2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

This is my big board. I'm only putting my top 5 because we will be picking top 5 at least. I still think we pick number 1. 

1. T Law  (it is not even close. This guy is a once in a generation QB and you NEVER pass on a guy like this)

2. Chase ( You have to have a weapon to throw too. I think Mims, Chase and Crowder is a go combo 3. )

3. Sewell (This guy is a lock and load LT for the next 10 years. He would probably be #1 T if he went out last year.)

4. Surtain ( He is a lock down CB that we have not had since Revis. I remember the good old days of Cro and Revis shutting WR out.)

5. I have like 5 other people here but I find it hard for us to be picking 5. Maybe Fields but I would rather keep Sam than draft Fields. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is my big board. I'm only putting my top 5 because we will be picking top 5 at least. I still think we pick number 1. 

1. T Law  (it is not even close. This guy is a once in a generation QB and you NEVER pass on a guy like this)

2. Chase ( You have to have a weapon to throw too. I think Mims, Chase and Crowder is a go combo 3. )

3. Sewell (This guy is a lock and load LT for the next 10 years. He would probably be #1 T if he went out last year.)

4. Surtain ( He is a lock down CB that we have not had since Revis. I remember the good old days of Cro and Revis shutting WR out.)

5. I have like 5 other people here but I find it hard for us to be picking 5. Maybe Fields but I would rather keep Sam than draft Fields. 

I am on board with that, except:

Sewell - as much as I would love to see a Sewell/Becton combo, it may not really be necessary.  Sewell is worthy of a top 3 pick, no doubt, but we have a good LT and I still think Fant is a decent RT.  Plus we have Edoga as the swing/backup.  One of the other issues with drafting Sewell is who would play RT?  I think Sewell would be an even better LT than Becton, but would you ask Becton to switch to RT?  He may wind up being a little bitter about that considering the $ differential.  Plus he is playing well at LT, he may feel a little slighted.  Would you use a top 3 pick at RT?  I would have to pass on Penei.

Surtain - Alabama CB.  Personal dislike for 'bama CB's with absolutely no reason for that dislike except for one word - Milliner.  I am not to sure about some of the other day 1 or 2 CB's drafted from the Tide.  I will leave that for others to dissect.  I know Shaun Wade un-opted out and played on Saturday.  Shows character.  I did not really notice how he played or where he played.  He was supposed to move to perimeter CB from slot. I have to keep an eye on him.  However, I do not think any of the highly rated CB's will fall to the end of rd. 1 or top of rd. 2.  I also would NOT take a CB or any other position before Lawrence or Fields.

Fields - Watched him for a while on Saturday.  Looked good against Nebraska.  If he can continue that level of play (20 of 21 for 276 yds and 2 TD's), I would not mind drafting him IF Lawrence is gone or unwilling.  He would definitely be an upgrade over our broken Sam.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

You crazy.   Even NFL scouts fell in love with Lance.  Fields may not be available after 3rd.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Ricky I think it is way to early to put player names on our draft picks, We have yet to see any players in the PCC, and the big ten only played one game. Sure we all know what TL, & Justin Fields can due. We have six picks in the first 93 players in the draft.

I should have been more clear. I apologize on this one. 

If we have the #1 pick and able to trade back to #3 and get Fields, I'd do it. 

I'm really open minded to drafting the best players we can get because we need players we can build around on both sides of the ball. Mosely could decline based on the nearly 2 years he's been out for. The good news is that there seems to be talent in the positions we're hoping to improve the most. The truth is, we just need good players everywhere. Becton is the only one we know so far we can build around for the next 3 years on both sides of the ball. 

I'm hoping we find a good young WR to pick up before the draft along with a guard like Thuney. Then try to get young talent at where we could get it.  

