2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Although he didn't kill it as a #1, I'd love to pick up Juju. If Mims look good this year, those two would be great for who ever is starting at QB next year. If we're keeping Crowder, it's even better. 

But every year, it seems there is a high profiled WR that either demands a trade or is traded unexpectedly. So I'm keeping my eyes open for that as well.

Edited by rickyt31

On 10/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, xrade said:

Disagreement is cool as long as it is not based strictly on emotion.  I say that, yet when I watch football I scream or palm plant, which happens more often watching the Jets these days, as I do fist pump and get dog-like when they do well.  When it comes to the offseason and player acquisitions and cuts which is really the GM's job in general, it is all based on analytics and the use of the left side of the brain.

JA did not want to be here.  I just can't fathom why you think trading him for the haul we got is a negative.  JA and the position he plays is a luxury we couldn't afford ATM, so trading him for what we received is great work by JD.  Yes we are getting a late first this year, it is still top 32.  You and I would both kill, or at least issue obscenities,  if the Jets earned that late 1st rather than acquiring it.  We also get their first next year.  JD got more for a S than LVR got for a pass rushing EDGE in Mack.  Let that sink in.  By the way how is JA doing in Seattle?  How did he boost their D?  How is Seattle's pass D?  JA is certainly working towards that $18+M paycheck with 2 sacks and 0 interceptions.  FWIW Maye has 2 sacks and 1 interception, but many would like to get rid of him.  BTW, it may be a tad premature to mention JA and HOF.

Who is this best O player you speak of?  RA?  The dynamo that never has a 1000 yd./ year or more than 7 TD's on this team?  The man whose talents, and he he is talented, would be wasted with this "lets run 10 yd. horizontal routes" coaching staff?

Everyone agrees about the Morgan pick.  Ok, poor decision by JD and, as you said, there were more O players that would have been more beneficial to the future success of this team.  However, lets not pretend a viable backup QB is not important in the long term.  Remember he came from Philly and saw what happened when Wentz went down in the midst of a playoff year.  Foles won them the SB, or at least, did not lose it for them.  There are 32 teams that value a backup QB, ask Dallas.  Still, I can't argue your point on Morgan.  OK bad JD.  Fire him.

As for the past, let it stay in the past.  Learn from the past and vow not to repeat past mistakes.  I may be wrong, but JD was not part of the past decision making.  You claim he may be on the Mac path.  Mac was a believer in BPA regardless of position and needs of the team, of which there were many.  Funny thing about the Jets in the last couple of years, any pick the Jets made could be considered to be BPA AND a need except iDL.  I do not recall JD picking iDL unless you consider Zuniga, and EDGE.  JD picked OT for the first time since Brick was selected in 2006.  JD also got a WR that was viewed by many to go much higher than 58.  Yeah, that is so Mac and Idzik like.

JD has had ONE OFFSEASON! ONE!  Do you really think getting rid of him is the right answer?  I am sure that type of patience will attract future FO personnel and coaches.  You want to vent your anger at a specific person, look to Chrissy.  HE kept Mac too long.  HE  hired gase and HE, along with Woody, setup this ****ed up reporting structure.

It is good you do not bury your head in the sand.  Voice your opinions, preferably with data or evidence to back it up.  Very few on this board have been a Jet fan longer than I, except for maybe Duomeyer.  I have more right than most to be impatient because at this point I doubt I will ever see the Jets win a SB before I die.  But, damn, give the man more than one year especially with the mess he inherited.  As I have stated in other posts, if JD completely ****s the bed next year, I will be first in line to scream about getting rid of him. 

So sorry man I had replied a detailed response only for the page to crash as I was posting it!! 
I will summarise:

-JA situation should of been handled differently from the get go. Everyone can understand his frustration with the **** show team we’ve had over the last few years so more effort should of been shown to keep him and show/explain the plan ahead. At the stage it got to where he had to be traded it was a good deal but never should of got there in the first place. 

-Robby Anderson when I last checked was 2nd in receiving yards and 4th in catches in the NFL. That’s playing with Teddy Bridgewater too. He’s reeled in like 40+ balls of his 50 targets. That’s great numbers. So again to dismiss him makes it more laughable with the dross we currently put out each week. 

