2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

3 hours ago, J_E_T_$ said:

I think Lawrence will be good.  My point is we do not have the parts to help him.  If we can end up with a haul of draft picks (2-3 first rounders plus) like have been gained in the recent past, its much safer to take the stockpile of picks and sign a cheap free agent who has proven he can be an NFL qb, build the rest of your team and once you have a good base then get your QB.  IF your a good GM like I think we finally have, you build the base then put the finishing touches on.  The other point I made and stick by is over half of all first round QBs are failures in the NFL.  The GM's who picked them were picking for their careers and still made the picks because they believed in them as player.  Do you think us two idiots arguing on a chat board are smarter than them, doubtful.  My post is what my dumb *** would do, not saying it was the greatest idea ever, but something new to try.  

We have plenty of picks and cap space to help Lawrence.  I hate when people just think we are drafting Lawrence and then expecting him to work with what we got like we aren't going to improve the OL and WR core before next season.  We have plenty of assets to put him in a good position to succeed even with how from things look atm.  It starts with a bright coach but JD is smart enough to see he'll need help and we have money and draft capital to do that.

It's so easy to kick the Jets while they are down but with the right coach, Lawrence, and a GM who will focus on helping a young QB we could turn things around pretty quickly.

Lastly comparing Lawrence to other frost round QBs is where you lose me.  Lawrence is getting graded higher than Andrew Luck was by many scouts.  This kid is being compared to Luck and Manning not jamarcus russell and guys like baker Mayfield.

You take the QB especially when they are prospects like this.  Imagine passing on Manning because you wanted to get extra picks for a CB or a OG in the draft the following year.  Just crazy talk.

Edited by Rockice_8

23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We have plenty of picks and cap space to help Lawrence.  I hate when people just think we are drafting Lawrence and then expecting him to work with what we got like we aren't going to improve the OL and WR core before next season.  We have plenty of assets to put him in a good position to succeed even with how from things look atm.  It starts with a bright coach but JD is smart enough to see he'll need help and we have money and draft capital to do that.

It's so easy to kick the Jets while they are down but with the right coach, Lawrence, and a GM who will focus on helping a young QB we could turn things around pretty quickly.

Lastly comparing Lawrence to other frost round QBs is where you lose me.  Lawrence is getting graded higher than Andrew Luck was by many scouts.  This kid is being compared to Luck and Manning not jamarcus russell and guys like baker Mayfield.

You take the QB especially when they are prospects like this.  Imagine passing on Manning because you wanted to get extra picks for a CB or a OG in the draft the following year.  Just crazy talk.

Yeah because we’ve shown a great ability of doing that through the years 🤥

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agreed with everything. But most experts still have him rated below what Luck and Peyton were. So while he’s an incredible prospect... he isn’t as high as them. For example I think McShay, Kiper and several others have said they have him as there highest rated since Luck... but not as high as him or Peyton 

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah because we’ve shown a great ability of doing that through the years 🤥

Which has zero to do with this GM.  Another horrible take that I hate.  Doesn't mean JD will be great but what Mac did has nothing to do with what JD will.

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Which has zero to do with this GM.  Another horrible take that I hate.  Doesn't mean JD will be great but what Mac did has nothing to do with what JD will.

But JD let our best receiver and Sams go to guy disappear when we had ‘plenty of cap room’. Oh and even better when we have a ******* global pandemic and can’t exactly train/rep with new guys. That’s why keeping your trusted players would of been good but nah JD knows best. Just like Mac and Idzik before him. 

He also didn’t go out and get some dynamic playmakers instead brought in:

-Perriman who had a few decent games for TB but has been a bust so far in his NFL career.

-Traded back in the second when Mims was available (good trade back but not exactly a ringing endorsement for Mims!)

-Frank Gore 🙄

So in a nutshell in a stacked receiver/playmaker class we **** the bed as usual. We also didn’t resign our big play wide out and also didn’t bring in talented playmakers around him (like CLE have done with Baker, BUF have done with Allen and the Ravens have done with Lamar)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, xenajets said:

But JD let our best receiver and Sams go to guy disappear when we had ‘plenty of cap room’. Oh and even better when we have a ******* global pandemic and can’t exactly train/rep with new guys. That’s why keeping your trusted players would of been good but nah JD knows best. Just like Mac and Idzik before him. 

-Perriman who had a few decent games for TB but has been a bust so far in his NFL career.

-Traded back in the second when Mims was available (good trade back but not exactly a ringing endorsement for Mims!)

