Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone Mafia Game Thread: Game Over - Slytherin Wins

SwAg

37 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Squire almost played his role better than I ever expected, but unfortunately drew the double-dip kill because he somehow accused every single non-Town in the game in one post.  I laughed out loud when I read that.

Yeah, squire was literally the only player in the game at that point who worried me would piece everything together and run train on scum.

killing him first was a no brainer.

50 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Game MVP: @Tk3

Scum MVP: @Tk3

Most Entertaining:  @Dome

Town MVP:  @squire12

Honorable Mention Town MVP: @JoshstraDaymus

Miscellaneous Thoughts:

Hobo played very well, but he benefited immensely from the other scum team saving him on multiple occasions. 

If D1 is not a disaster and N1 is not canceled, Josh is likely Game MVP with a Town stomp of scum, as his targets were on.

Squire almost played his role better than I ever expected, but unfortunately drew the double-dip kill because he somehow accused every single non-Town in the game in one post.  I laughed out loud when I read that.

tk3 received the nod for MVP due to threadplay and self-restraint, on top of leading his team to a victory despite a largely absent team.  Plus, regardless of how well any individual Town played, it would be difficult for me to overlook the hubris involved in your Day 1 that basically took the game from a 7-9 day game to a 5-day laugher.

This atrocity will be remembered in the annals of history. The fact that you gave squire town mvp for copying my list will never be forgotten.

13 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Yeah, squire was literally the only player in the game at that point who worried me would piece everything together and run train on scum.

killing him first was a no brainer.

lmao. I hate each one of you. But I have double the hate for you saying this. 

(I dont really hate you)

Random assortment of thoughts from this game

• The N1 triple lynch was SOOO glorious. I stand by my belief that I would push that regardless of alignment, but KNOWING that I was getting 3 mislynches was beautiful
  • Hilarious that Squire got a free death, and it was wasted by getting hit twice on the same night
  • Still curious what exactly made Forge and Counselor play like the twins all game. Didn't see anything in the role writeups that should have given them the level of confidence they had all game. It was kind of annoying, and not in the "thorn in my side" way, but more in the "twins that stay in lock step, only address each other, and act like they are the only two players of import in the game" kind of way
  • The quidditch match was a SERIOUS blunder on our end. I really didn't expect people to "auto clear" half the game solely based off of that
  • I still hate the mass claiming aspects that are forced. I am still such a mafia traditionalist that I like power roles to be "town vig" or "town cop" and even if everyone has a role, they don't have a name. I get that our themes/flavor demand it, but the purist in me hates it
  • ET's census was a disaster as well. The upside is that it all gave me tools to craft analytical threadplay as opposed to trying to appeal to senses of trust, which I am much worse at
  • I spent the entire second half of the game fighting back my internal pushback on "Malf would let TK buss him" as if Malf had anything to do with it. Disrespectful
  • How Snape was NEVER considered as being aligned with Slytherin was beyond me. Eventually I realized it wasn't going anywhere and I was just using it as threadplay, but I'm shocked that in a game that is SPECIFICALLY book 1, people would assume Hogwarts aligned BLINDLY over Slytherin aligned
  • This is another example why leaving "others" in the game if you don't have a strong beat on true scum is dangerous. They can say "win with any alignment" as much as they want, but this game was clear that they were targeting civs and it made our jobs much, much easier
  • Thanks for the game @SwAg. It was a fun one
Edited by Tk3
  • Like 1

Yeah, I put Snape in as Hogwarts-Aligned as a nod to Snape’s continuous devotion to the school and backstory, but also as a red flag for Town to consider as the Head of Slytherin.  I surmise that people dismissed it based on thread play, because in a vacuum, I could see why you would think he’s Town.

11 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Still curious what exactly made Forge and Counselor play like the twins all game. Didn't see anything in the role writeups that should have given them the level of confidence they had all game. It was kind of annoying, and not in the "thorn in my side" way, but more in the "twins that stay in lock step, only address each other, and act like they are the only two players of import in the game" kind of way

Because he was clearly 100% town, which meant I could trust him

@Tk3 per your question, I had a 60% chance of finding your alignment N1, 20% chance of getting it blocked, and 20% chance of getting the wrong result. TBH, if I was blocked from your alignment result, I probably just try to kill you N2.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Tk3 per your question, I had a 60% chance of finding your alignment N1, 20% chance of getting it blocked, and 20% chance of getting the wrong result. TBH, if I was blocked from your alignment result, I probably just try to kill you N2.

In that case I am 80% glad you died and 20% wish you would have lived

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Yeah, I put Snape in as Hogwarts-Aligned as a nod to Snape’s continuous devotion to the school and backstory, but also as a red flag for Town to consider as the Head of Slytherin.  I surmise that people dismissed it based on thread play, because in a vacuum, I could see why you would think he’s Town.

(source material rant)

F Snape and his “backstory“ and “continuous devotion”

Dude is one of the biggest POS in recent popular fiction, and no “eventual allegiance” will convince me otherwise

I understand your logic in giving his alignment, but I will never skip a chance to call the character out for what he is and fight this narrative that somehow he is a “good guy”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

(source material rant)

F Snape and his “backstory“ and “continuous devotion”

Dude is one of the biggest POS in recent popular fiction, and no “eventual allegiance” will convince me otherwise

I understand your logic in giving his alignment, but I will never skip a chance to call the character out for what he is and fight this narrative that somehow he is a “good guy”

No, nothing to do with Snape’s redemption arc / alignment reveal, or trying to portray him as a “good guy.”  Simply the dedication to the school, which does not make anyone a good person: see Umbridge, Voldemort.

4 hours ago, SwAg said:

Game MVP: @Tk3

Scum MVP: @Tk3

Most Entertaining:  @Dome

Town MVP:  @squire12

Honorable Mention Town MVP: @JoshstraDaymus

Miscellaneous Thoughts:

Hobo played very well, but he benefited immensely from the other scum team saving him on multiple occasions. 

If D1 is not a disaster and N1 is not canceled, Josh is likely Game MVP with a Town stomp of scum, as his targets were on.

tk3 received the nod for MVP due to threadplay and self-restraint, on top of leading his team to a victory despite a largely absent team.  Plus, regardless of how well any individual Town played, it would be difficult for me to overlook the hubris involved in your Day 1 that basically took the game from a 7-9 day game to a 5-day laugher.

This is the biggest endorsement of a game for myself as I’ve ever had and I accept it as canon.