2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

For all you folks who love late round picks 5th 6th7th here is a list if those who made the team over the last twenty five years,

Enunwa    in 2014  he was the best of the lot injury prone, and career cut short

Kerley       in 2011 didn't do much for us had a few good games with the 49ers

D ( deep drop) Coleman,   hung around the NFL for six or seven seasons he drove me nuts he would play off ten yards from the receiver. before the snap. With that said he really wasn't a bad player.

All the other players who were drafted in rounds five thru seven never made it

We drafted  a CB from Texas Tech in the early 90s Marcus Coleman who was a pretty good player. He was one of our best late round picks.

All you mock drafters would  of had one heck of a time when we had twelve rounds in the draft back in the sixties

Edited by doumeyer

If we are finally lucky and win the Trevor Lawrence derby, I would absolutely love to double-down on Clemson superstars and take Travis Etienne with the Seattle pick. I think one of the ways we can help Lawrence as a rookie is to have familiarity as much as possible. Etienne is a guy who could make a huge rookie impact, imo. We can have Perine around to back him up, and heck we could even keep Gore around if he wanted to stick around. His leadership could come in very handy with a rookie QB.

Once we get those picks done, I would turn my attention to the O-line and defense. Yeah, we could use more depth at WR but I would not draft a WR too early. Not before shoring up the O-line and the defense. One of the things that is not really talked about from this season (because of how bad the team is in general, and how much Darnold has regressed, the bad playcalling, etc.) is just how far we have regressed defensively since we switched coaches. My goodness is our defense bad. Granted, we have injuries and have had to deal with the loss of Adams, but still. This defense is like Swiss cheese. It needs to be fixed. I think we will need both the draft and free agency to fix the defense. Getting rid of Williams and hiring a much better DC would also help. But we need better personnel. Perhaps the return of Mosley (assuming he returns) might help a bit, but we need more help. 

On the O-line, we are a work in progress. Lots of changes were already made last off-season. Some of the moves were permanent, most were short-term fixes imo. Another stud O-lineman from the draft would be nice. Hopefully, Pat Elflein can also make an impact (either at C or OG). 

Lastly, free agency is where I would like to acquire another WR to help Lawrence, and also some long-needed help with the pass rush. And it would also be nice to acquire some veterans who are born leaders. If Lawrence is going to be the new franchise leader, he is going to need help. We need to bring in guys who have been with successful organizations, and are respected locker room guys. I'm not saying go out and sign Jason Witten, but that type of move would be nice for a Trevor Lawrence in his first NFL campaign. 

First things first: just lose, baby. 

5 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If we are finally lucky and win the Trevor Lawrence derby, I would absolutely love to double-down on Clemson superstars and take Travis Etienne with the Seattle pick. I think one of the ways we can help Lawrence as a rookie is to have familiarity as much as possible. Etienne is a guy who could make a huge rookie impact, imo. We can have Perine around to back him up, and heck we could even keep Gore around if he wanted to stick around. His leadership could come in very handy with a rookie QB.

Once we get those picks done, I would turn my attention to the O-line and defense. Yeah, we could use more depth at WR but I would not draft a WR too early. Not before shoring up the O-line and the defense. One of the things that is not really talked about from this season (because of how bad the team is in general, and how much Darnold has regressed, the bad playcalling, etc.) is just how far we have regressed defensively since we switched coaches. My goodness is our defense bad. Granted, we have injuries and have had to deal with the loss of Adams, but still. This defense is like Swiss cheese. It needs to be fixed. I think we will need both the draft and free agency to fix the defense. Getting rid of Williams and hiring a much better DC would also help. But we need better personnel. Perhaps the return of Mosley (assuming he returns) might help a bit, but we need more help. 

On the O-line, we are a work in progress. Lots of changes were already made last off-season. Some of the moves were permanent, most were short-term fixes imo. Another stud O-lineman from the draft would be nice. Hopefully, Pat Elflein can also make an impact (either at C or OG). 

Lastly, free agency is where I would like to acquire another WR to help Lawrence, and also some long-needed help with the pass rush. And it would also be nice to acquire some veterans who are born leaders. If Lawrence is going to be the new franchise leader, he is going to need help. We need to bring in guys who have been with successful organizations, and are respected locker room guys. I'm not saying go out and sign Jason Witten, but that type of move would be nice for a Trevor Lawrence in his first NFL campaign. 

I’d be on board with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

For all you folks who love late round picks 5th 6th7th here is a list if those who made the team over the last twenty five years,

Enunwa    in 2014  he was the best of the lot injury prone, and career cut short

Kerley       in 2011 didn't do much for us had a few good games with the 49ers

D ( deep drop) Coleman,   hung around the NFL for six or seven seasons he drove me nuts he would play off ten yards from the receiver. before the snap. With that said he really wasn't a bad player.

