2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

47 minutes ago, xrade said:

I dunno man.  It would awfully risky to trade your starting QB before you have your new QB signed on the dotted line.  To many things could go sideways and JD would be left looking like the biggest idiot if that happened.  Lets also not forget that we can use draft capital in 2022 as well.  We are not completely fixing this team in one year.  Couple that with the lack of CFB due to COVID.  Assuming all CFB conferences play in 2021, better evaluations can be made on CFB players for the 2022 draft.  I would be a little nervous selecting a QB that has not played in over a year AND has only one year of tape (Fields).  Collecting draft capital for 2022 is just as important as collecting draft capital for 2021 if not more so.

We have the ability "potentially" to really change this thing in 1 offseason though. I know it sounds optimistic... but it can happen. It starts by hiring the right HC and staff. That's big. From there we have 90 mill in cap space. So we literally "HAVE TO" bring in talent. And a lot more highly talented guys will hit FA this year bc of teams in cap issues. And a huge x factor is teams having to trade away big salaries to get under the cap as well. And we have a ton of draft capital and cap space to take on contracts. Then you go to the draft... and let's say we are drafting 1st and TLaw declares. We have one of the best QB prospects in years. We would've already traded Darnold for a 1st (and maybe more). So we then still hold 2 more 1st rounder and let's not forget the 1st pick of the 2nd round. So we'd still have 3 picks in the next 32 picks after drafting TLaw. 2 3rd rounders as well.

So if JD plays his cards right if the situation falls to us having the 1st pick and TLaw declares... we can change this thing rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We have the ability "potentially" to really change this thing in 1 offseason though. I know it sounds optimistic... but it can happen. It starts by hiring the right HC and staff. That's big. From there we have 90 mill in cap space. So we literally "HAVE TO" bring in talent. And a lot more highly talented guys will hit FA this year bc of teams in cap issues. And a huge x factor is teams having to trade away big salaries to get under the cap as well. And we have a ton of draft capital and cap space to take on contracts. Then you go to the draft... and let's say we are drafting 1st and TLaw declares. We have one of the best QB prospects in years. We would've already traded Darnold for a 1st (and maybe more). So we then still hold 2 more 1st rounder and let's not forget the 1st pick of the 2nd round. So we'd still have 3 picks in the next 32 picks after drafting TLaw. 2 3rd rounders as well.

So if JD plays his cards right if the situation falls to us having the 1st pick and TLaw declares... we can change this thing rather quickly.

I agree with all you said, but I were prefer the safer route of keeping Sam until Lawrence is signed, sealed and delivered.  IMHO a 2022 pick is also important and given the risk factor of getting rid of Sam now, I would just as soon wait.  The fact that most NFL execs are risk adverse, waiting to trade Sam is the most likely route.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I agree with all you said, but I were prefer the safer route of keeping Sam until Lawrence is signed, sealed and delivered.  IMHO a 2022 pick is also important and given the risk factor of getting rid of Sam now, I would just as soon wait.  The fact that most NFL execs are risk adverse, waiting to trade Sam is the most likely route.

I think a thing that also plays into it... is if we secure the 1st pick... and we know we are going TLaw (or even Fields if TLaw goes back). Then we know the exact pick we are trading Darnold for. Which is good bc JD would know around what players he likes in that area. Where if you trade Darnold for a 2022 pick, there's risk to it. What you think might be a top 10 pick, could become the 29th pick for all we know. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

What you think might be a top 10 pick, could become the 29th pick for all we know. 

Fair enough.  I guess it will depend on the team we trade to.  But, I still prefer the safer route.  We would also get the benefit of seeing all the CFB conferences playing as opposed to the 2021 draft where the Big Ten and WAC are not playing.  Players from those teams will be a risky pick as are the players who opted out like Rousseau.  This of course is contingent upon all CFB conferences playing next year.  It will be a real **** show if some do not.  Could you imagine a 2022 draft if the Big Ten and WAC do not play next year?

On 10/18/2020 at 10:38 AM, jetjuice said:

Are you nuts? Stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room. You take the best QB prospect of all time and don't look back. 

