2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

11 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You're either overly optimistic or have lower standards for the term "plug and play."

I honestly think the only guys I'd feel confident as plug and play after the top 3 OT are Jenkins, Eichenerg, Cosmi, and maybe Radunz. I think guys like Jackson Carman, Spencer Brown, Jalen Mayfield, and Alex Leatherwood all have the potential to be starters but I'm not sure they'd be good rookie starters. 

Which leads me to my next point, I've seen in few recent mock drafts that have Sewell falling down the board. If he falls to like 8 or 9, I'd be all for moving up to go grab him. 

My logic for taking Jenkins would be that he could help elevate the run game. If he can blow defensive ends away on the edge, teams will need to account for that, which will make runs up the middle more effective as well. Which all affects our ability to score in the RZ and open up the play action game. 

Plus he's a very solid pass protector. You definitely aren't gonna have much success bullrushing him.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You're either overly optimistic or have lower standards for the term "plug and play."

For a RT, I don't see how any of those listed would be optimistic or low standards for "plug and play". 

I suppose Brown, maybe, but idk much about him.

The rest are or have had 1st round hype based on talent and the only real ?'s I know of would be Walker Little's health. 

If a guy is a 1st/early 2nd round talent, I'd say that's pretty standard for plug and play, no? 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A trade down would be ideal but I've seen Jenkins mocked anywhere from 17-25. And a lot of teams in the 20-32 range need OT help as do a lot of the teams that will be picking before us in round 2. 

That's pretty much the best way to sum up our conundrum at the moment. 

At 17 or 48, if we go OT, we're probably "reaching" to some degree. The absolute best will likely be gone by 17 and the rest of the top tier-ish guys probably don't last to 48. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's pretty much the best way to sum up our conundrum at the moment. 

At 17 or 48, if we go OT, we're probably "reaching" to some degree. The absolute best will likely be gone by 17 and the rest of the top tier-ish guys probably don't last to 48. 

I am a firm believer we need to go BPA.  Reaching to fill a hole has gotten us to where we are today and let's be frank, this team is still devoid of top talent and depth.  If the BPA is an edge rusher in the 1st we should draft them, if the best player is a CB we should draft them, if the best player is 3T....  you get the point.  I would also say that if the best player is a WR we should draft them.  

I also would not be opposed to a trade back to acquire more draft capital either. Trade back to 25ish and there is a good chance a quality edge or T. Marshall will still be on the board.  

We can use a talent influx at nearly every position on the field.  I will also say I am not a fan of drafting a RT in the 1st and would much rather take a player like Eichenberg in round 2.  

39 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I am a firm believer we need to go BPA.  Reaching to fill a hole has gotten us to where we are today and let's be frank, this team is still devoid of top talent and depth. 

But Gruden and Mayock consistently screw us by not addressing needs in free agency so we go into the draft with huge holes. Last year everyone and their mom knew we were going WR/CB with our first two picks in some order. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I honestly think the only guys I'd feel confident as plug and play after the top 3 OT are Jenkins, Eichenerg, Cosmi, and maybe Radunz. I think guys like Jackson Carman, Spencer Brown, Jalen Mayfield, and Alex Leatherwood all have the potential to be starters but I'm not sure they'd be good rookie starters. 

Which leads me to my next point, I've seen in few recent mock drafts that have Sewell falling down the board. If he falls to like 8 or 9, I'd be all for moving up to go grab him. 

I like mayfield leatherwood & Carman on day 2

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But Gruden and Mayock consistently screw us by not addressing needs in free agency so we go into the draft with huge holes. Last year everyone and their mom knew we were going WR/CB with our first two picks in some order. 

The only way not addressing safety makes sense if they think that Richy Grant will be there at 48. Otherwise it’s a stupid idea. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The only way not addressing safety makes sense if they think that Richy Grant will be there at 48. Otherwise it’s a stupid idea. 

The draft is a crap shoot and will be even more so this year without the combine. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys going a lot higher/lower than they're projected too. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The draft is a crap shoot and will be even more so this year without the combine. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys going a lot higher/lower than they're projected too. 

Right. And then you have to consider how free safety isn’t like a valuable position to a lot of teams and say a player like Grant is also 24 years old. The more the dust settles the more I can say I’m going on the second round. My thing is I can’t see a player like that getting past the Jets or the CowboysThe more the dust settles the more I can say I’m going on the second round. My thing is I can’t see a player like that getting past the Jets or the Cowboys

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think Mayfield makes it out of the 1st round. Carman's back injury/lack of length concern me. I haven't watched a ton of Leatherwood. 

Carman and Mayfield both lack arm length and unlike Slater haven't shown the hands to get past that. 

I recently reviewed Alijah Vera-Tucker, Liam Eichenberg, and Spencer Brown and here are my thoughts:

Alijah Vera-Tucker: First round guard, second round tackle. I'm usually not the one to bemoan arm length, but it does appear to be an issue for how he plays. He moves very well laterally for his size, but his lack of length makes his margin of error much smaller than if he were a longer player. And I don't think his movement skills are quite good enough for him to be better than a competent tackle in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, competent tackle is more valuable that "good" at other positions, but I think the Raiders can do better at 17.

Liam Eichenberg: Similar thoughts with Eichenberg. He doesn't move quite as well as AVT, but he might be a tick more powerful. He has the advantage of down-blocking a lot, which makes any tackle look as effective as possible in the run game. In the NFL, he is likely to see less tight fronts and have defensive players line up right over him. Ideally he would play guard in the NFL, but he can also hold his own at tackle if needed. I also noticed him on the ground quite a bit.

Spencer Brown: This is my first time watching him (vs. San Diego). Basically a polar-opposite prospect to the last two. He's extremely tall, high-cut, and plays lesser competition. However, it was good to see him absolutely dominate the lesser competition. This may be some first impression sheen, but the Raiders could do worse at 17. There wasn't anything I didn't like about his game to be honest. But, I would still be nervous throwing him to the NFL wolves right away. But, for my money, I like him clearly above Radunz.

If we're talking about 17 overall, I would take Spencer Brown over all three. The potential is absurd, and I think the floor is higher than I initially thought.