Troy Vincent: NFL Still Planning for Full Stadiums

naptownskinsfan

And while they are planning for full stadiums, they are also planning for scenarios with 3/4 and 1/2 capacity stadiums.  

“We are planning to have full stadiums until the medical community tells us otherwise,” NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told Brian Mitchell Friday on The Team 980, via NBC Sports Washington. “Now, remember when we’re talking — we’re talking about September, August, September. So there’s a lot that can happen here. So we’re planning for full stadiums.”

This public statement meshes with what we’ve been hearing privately for weeks, that the league believes circumstances will change sufficiently by September to allow both for games to proceed and for fans to attend them. From advances in diagnostic testing to advances in antigen testing to a better understanding of what it means to test positive for coronavirus antibodies, it’s entirely possible that anyone who chooses to show up for games will be permitted to do so.

This doesn’t mean the plans are set in stone.

“We also know that we have to plan for half stadiums,” Vincent said. “Three-quarters. So we’re planning for all of these different scenarios. But first and foremost, we’re making every effort, working with the medical community, if we can have those stadiums with all people until they tell us otherwise when that time comes, that’s our plan. That’s our plan of action.”

Read More: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/23/troy-vincent-nfl-still-planning-for-new-stadiums/

The teams still plan to be following this as well.  I am a Redskins season ticket holder, and aside from deferring payments for now, they have operated as a normal off-season.  They are proceeding forward with the ticket upgrade window this week, and are selling single tickets.  After this, they should be onto opening up for new season ticket holders.  

At the very least, mine are all paid in full, so if there comes a point when they cut things off and only people who have tickets can attend, I'm set.  

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Will be interesting to see if some states allow it and others don't. 

I'd imagine it'll be an issue in California and New York. (Although I guess for the Jets/Giants it would technically be up to the state of New Jersey)

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I'd imagine it'll be an issue in California and New York. (Although I guess for the Jets/Giants it would technically be up to the state of New Jersey)

Maryland's governor has already said that the governors will decide on the public events, so they are going to take a hard line for that.  

Gonna be a tough sell for football to move games around like they are talking for baseball, but since a football field is a football field, they can play at any college stadium if there aren't fans.  

I am not sure how many other teams are in the Redskins situation, but the team is headquartered in Virginia, and plays in Maryland.  That's going to be an interesting one.  

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

New York just got cleared for training camp, but that only applies to the Bills. Still waiting on NJ for Jets/Giants. It might be a while; Murphy seems to be really making sure of everything before opening anything up. 

13 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Well.

I guess football's gonna spread corona like crazy. 

Especially if they serve food. 

We all want football and normalcy back but this is just stupid. 

Forget food, just think about beer and on the hot days, water.  

I think plans to have stadiums at 50% capacity, or even 33%, would be the best solution to spread people out.  I would even pay a little more for my tickets to cover that, and I'm seeing a much more inferior product than most of the rest of you. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

What do you suggest?

Plan for the worst hope for the best.

The NFL's already gonna have a major problem keeping the virus from spreading among employees, refs, medical people, players, coaches, trainers etc. 

Let alone 70,000+ fans. 

• Like 1