At one time JaMarcus Russell was someones best QB prospect of all time, at one time Johnny Manziel was someones greatest QB prospects of all time, at one time Robert Griffen III was the greatest QB prospect of all time and after his rookie year he was gonna shatter all Mike Vick plus Joe Montana records combined, I personally remember an "expert" saying Matt Leinart was the most complete QB ever to come out of college.  The Colts actually had considered taking Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  So when anyone says "You take the best QB prospect of all time and don't look back."  I laugh at all the other people who said the same thing and now look stupid.  Trading back for multiple draft picks gives you a higher chance of getting NFL players that will actually last.  Know why Bill Belichick always accepts trades to trade back..... he gets extra picks, and he is better at this than me or you.

As Jets fans, all we do is dream of better days ahead. Lol.

Well on that note, I’ve been thinking about my ideal offseason. I don’t expect JD to go all out in FA but getting two solid additions on offense would be huge. I’m hoping we go the Arizona route and just focus on the offense first. 

FA: Juju, Thuney

Draft: Lawrence and then go Offense with the next 2 picks. I’m hoping we can grab one of the three top TEs (Pitts, Freiermuth, or Jordan) with the Seattle pick. Then grab an iOL like Myers to push McGovern and a RB after that. We can go balls deep on Defense the rest of the draft.

Seems light at WR but I think a trio of Juju, Crowder and Mims is solid. Assuming Mims flashes this year. Also the two Smiths and Berrios are solid back ups.

28 minutes ago, J_E_T_$ said:

At one time JaMarcus Russell was someones best QB prospect of all time, at one time Johnny Manziel was someones greatest QB prospects of all time, at one time Robert Griffen III was the greatest QB prospect of all time and after his rookie year he was gonna shatter all Mike Vick plus Joe Montana records combined, I personally remember an "expert" saying Matt Leinart was the most complete QB ever to come out of college.  The Colts actually had considered taking Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.  So when anyone says "You take the best QB prospect of all time and don't look back."  I laugh at all the other people who said the same thing and now look stupid.  Trading back for multiple draft picks gives you a higher chance of getting NFL players that will actually last.  Know why Bill Belichick always accepts trades to trade back..... he gets extra picks, and he is better at this than me or you.

Lawrence is not those guys. We are not talking about a one year wonder. We are talking about a QB that has been on the radar for three years. Not a bowl MVP, or a self proclaimed “Johnny Football”.  Fields and Lance are one year wonders and I would hesitate taking them. In fact, outside of Manning and Luck, there has been little fanfare over a QB prospect over the last decade more than Lawrence. Ask yourself, who in 2022 would you consider for QB?  How about 2023?  Can you do that without looking it up?  Lawrence was a name known by all who follow football in 2018.

The only people who thought Leaf was a better prospect than Manning are unemployed or dead   Anyone who actually followed football knew Leaf was no where near Manning’s level. 

So, yeah, you take that guy. If a GM wants to wait for that flash in the pan, and build when they have the resources to do so in 2021, he will not be GM for long. He will be the guy that passed on a great player.

Lastly, Belichick had Brady. I believe Bill is an all time great coach but do not gloss over the Brady factor. Let’s see how Bill or Josh do without him. So far, 2-3.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, xrade said:

Lawrence is not those guys. We are not talking about a one year wonder. We are talking about a QB that has been on the radar for three years. Not a bowl MVP, or a self proclaimed “Johnny Football”.  Fields and Lance are one year wonders and I would hesitate taking them. In fact, outside of Manning and Luck, there has been little fanfare over a QB prospect over the last decade more than Lawrence. Ask yourself, who in 2022 would you consider for QB?  How about 2023?  Can you do that without looking it up?  Lawrence was a name known by all who follow football in 2018.

The only people who thought Leaf was a better prospect than Manning are unemployed or dead   Anyone who actually followed football knew Leaf was no where near Manning’s level. 

So, yeah, you take that guy. If a GM wants to wait for that flash in the pan, and build when they have the resources to do so in 2021, he will not be GM for long. He will be the guy that passed on a great player.

