2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, true2form said:

I agree with all of that, but I was referring to the posts above where we are talking about the #9 pick.  That's what the replies are about.

I got you and we could still have the #9 pick with Carr playing well.  The D could fall flat and we could have a small negative win/loss margin.  Under these circumstances Guenther is let go and Carr remains.  We have the #9 pick that is used on defense because the offense has shown to be good enough and the defense lacking. An example would be TB last year.  They were a top 5 offense and drafted 13th.  I would like to add they had a T/O rate of -13.  Hypothetically if you moved that number to a +16 like 2016 for us I can guarantee TB would have been one of the top teams during the regular season.  That is why I think we were more a product of turnover ratio in 2016 and TB should be dominant next year with Brady who had 9 INTs compared to 30.  TB would be a much better team with Carr also.

17 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree that isn't the best idea but what I mean is to bring in guys like (but not limited to) Compton, Jernigan, a RB, S, LB etc. So they are in place depth and we can simply bring them back next year if they are decent, we have done this to effect previously. It would mean we have guys familiar with the system that we know can perform a role and we can then just concentrate on replacing guys we cant resign or the odd starter rather than filling a dozen moving pieces. We'll always have holes to fill if course but we're trying to create stability and have as few moving parts as possible in my view.

Im not following you here... it’s probably just me but the way it reads I’m not sure if your advocating one thing or the other.  Could you maybe edit the post and I’ll respond.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Im not following you here... it’s probably just me but the way it reads I’m not sure if your advocating one thing or the other.  Could you maybe edit the post and I’ll respond.

I think were basically thinking along similar lines. I'm not saying lock end of roster guys up long term for poor value, but fill the holes we can now rather than leave it till next year as we both know new holes will be created. If next year is the target year for a big push then we want to have the majority of the team in place and focus on one or two key additions to put us over the top. We don't want to be retooling the whole interior DL for example. That is if next year was the plan.

I'm probably making too much of a small deal truth be told but I'm pretty bored sat here convalescing after breaking my ankle for the 4th time 😁

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think were basically thinking along similar lines. I'm not saying lock end of roster guys up long term for poor value, but fill the holes we can now rather than leave it till next year as we both know new holes will be created. If next year is the target year for a big push then we want to have the majority of the team in place and focus on one or two key additions to put us over the top. We don't want to be retooling the whole interior DL for example. That is if next year was the plan.

I'm probably making too much of a small deal truth be told but I'm pretty bored sat here convalescing after breaking my ankle for the 4th time 😁

Nah it’s all good i appreciate the point your making.  And I’m not trying to like prove you wrong.  In fact we could have more roster stability so we can concentrate on only a few players/positions next year.

but I just don’t think it’s very possible to do that, unfortunately.

follow me .....

so maybe we go with Javin White as a depth LB over resigning Compton.  Whites under contract for 3 years plus a RFA year.  That’s great stability.  But there’s a good chance a guy like him isnt that great a LB by the end of year 1 and we still have to decide if we want to upgrade from him.  Let’s be honest if he was that good he would have been drafted or at least a high priority FA.... it’s very likely a guy like that’s around 1 year and gone the next.  I know Scott Lutrus (UConn LB then Colts+Jags) and Austin Calitro (Villanova then Jets, SF... lands with Seattle plays very well and is considered a core STer and good depth LB... ST Coach doesn’t like him (despite him being a great nice guy) and he’s let go despite balling out when he played in Seattle... off to Cleveland... back to Seattle.... gets PT and balls out again... cut and goes to Jax then now Cindy).

These young UDFA guys like White and Calitro are never viewed as long term options for teams even when they play well.  They can play well and be gone tomorrow.  

Even if we go with guys like White they’re not long term depth pieces.  My point is you always have a few roster spots open for backups in the offseason.  
All you can do it’s try and lock up and many starters as possible, hit on draft picks to have good depth, and maybe have a veteran or two that’s in the long term plans.

That’s just the reality of nfl teams and rosters.

