2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Abram hasn't had the chance to play his natural position. When I was ranking him in his draft, I had him as a linebacker and not a deep safety. He can really shine as a box player in Bradley's scheme.

He was drafted to be a coverage defender. Putting him in the box as a nickel LB will help mask his terrible coverage skills. However, his lack of awareness will continue to be a problem. He has no instincts or feel for the game and he's just all around reckless. 

I don't think he shines. I think he's a liability. 

I hope this regimes comes with a lot of backup plans for their picks. Pretty clear imo they thought Terrell would be there at 19 and didn't even think twice about it. Then a massiveeee full round reach on their next ranked CB on their board in Arnette. 

I hope they don't do the same with DT this year. I feel Barmore at 17 is a clear huge reach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. It's like taking an athletic linebacker in the first round.

Then draft a LB which the team needs, not a box safety. And let's be real he's now a "box safety" now to salvage his career. He failed at the job he was drafted for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Then draft a LB which the team needs, not a box safety. And let's be real he's now a "box safety" now to salvage his career. He failed at the job he was drafted for.

Box safety was what he was at Mississippi State.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Box safety was what he was at Mississippi State.

Absolutely. Although our organization probably drafted him to be an "All Around Safety" which was a mistake. 

Gruden evaluation Abram: "You see these highlights man? He hits really hard. We need this guy."

Random Scout: "What about his coverage ability?"

Gruden: "He's fast, it's probably just fine!"

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Abram was compared to Keanu Neal during the pre-draft process and the Cowboys just signed him to play WLB, lol.

5 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

followed by "we wanted to trade back but had no opportunity"

During the 2016 pre-draft process I wanted Karl Joseph bad in the second round and then we took him at #14. I could see a similar situation with Richie Grant this year.

• Like 1

Looking at the last decade, we've really dropped the ball with our 1st/2nd round picks.

2020: Ruggs (12), Arnette (19)

2019: Ferrell (4), Jacobs (24), Abram (27), Mullen (40)

2018: Miller (15), Hall (57)

2017: Conley (24), Melifonwu (56)

2016: Joseph (14), Ward (44)

2015: Cooper (4), Edwards (35)

2014: Mack (5), Carr (36)

2013: Hayden (12), Watson (42)

2011: Wisniewski (48)

2010: McClain (8), Houston (44)

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I remember Vic Tafur or another Raiders beat guy saying was growing frustrated with taking DBs in the draft and them not panning out.

As they should feel frustrated.... Cornerbacks have a really nice hit rate in the 2nd Round, probably moreso than any other position. While also being one of the least successful 1st Round selections. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

As they should feel frustrated.... Cornerbacks have a really nice hit rate in the 2nd Round, probably moreso than any other position. While also being one of the least successful 1st Round selections. 

Most of the top corners are first rounders. You can get competent guys in round two, but the difference making guys usually go in round 1.

Safety, guard, runningback, and stack linebacker are generally players I would want to avoid taking in round 1 because of how much their effectiveness depends on scheme and the players round them. Defensive tackle is another one that usually carries value into the later rounds.

Edited by Rich7sena