-Yeah but my argument to that is why draft one in the 4th. We could/did sign a vet qb who can come in if Sam gets hurt. Zero need to draft one. Especially that high and with his particular set of skills (Liam Neeson voiceover) it’s not like we took a punt on a Russell Wilson/Colin Kaep style qb who could come in and takeover. 

-I have stated from the get-go that I’m not judging JD on past GM’s. I’m also absolutely not calling for his head. All I’m saying to people who tell me to relax and let the plan JD has manifest is that Iv heard the exact same thing twice with two different GM’s and 7yrs later we are a worse team than we were when Rex/Tanny were fired. So if JD makes decisions I don’t like or prove to suck them I’m calling him out. 

-I understand you have been a Jet fan longer than most here and I respect the loyalty you’ve shown the franchise (the same loyalty that unfortunately has not worked both ways from the owners). I would just like to see improvement on the field and a team you can root for.
So far in JD’s tenure we’ve had a full season of opportunities to strengthen then team, we’ve had the 2020 draft and 2020 offseason. We’ve also now had 6/7 weeks of a new season. In that time what players would you deem he’s brought in that you can honestly hang your hat on as great moves.....Becton?!.....I’m not sure I can name another. And the big man has only played a few games (looked a beast though!) 

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

So sorry man I had replied a detailed response only for the page to crash as I was posting it!! 
I will summarise:

-JA situation should of been handled differently from the get go. Everyone can understand his frustration with the **** show team we’ve had over the last few years so more effort should of been shown to keep him and show/explain the plan ahead. At the stage it got to where he had to be traded it was a good deal but never should of got there in the first place. 

-Robby Anderson when I last checked was 2nd in receiving yards and 4th in catches in the NFL. That’s playing with Teddy Bridgewater too. He’s reeled in like 40+ balls of his 50 targets. That’s great numbers. So again to dismiss him makes it more laughable with the dross we currently put out each week. 

-Yeah but my argument to that is why draft one in the 4th. We could/did sign a vet qb who can come in if Sam gets hurt. Zero need to draft one. Especially that high and with his particular set of skills (Liam Neeson voiceover) it’s not like we took a punt on a Russell Wilson/Colin Kaep style qb who could come in and takeover. 

-I have stated from the get-go that I’m not judging JD on past GM’s. I’m also absolutely not calling for his head. All I’m saying to people who tell me to relax and let the plan JD has manifest is that Iv heard the exact same thing twice with two different GM’s and 7yrs later we are a worse team than we were when Rex/Tanny were fired. So if JD makes decisions I don’t like or prove to suck them I’m calling him out. 

-I understand you have been a Jet fan longer than most here and I respect the loyalty you’ve shown the franchise (the same loyalty that unfortunately has not worked both ways from the owners). I would just like to see improvement on the field and a team you can root for.
So far in JD’s tenure we’ve had a full season of opportunities to strengthen then team, we’ve had the 2020 draft and 2020 offseason. We’ve also now had 6/7 weeks of a new season. In that time what players would you deem he’s brought in that you can honestly hang your hat on as great moves.....Becton?!.....I’m not sure I can name another. And the big man has only played a few games (looked a beast though!) 

All good, brother, except for your misspelling of summarize.

My retort:

We can go back and forth on JA, and, quite honestly I am tired of talking about a player not on this team.  I loved JA and would have loved to have kept him.  I guess I am old school in that you do not pay $18+M to a SS especially when the rest of the team blows.  But what really turned me against him was his childish methods for getting off this team.  He would have been a real PITA in the locker room.  JD should be applauded for the return we got, not crucified for getting rid of him.

If you go back, which is not necessary, I also wanted to keep RA for all the reasons you and others have mentioned.  That said, I will never believe the RA on Carolina is the RA we would have seen this year, regardless of QB.  I have to believe JD may have thought that as well and even for measly $2M or whatever, getting Perriman, especially after the way he ended the 2019 season, was not much of a drop-off.  Yes, his injury history should not have been dismissed, but that is something a GM hopes will not be an issue.  Again it is not something that JD should be hammered for.