6 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Nah it’s all good i appreciate the point your making.  And I’m not trying to like prove you wrong.  In fact we could have more roster stability so we can concentrate on only a few players/positions next year.

but I just don’t think it’s very possible to do that, unfortunately.

follow me .....

so maybe we go with Javin White as a depth LB over resigning Compton.  Whites under contract for 3 years plus a RFA year.  That’s great stability.  But there’s a good chance a guy like him isnt that great a LB by the end of year 1 and we still have to decide if we want to upgrade from him.  Let’s be honest if he was that good he would have been drafted or at least a high priority FA.... it’s very likely a guy like that’s around 1 year and gone the next.  I know Scott Lutrus (UConn LB then Colts+Jags) and Austin Calitro (Villanova then Jets, SF... lands with Seattle plays very well and is considered a core STer and good depth LB... ST Coach doesn’t like him (despite him being a great nice guy) and he’s let go despite balling out when he played in Seattle... off to Cleveland... back to Seattle.... gets PT and balls out again... cut and goes to Jax then now Cindy).

These young UDFA guys like White and Calitro are never viewed as long term options for teams even when they play well.  They can play well and be gone tomorrow.  

Even if we go with guys like White they’re not long term depth pieces.  My point is you always have a few roster spots open for backups in the offseason.  
All you can do it’s try and lock up and many starters as possible, hit on draft picks to have good depth, and maybe have a veteran or two that’s in the long term plans.

That’s just the reality of nfl teams and rosters.

Yep, I dont disagree with any of that. I'll have to look into this Javin White a little more now I've got the time. Feel good story but hopefully he can play a bit too.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I dont disagree with any of that. I'll have to look into this Javin White a little more now I've got the time. Feel good story but hopefully he can play a bit too.

I’m not buying the J.White hype.  Every year there’s these stories of unknowns shining in camp.  I don’t even think the media can take videos after stretching is completed.  There’s not much to go on other than a few tweets from a beat writer trying to get a few clicks.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not buying the J.White hype.  Every year there’s these stories of unknowns shining in camp.  I don’t even think the media can take videos after stretching is completed.  There’s not much to go on other than a few tweets from a beat writer trying to get a few clicks.

Yeh, its our yearly ritual! Who is this year's Chaz Shillens??

With college football likely done, it's going to be the wildest draft the NFL has ever seen. It'll be so unpredictable. Guys who would have had a chance to shine this season won't have that anymore and may be available in the later rounds or UDFAs. Not to mention guys who may have came out in a couple years might decide to come out this coming year instead, so more talent being available in general.

We'll have to go off footage from previous seasons so in Mayock we trust!

Gonna be a wild 2021 draft. Every year we have players that are highly rated going into the season then often sometimes drop out of the first round and then we have players who are not highly rated example Joe Burrow who turned himself into the first overall pick. These players who have opted out or play in a conference that has decided not to play will need to market themselves online so much during the next 6 plus months. Need constant video highlights posted on social media. 

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Gonna be a wild 2021 draft. Every year we have players that are highly rated going into the season then often sometimes drop out of the first round and then we have players who are not highly rated example Joe Burrow who turned himself into the first overall pick. These players who have opted out or play in a conference that has decided not to play will need to market themselves online so much during the next 6 plus months. Need constant video highlights posted on social media. 

Going to be some huge busts and and maybe the next TB12.  Would Burrow have been drafted if he did not have that amazing season?

On 8/17/2020 at 3:25 PM, agarcia34 said:

Have you ever looked the Mock Drafts that come out right after the previous draft just concluded?  Off the top of my head I’d say 1/4 of the players in these first round mocks end up as late round picks or go undrafted.

Just google a specific year plus “way too early mock draft”.  

if college football doesn’t happen it’s going to make for quite a mess of a draft.  They should probably extend it to 10-12 rounds IMO.  

I will say we should have the edge in this regard given Mayocks draft pedigree and networking connections.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, jimkelly02 said:

It's not just the media though, even other players have hyped him up. FWIW he had a sack in the scrimmage at the stadium on Friday. And from all accounts has looked leaps and bounds better than Tanner Muse in training camp. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's not just the media though, even other players have hyped him up. FWIW he had a sack in the scrimmage at the stadium on Friday. And from all accounts has looked leaps and bounds better than Tanner Muse in training camp. 

White makes the team, provides depth and works on special teams. Go from there