54 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am on board with that, except:

Sewell - as much as I would love to see a Sewell/Becton combo, it may not really be necessary.  Sewell is worthy of a top 3 pick, no doubt, but we have a good LT and I still think Fant is a decent RT.  Plus we have Edoga as the swing/backup.  One of the other issues with drafting Sewell is who would play RT?  I think Sewell would be an even better LT than Becton, but would you ask Becton to switch to RT?  He may wind up being a little bitter about that considering the $ differential.  Plus he is playing well at LT, he may feel a little slighted.  Would you use a top 3 pick at RT?  I would have to pass on Penei.

Surtain - Alabama CB.  Personal dislike for 'bama CB's with absolutely no reason for that dislike except for one word - Milliner.  I am not to sure about some of the other day 1 or 2 CB's drafted from the Tide.  I will leave that for others to dissect.  I know Shaun Wade un-opted out and played on Saturday.  Shows character.  I did not really notice how he played or where he played.  He was supposed to move to perimeter CB from slot. I have to keep an eye on him.  However, I do not think any of the highly rated CB's will fall to the end of rd. 1 or top of rd. 2.  I also would NOT take a CB or any other position before Lawrence or Fields.

Fields - Watched him for a while on Saturday.  Looked good against Nebraska.  If he can continue that level of play (20 of 21 for 276 yds and 2 TD's), I would not mind drafting him IF Lawrence is gone or unwilling.  He would definitely be an upgrade over our broken Sam.

Wanting to play LT is an ego thing nowadays but a proven pass protector with successful athleticism guarantees big money no matter where he plays as a tandem.

I would put Sewell at LT and Becton at RT.

The team we really have to worry about is the Jacksonville Jags, they are really tanking, to get the # 1 pick in the 2021 draft. If we do end up with the # 1 overall pick in the draft there will be so much pressure on Joe Douglas to draft TL, he will almost be forced to take TL.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

The team we really have to worry about is the Jacksonville Jags, they are really tanking, to get the # 1 pick in the 2021 draft. If we do end up with the # 1 overall pick in the draft there will be so much pressure on Joe Douglas to draft TL, he will almost be forced to take TL.

He has to. Lawrence is the next big thing and will be a true breathe of fresh air for the organization and fan base. Darnold still has potential and could net us a decent pick depending on the team(Saints, 49ers, Steelers, Colts, Cowboys, Washington, Vikings) all could be in pursuit of a young Quarterback with a late 1st or 2nd round pick+. 

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I don't remember where I saw but someone said Jets could end up 7th if Jets won.  I revisited the draft order and it turned out 6th is only further as possible if Jets won.

I can’t see a team with Ryan and Julio, or Watson and Watt for that matter,  not winning a couple of more games. The NFL East still have to play each other so I think they all get one more win.. I truly believe Burrow and Herbert are going to get a few more wins. Minny and Jax play each other. Two wins and we might be 3rd in which case I‘d select Sewell, FIelds or trade down to a range we can take  Chase, D Smith or Leatherwood. I’m also hoping Seattle loses in the 1st or 2nd round and we get the 20th pick. In any case I want our first 5 or 6 picks to be on offense - wIth at least 2OL, 2 WRS and a RB. Darn at this point I wouldn’t be upset if we only drafted offense unless some defensive player slips to the 5th

• Like 1

If we get the #1 pick we will go Qb. Even if T-Law opts back in college we will start this thing over. Big reason is money. Makes sense to tear it down yet again with a new HC and his own QB who will be on a very low contract for the next four/five years.
Gives us the flexibility to improve the roster and not commit massive money to Sam who in fairness we still don’t know if he will ever be the franchise qb we thought a few years back. 

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Yes

I tend to agree. Have to see how Darnold does the rest of the way. Fields looks impressive... so its certainly possible.

I also think somehow we get a win this year. While we shouldn't win any of the games. There are some winnable games out there. A team like JAX has a tougher schedule than us the rest of the way. And if we both end up with 1 win. They draft ahead of us. And I cant see them not going TLaw. So we then have to decide if we go Fields or stick with Darnold.