Let the Morgan thing go, we all agree.  But I do hope you can at least acknowledge the reasoning.  Is one bad pick out of nine really so bad?  I say bad pick because the pick itself was questionable, not because he may or may not succeed in the NFL like the other 8 picks.  JD will be back (cue Arnie voiceover) in 2021 to kick some *** in the draft.

I have never, ever told you to relax.  Damn man, you're a Jet fan, relax is not something we fans can easily do.  We all voice our opinions, even if you are all wrong and I am right (joke).  Call out whomever you want.  All good.  But please do not compare JD to past regimes.  In fact, what JD is doing is very much different than past regimes, maybe, just maybe, we can give him a chance.  You state you are not comparing him but then you compare him two sentences later.  You are a victim of past regime failings thus making any hope in our new regime difficult to accept on faith.  Live in the now, man (cue Garth voice over) and look to the future.  Forget the past but learn from it.

Dude, are you really going to dismiss Mann?  He may very well be our second best player on the team.  I say that without sarcasm but it is pitifully true.  JD had his plan on paper when he signed for 6 years.  Complete tank in 2020 with the opportunity for top three pick, maybe #1 - check.  Allow gase to get fired and quietly push that agenda  - check. Accrue cap space for potential lower cap in 2021 and beyond - check.  Trade players for future draft picks - check.  Items to-be-done:  Get Lawrence (or other top QB) if Sam does not show improvement, use plethora of cap to fill holes with good to premium players, rape cap strapped teams via trade for below market trade value or wait for said teams to cut and then pounce.

Obviously JD's plan is all speculation on my part, but I ask A) would that be a good plan, B) do you maybe agree JD could be doing that?  If you agree on A and B then we are simpatico, if not, what do you think?  The defense rests (cue any courtroom drama defense attorney/counselor voice over).

1 hour ago, xrade said:

My retort:

We can go back and forth on JA, and, quite honestly I am tired of talking about a player not on this team.  I loved JA and would have loved to have kept him.  I guess I am old school in that you do not pay $18+M to a SS especially when the rest of the team blows.  But what really turned me against him was his childish methods for getting off this team.  He would have been a real PITA in the locker room.  JD should be applauded for the return we got, not crucified for getting rid of him.

If you go back, which is not necessary, I also wanted to keep RA for all the reasons you and others have mentioned.  That said, I will never believe the RA on Carolina is the RA we would have seen this year, regardless of QB.  I have to believe JD may have thought that as well and even for measly $2M or whatever, getting Perriman, especially after the way he ended the 2019 season, was not much of a drop-off.  Yes, his injury history should not have been dismissed, but that is something a GM hopes will not be an issue.  Again it is not something that JD should be hammered for.

Let the Morgan thing go, we all agree.  But I do hope you can at least acknowledge the reasoning.  Is one bad pick out of nine really so bad?  I say bad pick because the pick itself was questionable, not because he may or may not succeed in the NFL like the other 8 picks.  JD will be back (cue Arnie voiceover) in 2021 to kick some *** in the draft.

I have never, ever told you to relax.  Damn man, you're a Jet fan, relax is not something we fans can easily do.  We all voice our opinions, even if you are all wrong and I am right (joke).  Call out whomever you want.  All good.  But please do not compare JD to past regimes.  In fact, what JD is doing is very much different than past regimes, maybe, just maybe, we can give him a chance.  You state you are not comparing him but then you compare him two sentences later.  You are a victim of past regime failings thus making any hope in our new regime difficult to accept on faith.  Live in the now, man (cue Garth voice over) and look to the future.  Forget the past but learn from it.

Dude, are you really going to dismiss Mann?  He may very well be our second best player on the team.  I say that without sarcasm but it is pitifully true.  JD had his plan on paper when he signed for 6 years.  Complete tank in 2020 with the opportunity for top three pick, maybe #1 - check.  Allow gase to get fired and quietly push that agenda  - check. Accrue cap space for potential lower cap in 2021 and beyond - check.  Trade players for future draft picks - check.  Items to-be-done:  Get Lawrence (or other top QB) if Sam does not show improvement, use plethora of cap to fill holes with good to premium players, rape cap strapped teams via trade for below market trade value or wait for said teams to cut and then pounce.