Lastly, Belichick had Brady. I believe Bill is an all time great coach but do not gloss over the Brady factor. Let’s see how Bill or Josh do without him. So far, 2-3.

I think Lawrence will be good.  My point is we do not have the parts to help him.  If we can end up with a haul of draft picks (2-3 first rounders plus) like have been gained in the recent past, its much safer to take the stockpile of picks and sign a cheap free agent who has proven he can be an NFL qb, build the rest of your team and once you have a good base then get your QB.  IF your a good GM like I think we finally have, you build the base then put the finishing touches on.  The other point I made and stick by is over half of all first round QBs are failures in the NFL.  The GM's who picked them were picking for their careers and still made the picks because they believed in them as player.  Do you think us two idiots arguing on a chat board are smarter than them, doubtful.  My post is what my dumb *** would do, not saying it was the greatest idea ever, but something new to try.  

15 hours ago, xrade said:

And I forgot 1 point, Bill Polian who drafted Peyton manning said he liked both Manning and Leaf, and only Manning slightly more and if he was drafting second in that draft he would have drafted Ryan Leaf as the second overall pick.  He's considered one of the greatest GM's ever. 

WE HAVE TO PLAY IT SAFE, There are so many factors that could happen, we all know that they are. Cleveland did it the right way they did not show their hand till they were on the board with the first overall pick in the draft. Nobody had a clue who they were drafting till the pick was made. And they made a telephone call to Mayfield telling him was going to be their # 1pick. We have to do the same thing if we are the first pick in the 2021 draft. Even the though of moving Darnold, or even talking about it is stupid. at this point of time.

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, J_E_T_$ said:

And I forgot 1 point, Bill Polian who drafted Peyton manning said he liked both Manning and Leaf, and only Manning slightly more and if he was drafting second in that draft he would have drafted Ryan Leaf as the second overall pick.  He's considered one of the greatest GM's ever. 

I don't believe it.   It was Manning he wanted. Only Manning. Leaf was not even on his top list.   I have to guess that Leaf could be Colts' if they were holding #2 comment came after the draft concluded. That is usually a hogwash.

14 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

WE HAVE TO PLAY IT SAFE, There are so many factors that could happen, we all know that they are. Cleveland did it the right way they did not show their hand till they were on the board with the first overall pick in the draft. Nobody had a clue who they were drafting till the pick was made. And they made a telephone call to Mayfield telling him was going to be their # 1pick. We have to do the same thing if we are the first pick in the 2021 draft. Even the though of moving Darnold, or even talking about it is stupid. at this point of time.

Cardinals said deal done with Kyle Murray.  I expect the same thing with T Law for Jets.😘

3 hours ago, J_E_T_$ said:

My point is we do not have the parts to help him

I agree that at this moment in time we do not have the parts to help him.  But do you really think the Jets in 2021 will resemble the Jets in 2020 in regards to personnel and coaches?  Is there any doubt we will not address the iOL, WR, TE, RB?  If you read my post from the weekend in which I presented possible scenarios, imagine an O looking like:

QB - Lawrence, Morgan, Fitz/Flacco  WR - Juju/Robinson, Crowder, Mims, Olave, Berrios, Cager/Smith/Doctson  TE - Wesco, Gerald Everett, Griffin/Herndon  OL -  Becton, Fant, McGovern, Thuney/Miller/Lindsley, Clarke, Edoga, Hill  RB - Perine, Gurley, Gainewell

To me, that looks better than having Sam at QB because we still do not know anything about him - STILL!  Yes having extra 1st round picks in 2021, 2022 and maybe beyond would be awesome but we can vastly improve the team in one offseason with a really good QB prospect behind an improved OL throwing to better WR with a nice RB corp.  What would we get with the extra #1 in 2021 or 2022 that would be more valuable than that?  Notice I did not use the term "generational" to describe Lawrence.  That word is too overused to the point it is meaningless.

As for two idiots arguing on a chat board, I would hope a professional GM would be smarter than us, but you did use the word doubtful which implies there is a little doubt about the intelligence of Pro GM's.  I would also argue that both of us were smarter than Mac and Idzik as is rotten cauliflower.