Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im not sure what it is. Maybe his release, height, footwork or something but he 100% misses high nearly everytime he misses. There is something there but Im not sure what it is.

I’m not a QB coach, but based on my days of walking batters as a pitcher, usually it’s weight transfer and follow through.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying he doesn’t have issues, but his height is absolutely not a limiting factor, never has been and never will be.

It may not be, but there are other traits you have to have to get over being a smaller QB. The problem comes from he doesnt seem to have those other traits that combat his stature.

The thing Brees does so well is that he is a footwork magician in the pocket sliding around to find passing lanes, Wilson/Murray have elite athleticism to escape pressure. Baker does neither of those 2 things well so hes just a short QB and that hinders him until he develops that Brees level footwork in the pocket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not a QB coach, but based on my days of walking batters as a pitcher, usually it’s weight transfer and follow through.

When you talk about your playing days as an athlete on the internet you need to compare yourself to pro athletes and usually say you would do better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, it seems like he drops his back shoulder a ton when hes throwing from the pocket. I know with golf that this also leads to a bunch of slicing the ball lol I just always thought it might be because he is trying to throw over the line and LBs

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying he doesn’t have issues, but his height is absolutely not a limiting factor, never has been and never will be.

I was agreeing with you :)

We saw a guy show elite arm strength, ball placement, throwing confidently in rhythm and lead us to a win Sunday. He did it all from a completely clean pocket without any pressure.

Hes shown that’s what he can and will do, but why teams don’t blitz him every snap is solely based upon our running game and boot passes from a scheme standpoint.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

It may not be, but there are other traits you have to have to get over being a smaller QB. The problem comes from he doesnt seem to have those other traits that combat his stature.

The thing Brees does so well is that he is a footwork magician in the pocket sliding around to find passing lanes, Wilson/Murray have elite athleticism to escape pressure. Baker does neither of those 2 things well so hes just a short QB and that hinders him until he develops that Brees level footwork in the pocket.

Footwork can be learned.  That said, they literally just changed his footwork this offseason.  That doesn’t become second nature in a couple months.

He needs to stop being so twitched up in the pocket, he needs to step in to throws more consistently and he needs make sure he’s transferring weight appropriately on the follow through.

Other than that I think he needs to be in the hurry up a bit more so he can just grip it and rip it and stop overthinking each passes.  When he makes his read and let’s it fly like he did Sunday, he’s... dangerous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

When you talk about your playing days as an athlete on the internet you need to compare yourself to pro athletes and usually say you would do better.

Well I would.

I would walk more batters than any pro pitcher you’ve ever seen and I’d be willing to wager a good deal on that fact.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the 5th year option on Baker will be cost wise? 

I heard on the radio that it would be in the 25 million range but that sounded way to high. I didn't think that was the case but I couldn't find a situation where that contract was not extended or redone instead of just playing it out for a 1st overall pick. 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Footwork can be learned.  That said, they literally just changed his footwork this offseason.  That doesn’t become second nature in a couple months.

He needs to stop being so twitched up in the pocket, he needs to step in to throws more consistently and he needs make sure he’s transferring weight appropriately on the follow through.

Other than that I think he needs to be in the hurry up a bit more so he can just grip it and rip it and stop overthinking each passes.  When he makes his read and let’s it fly like he did Sunday, he’s... dangerous.

yeah I watched his rookie highlights and the 1 thing that is noticable is that he was much calmer in the pocket and hung in there to make throws. Thats where I say last season with Freddie broke him mentally. Ouside of last game, he no longer has that same poise in the pocket to stand in there and deliver the ball. He gets jittery like you said and takes off running.

The ability is in there somewhere because we already saw it. I just need AVP to get it back out of him.

1 minute ago, JDD said:

Does anyone know what the 5th year option on Baker will be cost wise? 

I heard on the radio that it would be in the 25 million range but that sounded way to high. I didn't think that was the case but I couldn't find a situation where that contract was not extended or redone instead of just playing it out for a 1st overall pick. 

It’s the average of the top 10 contracts at his position iirc.

But yeah, like 25. Which isn’t crazy really, that’s about what a starting QB not on a rookie deal costs.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s the average of the top 10 contracts at his position iirc.

But yeah, like 25. Which isn’t crazy really, that’s about what a starting QB not on a rookie deal costs.

Guess it's just crazy since the rookie deals are about 35 for 4 years, not that starting QB's don't make a ton (tonne for our friends across the pond) of money. 

I didn't know it was averaged like that for the 5th year. I figured it was more based off the existing contract with a bump. 

• Like 1

IMO the high throws are a result of throwing off his back foot/not stepping up due to bad habits. He got into some bad habits and that takes time and reps to fix. That’s also why he’s a bit Gun shy when facing pressure. It has nothing to do with height. I had this as my biggest criticism of him going back to college. Watch the 2nd half of the UGA game when they started sending various disguised pressure looks and fronts. Those bad habits caught up with him. It doesn’t mean it’s not fixable, but it’s a concern.

8 minutes ago, JDD said:

Guess it's just crazy since the rookie deals are about 35 for 4 years, not that starting QB's don't make a ton (tonne for our friends across the pond) of money. 

I didn't know it was averaged like that for the 5th year. I figured it was more based off the existing contract with a bump. 

The cost depends where you were drafted.

Top 10 picks cost more I believe 

• Like 1