Obviously JD's plan is all speculation on my part, but I ask A) would that be a good plan, B) do you maybe agree JD could be doing that?  If you agree on A and B then we are simpatico, if not, what do you think?  The defense rests (cue any courtroom drama defense attorney/counselor voice over).

Figured I’d chime in and you guys can ignore me if you want bc I totally get this a debate between you 2.

Couple things from the outside looking in. JA forced his way out. I know it sucks, but that’s what happened. Money wasn’t what he wanted. Hence why he hasn’t made a peep since being traded about money. He wanted out for whatever reason. So JD had no choice unfortunately. That crappy part is that players shouldn’t be allowed to do that. And that’s on the league. Make some sort of social media restrictions regarding this.

Regarding Morgan... it was no secret we really liked him. We scouted and did more workouts and such with him than darn near any prospect in the draft. Also with NE rumored to live him... I think JD overstated him to make sure he got him and that NE didn’t. Not the best move. But at least that makes so sense to the why did he.

And lastly the argument that Robby wouldn’t be good here is garbage. So we shouldn’t get any good players ever bc they wouldn’t be good here? You could argue he wouldn’t be putting up the stats he is now (debatable bc Teddy isn’t exactly Mahomes). Fact is JD messed up there. And I was on the side of not overpaying Robby. And I have no problem admitting I was 100% wrong.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Figured I’d chime in and you guys can ignore me if you want bc I totally get this a debate between you 2.

Couple things from the outside looking in. JA forced his way out. I know it sucks, but that’s what happened. Money wasn’t what he wanted. Hence why he hasn’t made a peep since being traded about money. He wanted out for whatever reason. So JD had no choice unfortunately. That crappy part is that players shouldn’t be allowed to do that. And that’s on the league. Make some sort of social media restrictions regarding this.

Regarding Morgan... it was no secret we really liked him. We scouted and did more workouts and such with him than darn near any prospect in the draft. Also with NE rumored to live him... I think JD overstated him to make sure he got him and that NE didn’t. Not the best move. But at least that makes so sense to the why did he.

And lastly the argument that Robby wouldn’t be good here is garbage. So we shouldn’t get any good players ever bc they wouldn’t be good here? You could argue he wouldn’t be putting up the stats he is now (debatable bc Teddy isn’t exactly Mahomes). Fact is JD messed up there. And I was on the side of not overpaying Robby. And I have no problem admitting I was 100% wrong.

I see your threesome and I raise foursome here.

Almost all NFL teams liked Morgan that much but most of them may wait until 5th round to scoop then stash him. JD had to take him in 4th to ensure that Morgan is his stash.  Without preseason scrimmage and qb situation is in pickle, we recognize Morgan as wrong qb to be part of the messy team.   Because Jets are in the hot mess, it is easy to look at drafted rookies for some contribution as a rookie even when they aren't ready to be on field with big guys.

Injuries have been destroying Gase' development process so I don't know for sure that Robby Anderson would make any difference with this Jets. Be happy that Jets don't overpay RA lol.   Teddy Bridgewater has been healthy all the way. Darnold isn't. Hech, Darnold has been regressed for whether reason.

4 hours ago, xrade said:

My retort:

I’m English/Italian so we spell it with a ‘s’ not a ‘z’ and as you talk English technically you spelt it wrong 🕺🏻.

I think both yourself and @Rockice_8 think I began this debate calling for JD or comparing him to past gm’s.

IM 100% NOT DOING THIS!!

I began this debate with @Rockice_8 when it was mentioned it’s silly to use past regimes as something to knock JD with. All I’ve done in the messages since is prove in fact I absolutely have not done that and instead given detailed reasons as to why I’m not going in with blind optimism with a GM who’s made some bad calls so far in my opinion. 

I without doubt will give JD time to unearth this grand plan of his and support the team as I always have but the personality and quality of the Jets right now is quite frankly ****. So bad in fact I have zero emotion or passion for the current team/coach. 

I also can’t blow the guy off like some here just because he’s gutted the roster and played to tank the year. **** me. Any of us can do that!! 