All the other players who were drafted in rounds five thru seven never made it

We drafted  a CB from Texas Tech in the early 90s Marcus Coleman who was a pretty good player. He was one of our best late round picks.

All you mock drafters would  of had one heck of a time when we had twelve rounds in the draft back in the sixties

I love the end of the draft. Consistent contenders make a living back there. Draft wise, JD is off to a great start. Becton & Mann are pro-bowl leaders right now and Mims has flashed enough to at least be a solid #2 on the field. 

I just wish we didn't need to draft a QB so we could trade back for the mountain of picks. I'm excited about 2021 though. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I love the end of the draft. Consistent contenders make a living back there. Draft wise, JD is off to a great start. Becton & Mann are pro-bowl leaders right now and Mims has flashed enough to at least be a solid #2 on the field. 

I just wish we didn't need to draft a QB so we could trade back for the mountain of picks. I'm excited about 2021 though. 

Well, we could trade for Aaron Rodgers and then we wouldn't need a QB. Otherwise, we do need a quarterback. Very very badly. It all starts there.

I think in an ideal world we grab some sort of combo if drafting 1st... TLaw as the obvious guy and then go WR and RB with the next 2 picks. Hard to tell who will be available. But I’d on the surface while being realistic would love to get...

TLaw, Etienne, Bateman

33 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Agree with all but I would still rather have a WR or CB with Seattle’s pick.  Etienne is a nice RB but I would rather wait until 2022 to draft that stud RB high in the draft depending on how we address it FA next year. Just a personal viewpoint of mine but I would not scream if we did draft Etienne.  For familiarity we can draft Ross or another Clemson WR later in the draft.

As for the D, the DL is OK and with Mosley coming back and Langi playing like his hair is on fire, the focus needs to be on our biggest weakness - CB and Edge. I expect CB to be taken early. There are several good prospects that may be available at the end of rd.1 or early rd. 2.  Edge is tougher to project after the top ones are gone which usually happens at the top of the first round, but if one falls that JD is high on, I would expect him to go after him.

47 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This is just another thing you can blame Macc for, if we took Josh Allen, we still would have the two second round picks we gave the Colt to move up three spots so we could draft Darnold. Macc never made a pick till he heard Mel Kyper, say "he is the best player on the board", the same thing happen when we draft Leo Williams. Macc never did any research or he would not have taken Maye over Devin Cook. If Joe Douglas can hit on our first five or six picks we will be a completely different team.

I’m not nearly as down on the secondary as some are. Bc we have some young talent there. Bryce Hall was nearly like robbing an additional 1st round pick. Ashtyn Davis will take over at FS and should only get better and better. If and that is an IF (I know)... we can resign Poole and Maye. We don’t have a bad secondary and it’s actually a very young secondary. If we could add more of a proven young CB in FA that should be enough IMO.

CB just isn’t a high priority need IMO. Edge and edge only is the only position I’d consider early on defense.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:
17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

don’t have a bad secondary and it’s actually a very young secondary. If we could add more of a proven young CB in FA that should be enough IMO.

I am just not comfortable with big ticket FA CB’s. We have been burned before and I think many never pan out. I would not mind a mid range young FA CB but I would still rather draft a promising prospect high in the draft. Having to depend on Austin, Jackson or Maulet does not inspire confidence. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not nearly as down on the secondary as some are. Bc we have some young talent there. Bryce Hall was nearly like robbing an additional 1st round pick. Ashtyn Davis will take over at FS and should only get better and better. If and that is an IF (I know)... we can resign Poole and Maye. We don’t have a bad secondary and it’s actually a very young secondary. If we could add more of a proven young CB in FA that should be enough IMO.

CB just isn’t a high priority need IMO. Edge and edge only is the only position I’d consider early on defense.

You can say the same thing about edge with the young talent we have there.

CB is a huge need opposite Hall assuming he can prove he's capable these last 7 games.

A lock down CB opposite Hall would do wonders for this defense.  I'm good with looking in FA too for one.

Having the QB hold the ball for another second would allow Q, JFM, Huff etc. to get home.

Edited by Rockice_8

Seems like I am the only one worried about getting a top running back. Even if we end up with Trevor, our offensive will go no where with out a running back who teams have to defend against. Look at all the good passing teams in the NFL they all have good running backs .We even had outstanding RB when we had bad teams. Am I asking to much to get another Freeman Mc Neil. John Riggins, Matt Snell, or Curtis Martin., Emerson Boozer, i will even take a Johnny Hector. type .And please tell me we can get one in the fifth, six or seventh round

Edited by doumeyer