2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Most of the top corners are first rounders. You can get competent guys in round two, but the difference making guys usually go in round 1.

Safety, guard, runningback, and stack linebacker are generally players I would want to avoid taking in round 1 because of how much their effectiveness depends on scheme and the players round them. Defensive tackle is another one that usually carries value into the later rounds.

I completely agree and I have been pounding the table for a potential lockdown #1 if one is there in the 1st.  Arnette should not detour the front office from selecting a shutdown #1 which most on here tend to disagree with.  

Best case scenario Mullen is an above average #2 and Arnette is an average #2.  Nether guys are shutdown #1's. 

42 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I completely agree and I have been pounding the table for a potential lockdown #1 if one is there in the 1st.  Arnette should not detour the front office from selecting a shutdown #1 which most on here tend to disagree with.  

Best case scenario Mullen is an above average #2 and Arnette is an average #2.  Nether guys are shutdown #1's. 

You don't need a shutdown 1 if all your corners are somewhat competent. Now that being said, there aren't many teams without a weakness in the secondary. If we plug up free safety with a stud like Moehrig, it'll make all the corners look better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You don't need a shutdown 1 if all your corners are somewhat competent. Now that being said, there aren't many teams without a weakness in the secondary. If we plug up free safety with a stud like Moehrig, it'll make all the corners look better.

Assuming Arnette learns how to tackle a person instead of grass within 5 yards of the LOS. 

I've never seen someone with that admittedly good a nose for the ball on screens and such come up empty that often. It was painful to watch at times.

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Nkaguoe is the natural LEO for the Raiders. Even Crosby would be a better and more natural fit at LEO than Parsons. Parsons is not a rusher, he is a stack linebacker who is best coming upfield on designed blitzes. You want him playing more like Devin White than Shaq Barrett. Drafting Parsons to be a full time edge player is grossly miscasting him.

The role I see him having would be similar to White but that would all come down to Bradley.  When I said that player does not need to be Parsons I was talking about how White was moved over to what looks like a MLB in a traditional 4-3 when they have an extra DB on the field.  Point is Parsons is dynamic enough to rush from the DE position if we need him to, play MLB role, and SLB.  I like him as a stack SLB as his best role in his first year but that does not mean he can not do other stuff at a very high level.  I think in year 3 he is a top 10 MLB or ILB in the league as his main position the rest of his career.

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We need a stud at many positions and acquiring a stud player at any position will help the surrounding players. 

That being said what positions have the most impact when landing a stud on D and what will really help our secondary mask their deficiencies?  The answer to the first question is Edge rusher, 3T and CB.  The answer to the second questions is pass rush.  A shutdown #1 CB like Ramsey, White, Humphrey or Lattimore would have a greater impact on this D than a FS. 

As @Rich7senapoints out there are greater odds of finding a very good safety in round 2 or 3 but finding a lockdown #1 CB beyond the 1st round is quite difficult.  Arguably he best Safety in last years class was picked at 64 overall.  Jeremy Chinn appears to be a stud. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Honestly Moehrig, Grant, or Holland at FS and Heath at SS is a million times better than our usual Safety starters. The difference with Heath, especially against the Chiefs, was night and day. 

Abram needs to be a role player. Use him at SS on run downs, and even try him at LB in Nickel packages. 

I like Heath more than Abram at SS in Guenther's defense but in Bradley's I think Abram will be better.

On 4/5/2021 at 3:10 AM, NYRaider said:

Mayock said they avoided bringing in UDFA guys because of how the off-season went with every little practice time until 2 weeks before the season starts. 

That doesn’t make sense to be....   I understand we only signed a few UDFAs.... which is fine... I understand that choice, it makes sense.  

but if your only going to go with 7-8 UDFAs why wouldn’t you sign a few top rated UDFAs?  All teams have a certain about of money to spend on them.... and we used every bit of it... instead of adding 3-4 highly ranked guys plus a K, LS and the rest just being bodies for camp we gave almost all the money to Nick Bowers and Went further and also gave him guaranteed salary.

Mayock Can make excuses but it doesn’t make him Right.  He spent the money either way so he should have gotten a few good UDFAs to boost the talent of the PS.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

LB is still not being talked about for how deep it is. After JOK/Parsons, there are guys like Jamin Davis, Baron Browning, Zaven Collins, Nick Bolton, Cameron McGrone, Jabrill Cox, and Dylan Moses. That's 9 guys I think have the athleticism/talent to be starters at LB. I'd have to think one of them could make it to 79. 

Yeah I’d wait til the 3rd or later to draft a LB if there’s a good fit AND value.

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Abram hasn't had the chance to play his natural position. When I was ranking him in his draft, I had him as a linebacker and not a deep safety. He can really shine as a box player in Bradley's scheme.

I agree.  Everyone was saying Abram is Jamal Adam’s-lite last training camp and after 1 year playing out of position / a scheme that misused him horribly now he’s worthless.

Abrams has limitations but he also has enough talent to success.  It’ll come down to his ability to play controlled.  I’m not ready to right Abrams off at all.  I think he’ll have some bumps in the road but will really prove everyone on here besides me and you wrong.

I probably would take Jaycee Horn or Caleb Farley over other positions of higher need that I like less, but not Patrick Surtain. Horn, Farley, and Paye are probably the only defensive players I would take ahead of Darrisaw, Cosmi, and Jenkins.

Just now, BayRaider said:

Yeah I think someone like Cox will fall to our 3rd and would be a good get. 

Cox and Werner in round 3 I like a lot.  Surratt would be cool too but.  If not in the third I’d take one in round 5-6... there should be some decent guys to develop there.