-Frank Gore 🙄

So in a nutshell in a stacked receiver/playmaker class we **** the bed as usual. We also didn’t resign our big play wide out and also didn’t bring in talented playmakers around him (like CLE have done with Baker, BUF have done with Allen and the Ravens have done with Lamar)

source.gif

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

-Frank Gore 🙄

Our entire offense has been hurt we haven't had all of our WRs on the field at one time plus our OL has been hit hard with injury.  We are the most injured team on the NFL.  I see so many analysts making excuses for Philly but we just suck I guess. 

Robby was probably his biggest mistake and he'd probably admit that but Robby isn't moving the needle he'd be the same player he was last year for us.  He'd have the occasional big game followed up by 2 for 24.  Robby would be trade bait like everyone else if we resigned him.  Can we at least see what our offense looks like with the full compliment of weapons.  I mean does it matter with a kindergartner calling the plays anyway.  This board was luke warm on resigning Robby so let's not pretend it was a no brainier.  I was Robby's biggest supporter on here and I was 50/50 on the idea.

Are we calling for JDs head already now too?  Can we give the guy a chance at least.

Edited by Rockice_8

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Our entire offense has been hurt we haven't had all of our WRs on the field at one time plus our OL has been hit hard with injury.  We are the most injured team on the NFL.  I see so many analysts making excuses for Philly but we just suck I guess. 

Robby was probably his biggest mistake and he'd probably admit that but Robby isn't moving the needle he'd be the same player he was last year for us.  He'd have the occasional big game followed up by 2 for 24.  Robby would be trade bait like everyone else if we resigned him.  Can we at least see what our offense looks like with the full compliment of weapons.  I mean does it matter with a kindergartner calling the plays anyway.  This board was luke warm on resigning Robby so let's not pretend it was a no brainier.  I was Robby's biggest supporter on here and I was 50/50 on the idea.

Are we calling for JDs head already now too?  Can we give the guy a chance at least.

Breshad has been injury prone his entire career. Jamison Crowder has been hurt his entire career. These are JD and Gase's guys. You can't pick up injury prone guys then be surprised when theyre injured. 

Robby looks like the guy with the improved route tree we saw on tape last season, but we have a bad coach who doesnt know how to utilize him and pigeonholed him as a go route king. You can say the Robby thing falls on Gase, and I'd agree to an extent, but Gase doesnt have final say of the roster...JD does. JD hand-picked 4/5 of the starters on this OL. JD replaced Robby with an injury prone lesser version of Robby. Then drafted one WR in a WR rich draft.

For comparisons sake,  the Raiders took two WRs (Ruggs, B. Edwards) then took Lynn Bowden as a weapon for Carr to utilize. The Cowboys took Ceedee Lamb even when they had a proven OL, two proven WRs and a proven RB. The Broncos took two WRs (Hamler, Jeudy), signed an elite talent at RB even when they had two capable backs. Teams that want to help their QB overload on talent. They tell their QB I'm giving you every reason to succeed -- if you can't, we'll find someone who will. JD didnt give Sam that chance this offseason. We don't have much reason for confidence going forward unless JD figures it out. Thats with Sam, Lawrence, or whoever at QB. 

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Injuries have been a killer no doubt but like others have mentioned when you replace Robby (never injured) for a guy who’s been hurt all his career you’d be a fool to think it will change when coming here. We’ve been one of the most unfortunate teams of the last few years with injuries as it is. 

I also like almost every other believe Gase has been disastrous and never should of been hired but yet again most in here said the same back then too. It was such a strange hire from the start. 

As for resigning Robby there’s not even the possibility of being Robbys biggest supporter if you were 50/50. I had repeatedly called for resigning Robby not only because of his talent but of the circumstances surrounding Covid and the lack of preseason/training camps. 

I know a lot out there are calling for JD’s head but I’m not one of those. I think of course he needs to improve but that’s not surprising as a first time GM. However to say you can’t call some of his moves poor and question his future ones based off what’s been shown so far is laughable.

He had two jobs this offseason:

Resign/workout a future deal with Jamal but to most importantly help Sam! He didn’t succeeded with either. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There's no other way to put it... but the offense need to be the focus of the whole offseason. Not just plug in guys either. Im talking actual difference makers. With 3 picks in the top 35 of the draft and 90 mill in cap space... there's no excuses not to.

Because he crashed last off season he will need to hit spots on double. That means he will make bad mistakes like his predecessors.  He claimed that he had plan for Jets so he should stay with it no matter what fans and media said. Light signings? So be it.. Spread the roster positions with draft? So be it.

Let's hope he hits spots as 3x as he misses. Whatever it happens.