between the tackles, and fumbles a lot. Moss is physical, been having a great camp, and can catch the rock from Buffalo circles. 

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Oh... if his teammates spoke highly about him when ASKED about him .... well then it must be true!

your kidding me right... your not so naive!?!

Have you ever seen any player say a rookie is struggling?  No because they highlight the good, are optimistic and supportive, and ignore the technical aspect of the game which is what makes a player consistent play to play... they only speak about one athletic nice play.

I could find you clips/reports of complete busts “exciting” players and coaches.... like every bust once excited people

Again you ignore me pointing out your hypocritical stances:

how can you say Crosby isn’t proven.... we needed to spend 9M APY on Nassib

but 0 games played and Edwards and Ruggs is the future and it’d be stupid to spend a 3rd/2nd on another WR?

And yes you can find depth cheaply at WR.... but that’s not my contention.

I’ve said you only draft a WR again if he adds a dynamic attribute to the team.  If you can a WR that brings something to the table that Ruggs+Edwards don’t it’s worth it.

If we don’t flop this year and rebuild... then there won’t be many starting spots to fill next year.  We should be able to keep the few FAs if we want or upgrade from them if we want.  What huge wholes are their that demand a 3rd/2nd round pick?

I see DT, FS being the big “holes”.  Every position group will have some question marks due to players being FA.  

again I’m not pounding the table saying we HAVE to draft another WR.  I’m saying if we can fill out most of the roster in FA and there is a WR that’s both a value (due to depth at the position in the draft) and he brings a different set of attributes to the table then it’s a good idea.

Teams don’t stop adding High end talent at WR because they have their starters.  And it’s not even established we have A starter in Edwards.  Your just assuming we do.

Idk why I even debate you.... your a nice guy and all but you clearly just go with every opposing position to mine... lmao 

Just to give you an example of a “mock” ‘21 offseason:

Our FAs:

Resign: Hankins, Good, Harris, McMillian, Agholor, Jones

Not Resign: Collins, Randall, Morrow, Lawson, Carrier, S.Young, Witten

Release:

T. Williams, Joyner, Mariota, G.Jackson OR Incognito, Heath?, Richard?, Parker?

That would leave us with needs of:

Starters: DT, FS, *possibly WR

Depth: RB2, QB2, Backup G, swing OT, 3rd TE, DT, LB, S?

You can draft fill DT/FS by signing one and drafting one in round 1.  Depth can be filled with value FA signings and mid round picks.  

Assuming Carr doesn’t bomb and we rebuild... there won’t be much turnover on the Offense.  On defensive I don’t see much turnover either... just at DT+FS is Collins\Randall don’t play great and get resigned.  We’ll have the cap space to fill out any major holes we have.  

WR is really the only offensive position that needs to add talent. 

How do you see next years offseason/team playing out?

Quick overview if I had to predict

Cuts: Williams, Joyner, MM, G Jackson, Richard

Retirements: Richie, Witten

Starters who might be replaced/free agents: Hankins, Morrow/Mcmillen, Collins, Randall

Backups who probably be gone for money or upgraded: Zay, Agholor, Young, Good, Harris, Carrier

• I think one Zay or Agholor are brought back. Depends who has the better year. If they both ball out, maybe both with a portion of Williams money. 
  • Those cuts are easy, might keep Richard if Bowden doesn't show anything
  • a lot of those starters playing for a new contract. Let's see how they perform in 2020
  • Wouldn't be surprised if this is Richies last year, which is why MM brought in Simpson to the program

2021 needs:

Starters: DT, FS, RG, LB. - might try to upgrade from Hankins at DT, Randall might be brought back as 3rd safety and cut Heath

Depth: RB, WR, T, G, DT, LB, S

*assuming our youth progress and are the real deal. 

I could see  2021 Round 1 and Round 2 being instant starters, and going BPA the rest of the way. So that would leave signing 2 free agent starters, and filling out depth with Gruden type vets. Maybe bring back current backups(if they have a good year)  if they aren't demanding a lot of money.  

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I follow fantasy... Singletary doesn't run between the tackles, and fumbles a lot. Moss is physical, been having a great camp, and can catch the rock from Buffalo circles. 

