Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

You simply can’t expect the defense to hold a playoff team to 9 points, and two missed field goals. 

What’s ignorant, is ignoring the struggles of the offense because of the success of the defense. 

Agreed. In a rematch, I seriously doubt we keep the Falcons out of the end zone. The Rams and Saints have potent offenses, they won't be easy wins. The Panthers already put up 31 on us.

the defense is elite, certainly won't question that. The offense must deliver more in the playoffs than what we've seen this past month. Outside of the shredding against the Bengals, we've looked stale.  

51 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You just love those flippant remarks, don’t you?

We got into scoring position 3 times in that game, Atlanta got into scoring position 5 times. That game should not have been anywhere near that close of a game. And if our offense plays like that again against Atlanta, or any of the other playoff teams, I would not expect to win. 

9 possessions that game.  

1st possession- 5 plays punt
2nd possession-got into fg range and took sack to get knocked out of range
3rd possession- Touchdown
4th possession- 3 and out
5th possession- got into scoring position but time ran out HALF
6th possession-Multiple penalties ended in 3 and out
7th Possession-Touchdown
8th possession-7 plays, Could not overcome illegal chop block penalty
9th possession-Final possession, started with 5 minutes left in game and closed the game out all the way down to the Atlanta 10

The only thing that stopped us in the 2nd half of that game was penalties.   We were still 50% on third down and were never really in danger of losing that game.   Also, Atlanta got into scoring position 4 times that game.   The same amount of times we did.  

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Keenum is going to have to make plays that we have not seen him make yet, and that we’ve seen him miss frequently during the regular season, for the Vikings to roll through the playoffs. 

I don’t know about that. Case has missed some plays, but he has also made them. A lot of times with his legs, either extending plays or running for first downs. He’s also displayed a willingness to make throws on 3rd and long that can actually get first downs, as opposed some of our previous QB’s.

Hes not perfect or proven but he’s had his moments.And statistically he’s had more good moments than bad.

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You simply can’t expect the defense to hold a playoff team to 9 points, and two missed field goals. And how is it a disservice to the defense? It shouldn’t have been that close of a game. The defense played a game that should have meant a double digit point win. Our offense, however, failed to capitalize on a number of opportunities.

What’s ignorant, is ignoring the struggles of the offense because of the success of the defense. 

Better to go by what did happen instead of what could've happened.

Obviously, every team would love to score 50 points every week. But that doesn't mean you need that sort of production in order to win games.

Playcalling changes depending on game situations. We were never in a position where we were trailing by more than 3 points in that game. I'm not saying we had a perfect offensive game that day. But the offense did enough to win the game that day, just as it's done 12 other times this season. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

That's how this coaching staff will approach every game. Do what it takes to win that game.

I don't expect the defense to hold a playoff team to 9 points every time, but if it does happen, I know that all the team has to do in order to win that game is score 10 points. That's all that matters.

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

I don’t know about that. Case has missed some plays, but he has also made them. A lot of times with his legs, either extending plays or running for first downs. He’s also displayed a willingness to make throws on 3rd and long that can actually get first downs, as opposed some of our previous QB’s.

Hes not perfect or proven but he’s had his moments.And statistically he’s had more good moments than bad.

He’s actually been one of the least successful QBs in the league on third and 6 plus. Small sample size due to early down success, but 3rd and long situations are not one of Keenum’s strong points.

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He’s actually been one of the least successful QBs in the league on third and 6 plus. Small sample size due to early down success, but 3rd and long situations are not one of Keenum’s strong points.

Correct. Someone posted the tweet here a while back, but he’s top 3, maybe even #1, on 3rd and 5 or less, but he’s near the bottom for 3rd and 6 or more. 

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

New Year.  New cherry-picked, statistically non-credible, stat.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Correct. Someone posted the tweet here a while back, but he’s top 3, maybe even #1, on 3rd and 5 or less, but he’s near the bottom for 3rd and 6 or more. 

Quick!  How many of those 3rd & longs were a direct result of penalties, such as holding on 1st or 2nd down, that created 2nd & 15 or 1st & 20?  Tick, tock, tick, tock.  How does that compare to other teams' QBs 3rd & long situations?

If not many of the 3rd & long downs were due to penalties, Shame on Shurmur!, er, um, I meant... Shame on Keenum!

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Better to go by what did happen instead of what could've happened.

Obviously, every team would love to score 50 points every week. But that doesn't mean you need that sort of production in order to win games.

Playcalling changes depending on game situations. We were never in a position where we were trailing by more than 3 points in that game. I'm not saying we had a perfect offensive game that day. But the offense did enough to win the game that day, just as it's done 12 other times this season. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

That's how this coaching staff will approach every game. Do what it takes to win that game.

I don't expect the defense to hold a playoff team to 9 points every time, but if it does happen, I know that all the team has to do in order to win that game is score 10 points. That's all that matters.

^^ This exactly

To suggest the offense would have went the same for the rest of the Atlanta game if the Falcons had put up more than 9 points is hilarious. If the Falcons were able to make more out of any of those opportunities it would have changed how the offense approached their offensive series after that. The Offense did exactly what it needed to do in that game. I am sure that Zimmer doesn't want the offense taking unnecessary risks to run up the score college style when the defense is shutting the Falcons down like they did.

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

sTo suggest the offense would have went the same for the rest of the Atlanta game if the Falcons had put up more than 9 points is hilarious. If the Falcons were able to make more out of any of those opportunities it would have changed how the offense approached their offensive series after that. The Offense did exactly what it needed to do in that game. I am sure that Zimmer doesn't want the offense taking unnecessary risks to run up the score college style when the defense is shutting the Falcons down like they did.

I think Zimmer in slow playing the offense and can crank it up if need be. For now, why given the opponent more tape to study. I think the Vikings have more offense just saving it until needed.

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That wasn't what Worm said. He said he's shown a willingness to throw past the sticks in these plays (remember the Bradford debates last year?), not that he's been the best in the league.

Archived