It’s just my opinion but I’d of spent heavily both in FA and draft capital to improve this offense. I’m talking about resigning Robby, spending top dollar on premier offensive lineman and bringing in playmakers that are proven; either through trade or FA. The reason for this would of been to propel Sam into the franchise qb I believe he can be. Sure we wouldn’t have the 1st overall pick but we’d have an offense with a franchise qb (Sam), and top supporting cast around him. 

As it is we’ve got journeymen wide receivers and second tier offensive lineman who when added together haven’t exactly been great. Thus Sam has **** the bed and the whole thing starts again.

Does Robby move the needle you say? Would an extra playmaker or two help us win a Super Bowl? Of course not. The overall talent of the team is not good enough. But we’d find out for sure about Sam and if proven right we’d be in a good position moving forward. 

This all comes down to rookie injuries & Gase's bad coaching/environment. 

Adams called out Gase and after trying to defending Gase, Bell wasn't happy with him either. People blamed the lack of talent on the Dolphins, but in reality it was the GM trying to give Gase the type of players he requested for his "system". They got rid of players that "didn't fit" and they all looked better elsewhere. Landry mentioned how he tried to talk to Gase about opening up the playbook and Gase took offense to it. He doesn't even share the blame, he continues to point fingers at the players. If you go listen to the interview from Eric B everyone is sharing on twitter, you'll see he took a motivating & better approach. You didn't even see him try to fire up the team in Miami. He sat by himself and didn't speak to Flacco until the end. So between his trash personality & system, I still can't judge any of the players. Our current players could be better just like the ones who escaped Gase. 

The only decisions JD made that I hated was the handling of Adams contract, thinking Perriman was Anderson's replacement, and the lack of moves he made during the season to help the team. While going through terrible injuries at positions like WR, I wanted us to pick up guys like Sanu to at least try to save the season. I loved his draft, I was the first on the Becton train. After during research on the other prospects, I felt like he came away with one of the best classes I've seen in a while. Zuniga & Hall are probably the only two we expected to miss time. Rookies didn't get a chance to learn how to condition their bodies for the NFL, so the injuries happened. I can't fault JD for that because these aren't players with histories of injuries. Between Gase & the rookie class injuries, we look like he didn't build anything at all. On top of this, we have a owner that feels like it's better to arrange partners instead of allowing the GM to their guy. The idea of CJ forcing JD to keep Gase for the year isn't hard to believe. JD actually did what a lot of people on here has been begging for. Blow up the roster & rebuild through the draft. The difference is he has to do it under a bad coach & a pandemic offseason. Next offseason, I want JD to find the right coach that can win and buy into his ways. Then make a big move for a threat on offense. Everyone always look for a big name to pair with their young QB. I think we will be in a great position next season. 

7 hours ago, xenajets said:

I’m English/Italian so we spell it with a ‘s’ not a ‘z’ and as you talk English technically you spelt it wrong 🕺🏻.

I think both yourself and @Rockice_8 think I began this debate calling for JD or comparing him to past gm’s.

IM 100% NOT DOING THIS!!

I began this debate with @Rockice_8 when it was mentioned it’s silly to use past regimes as something to knock JD with. All I’ve done in the messages since is prove in fact I absolutely have not done that and instead given detailed reasons as to why I’m not going in with blind optimism with a GM who’s made some bad calls so far in my opinion. 

I without doubt will give JD time to unearth this grand plan of his and support the team as I always have but the personality and quality of the Jets right now is quite frankly ****. So bad in fact I have zero emotion or passion for the current team/coach. 

I also can’t blow the guy off like some here just because he’s gutted the roster and played to tank the year. **** me. Any of us can do that!! 

It’s just my opinion but I’d of spent heavily both in FA and draft capital to improve this offense. I’m talking about resigning Robby, spending top dollar on premier offensive lineman and bringing in playmakers that are proven; either through trade or FA. The reason for this would of been to propel Sam into the franchise qb I believe he can be. Sure we wouldn’t have the 1st overall pick but we’d have an offense with a franchise qb (Sam), and top supporting cast around him. 

As it is we’ve got journeymen wide receivers and second tier offensive lineman who when added together haven’t exactly been great. Thus Sam has **** the bed and the whole thing starts again.