Got it lol.  I was wondering where this information was coming from.  But good to know!  I plan on doing a fantasy draft sometime this week.  Always do it right before the season starts so I can avoid drafting players that get injured.  I've had early drafts and injuries derail a couple of teams for me over the last 10 years.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:34 AM, jimkelly02 said:

BTW i’m not the only one whose thrown out the idea of POSSIBLY drafting a WR on day 2 next year... in fact I’ve heard people say day 1 is an option.

I'm in that camp. Even if Ruggs and Edwards got 1K each, I'd throw an early 3rd (before 75) at an injured WR ho missed all or most of the season and was projected to be a 1st.

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I wouldn't mind another WR if there is a baller on the board.. Can't go wrong adding talent across the board. At the end of the day, Qbs win games. Making the QB life easier by having a good oline and weapons is always wise. 

That’s my point summed up very precisely.  Thank you.

im a carr supporter but he needs a good OL and weapons.  If a good deal is there in the draft for a WR and it’s the BEST deal I’d draft another WR.  You can never have too many weapons.  Players get hurt... you need to have a backup who If he’s gottA start week 1 your season isn’t seriously endangered.

After the Bowden (debacle... I mean trade) were actually prolly positive in draft picks ... meaning have additional assets than just our original picks:

2021 Picks:

1) LV’s

2) LV’s

3) LV’s

4) Miami’s

5) Miami’s

6) Washington’s

7) Chicago’s

So with Miami likely drafting top 5,, at best 10,,, and same with Washington we’ll be picking higher than originally in rounds 4,5,6

On 9/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I wouldn't mind another WR if there is a baller on the board.. Can't go wrong adding talent across the board. At the end of the day, Qbs win games. Making the QB life easier by having a good oline and weapons is always wise. 

I think it depends on how Ruggs/Edwards look this season. If those two are as good as advertised and look like future starters then we're set with 3 young WR's. We were able to sign Agholor for $1.5M and he's only 27 and a former 1st round pick that has produced at a decent level for multiple seasons. We were also able to acquire Zay Jones for a 5th round pick and he's only 25 and a former 2nd round pick that has produced at a decent level in the past. You can find solid veteran depth at WR cheap in free agency or with late round picks. 

We've averaged about 530 pass attempts with Gruden's offensive system. 

You have to assume Waller will remain steady at about 110 targets per season. I think it's also safe to assume around 100 targets for our RB group and like 40 targets for our backup TEs. 

So that's already around 250 (47%) of our passing attempts distributed to position groups outside of WR. I think then you also have to assume at least 80 targets each for Ruggs, Edwards, and Renfrow. So now you're at 490 pass attempts. 

Do you spend a premium pick on a WR that's likely going to get less than 40 targets early in his career and start on the depth chart as at best, likely our #4 WR? 

Edited by NYRaider

On 9/3/2020 at 4:09 AM, jimkelly02 said:

That’s my point summed up very precisely.  Thank you.

im a carr supporter but he needs a good OL and weapons.  If a good deal is there in the draft for a WR and it’s the BEST deal I’d draft another WR.  You can never have too many weapons.  Players get hurt... you need to have a backup who If he’s gottA start week 1 your season isn’t seriously endangered.

If that's how Mayock thought why not just keep Bowden at WR and now you have 4 really good young WR to build around going forward? Miami is moving him back to WR. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, Humble_Beast said:

some of the best teams in NFL history, had plenty of weapons all across the field. 

Since Mayock has been here we've wasted two 3rd's and a 5th on WR's that never played a down here and have spent a 1st, 3rd, two 5th's, and a 6th on other WR. 

That's 8 draft picks between the 2019-2021 draft classes that have been invested into the group between Antonio Brown, Zay Jones, Trevor Davis, Henry Ruggs, Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards, and Hunter Renfrow. 

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

So with Miami likely drafting top 5,, at best 10,,, and same with Washington we’ll be picking higher than originally in rounds 4,5,6

Isn't that just our original pick? Or does the fact we sent it to another team attach their record to it? Honestly not sure how that works