Does Robby move the needle you say? Would an extra playmaker or two help us win a Super Bowl? Of course not. The overall talent of the team is not good enough. But we’d find out for sure about Sam and if proven right we’d be in a good position moving forward. 

It still all boils down to injuries.  If JD would have known our entire offense would be hurt and Herndon would forget how to play football with a year off I think he resigns Robby.  We are the most injured team in the NFL.  Not one media outlet is mentioning that.  We had enough to evaluate Sam they just unfortunately we're never able to be on the field together.  We had three healthy WRs for one game I believe.  

Robby surrounded by Berrios and Hogan isn't the difference between Sam being successful and Sam sucking I'm sorry there is just no way I can believe that.  We are still 0-6 and Sam is still playing bad with maybe an occasional big play to Robby.  Teams would just play the safety over the top on him and make the other players beat us.

This isn't a Robby issue it's a coaching issue.

Edited by Rockice_8

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

It still all boils down to injuries.  If JD would have known our entire offense would be hurt and Herndon would forget how to play football with a year off I think he resigns Robby.  We are the most injured team in the NFL.  Not one media outlet is mentioning that.  We had enough to evaluate Sam they just unfortunately we're never able to be on the field together.  We had three healthy WRs for one game I believe.  

Robby surrounded by Berrios and Hogan isn't the difference between Sam being successful and Sam sucking I'm sorry there is just no way I can believe that.  We are still 0-6 and Sam is still playing bad with maybe an occasional big play to Robby.  Teams would just play the safety over the top on him and make the other players beat us.

This isn't a Robby issue it's a coaching issue.

Well to be fair I’m not sure any GM can see into the future for how injuries will play out etc but it’s good to look at the history of players as the facts don’t lie. 
-Perriman has been a bust and often injured receiver minus a few good games out in Tampa. 
-Herndon missed all of last year through injury.

If you don’t believe Sam would be a better qb with a top tier supporting cast compared to the ****e he’s had to work with this year then that’s your opinion. But I disagree. Obviously a competent and innovative head coach helps too lol.

Ideally last offseason I’d of resigned Robby, drafted a receiver in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and also brought in another proven talent via FA or Trade. Absolutely load up on talent on the offense and see if Sam is the man. We still don’t know the answer and this is his third year. 

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

Well to be fair I’m not sure any GM can see into the future for how injuries will play out etc but it’s good to look at the history of players as the facts don’t lie. 
-Perriman has been a bust and often injured receiver minus a few good games out in Tampa. 
-Herndon missed all of last year through injury.

If you don’t believe Sam would be a better qb with a top tier supporting cast compared to the ****e he’s had to work with this year then that’s your opinion. But I disagree. Obviously a competent and innovative head coach helps too lol.

Ideally last offseason I’d of resigned Robby, drafted a receiver in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and also brought in another proven talent via FA or Trade. Absolutely load up on talent on the offense and see if Sam is the man. We still don’t know the answer and this is his third year. 

One guy in Perriman with an injury history.  Herndon has been healthy all year he just forgot how to play football.

Fact is if we had Herndon, Crowder, Bell playing at a high level with contributions from Mims, Perriman, and V. Smith we aren't having this conversation about Robby.

It's only a problem because of massive injuries to the WRs.  The difference between Sam playing well and playing terrible is not Robby.

Let's say we signed Perriman and resigned Robby.  We would of had Robby, Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Herndon, Bell, Perine, V. Smith.  We probably would have been pretty happy with that and been in the exact same position.  

I never said he didn't need top tier talent.

Edited by Rockice_8

19 hours ago, xenajets said:

IM 100% NOT DOING THIS!!

I think we have both made our points with this fun yet sad debate.  I say sad because we are debating this crap.  Maybe we can debate the outfits the cheerleaders wear in a year or two as our team heads towards the SB.

One thing that I am curious about, having reserved English blood and hot Italian blood coursing through your veins, how do mange the internal conflict?  I am American, second generation of Irish descendants.  My grandfather emigrated from Limerick.  I have no reserved genes.  I am 100% easily pissed off, but I have no internal conflict.  It must be tough, especially when someone like me pushes your buttons. (all a joke).

Last thing, how should "schedule" be spelled?