Browns General Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Eh, I look at it as a good thing.  In his own strange way, he's saying that we have a really strong roster.

The perceived diss on Baker is his mistake.

Then why use that list of teams and not the Packers, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Steelers...? It isn't "these teams are always bad but look at that talent" because the Patriots are on the list. It has to be QB driven. Take Lamar off of the Ravens and they have a really strong roster. Same with GB and the other teams. Maybe the Ravens wouldn't have won a playoff game without their starting QB but our QB also won one so...

The only way I can read it to make sense to me is if no team had a good QB these teams would be good. Or in other words, he doesn't think we have a good QB. I'd rather people just say it to be honest.

He also said if you ignore the QB position the Browns are the most talented team in the NFL.

I don't personally think that is accurate, we have great running backs, a great D.E. and a lot of good players on the offensive line, a CB, a WR or two, a decent stable of tight ends. We have talent and top 10 talent but I doubt I'd go top 5.

He did say Baker took a big leap in 2020 (it was more a case of the offensive line taking a big leap but whatever) and if he takes another leap this year they are Superbowl contenders. I believe that is true, but I also believe we were contenders last year. We struggled with Covid down the stretch and pretty much lost the difference making of Myles to Covid and still had a real chance to pull off a win against KC in the divisional round and take on the Bills. Yeah, Allen would have been a nightmare running the ball but maybe they wouldn't have stopped us either.

I don't know if he is intentionally lumping in the Browns as a talented team with a subpar QB or just did it subconsciously.

Also he said he has been driving the Browns bandwagon for years (not sure why, unless he was a Hue supporter) and is complaining about Browns fans complaining about him not being sold on Baker and wants us to be realistic about Baker. He needs to see more than one year of strong play before crowning a QB. He was already sold on Murray and Allen though during the season last year when they were #1 and #6 best players under 25. No Mayfield on that list btw.

He was anti-Allen and pro Baker going into the Draft. Obviously he doesn't let that be a bias which is cool but he certainly doesn't talk like someone who thinks Baker is above average.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He also said if you ignore the QB position the Browns are the most talented team in the NFL.

I don't personally think that is accurate, we have great running backs, a great D.E. and a lot of good players on the offensive line, a CB, a WR or two, a decent stable of tight ends. We have talent and top 10 talent but I doubt I'd go top 5.

He did say Baker took a big leap in 2020 (it was more a case of the offensive line taking a big leap but whatever) and if he takes another leap this year they are Superbowl contenders. I believe that is true, but I also believe we were contenders last year. We struggled with Covid down the stretch and pretty much lost the difference making of Myles to Covid and still had a real chance to pull off a win against KC in the divisional round and take on the Bills. Yeah, Allen would have been a nightmare running the ball but maybe they wouldn't have stopped us either.

I don't know if he is intentionally lumping in the Browns as a talented team with a subpar QB or just did it subconsciously.

Also he said he has been driving the Browns bandwagon for years (not sure why, unless he was a Hue supporter) and is complaining about Browns fans complaining about him not being sold on Baker and wants us to be realistic about Baker. He needs to see more than one year of strong play before crowning a QB. He was already sold on Murray and Allen though during the season last year when they were #1 and #6 best players under 25. No Mayfield on that list btw.

He was anti-Allen and pro Baker going into the Draft. Obviously he doesn't let that be a bias which is cool but he certainly doesn't talk like someone who thinks Baker is above average.

I'm with you that his point was a bit vague.  It wasn't very well though out.

Based on all the back-pedaling he's doing, I'm sure he regrets the tweet lol.

12 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'm with you that his point was a bit vague.  It wasn't very well though out.

Based on all the back-pedaling he's doing, I'm sure he regrets the tweet lol.

Is he back pedaling? I just read where he was complaining about Browns fans not being realistic about Baker.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Is he back pedaling? I just read where he was complaining about Browns fans not being realistic about Baker.

What is “realistic”? 

I’m not sure we know what Baker’s ceiling can be.  When he’s on he’s as good as anyone.  He’s also shown he can be a “game manager”.  

What are we supposed to be viewing his ceiling as?

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What is “realistic”? 

I’m not sure we know what Baker’s ceiling can be.  When he’s on he’s as good as anyone.  He’s also shown he can be a “game manager”.  

His ceiling is unreal ball placement, I think he can be the best in the league in terms of accuracy.

He is limited by height and mobility and strength. 

He has no problem with arm strength. 

His play style comp is drew brees. They are in different geographic circumstances, dome vs outdoors in Ohio and vastly different schemes. Also Drew never had the coaching adversity that Baker has had in his 1st 3 years 

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What is “realistic”? 

I don't think it's about a ceiling. The list of teams have starting QBs of: Baker, Daniel Jones, Cam Newton, Fitzmagic, Drew Lock and Jimmy G.

Cam used to be decent and was great one year. Jimmy G. still has promise he has one season with more than 7 passing TDs.

Colts have a lot of talent, why aren't they listed with Wentz?

19 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

A bit of back-pedaling here.

Yet he is sold on Josh Allen who has one good season. Baker has 2. Considering Baker to be better than Drew Lock, Daniel Jones etc... isn't being unrealistic. Putting him in the same category as them is unrealistic and that is what he did and I can't believe it was unintentional, he removed those specific teams with intent. I don't think he expected backlash, or maybe he did and that was the goal, I dunno.

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

His ceiling is unreal ball placement, I think he can be the best in the league in terms of accuracy.

He is limited by height and mobility and strength. 

He has no problem with arm strength. 

His play style comp is drew brees. They are in different geographic circumstances, dome vs outdoors in Ohio and vastly different schemes. Also Drew never had the coaching adversity that Baker has had in his 1st 3 years 

Baker has decent mobility. He has quick twitch and decent top end speed. He isn't Lamar or Josh Allen or Russell Wilson but he isn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady either.

Sure, he is limited by height. It isn't something you can't prepare for. Not sure what strength indicates. Trucking a defender?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What is “realistic”? 

IMO his ceiling is prime Brett Favre with his gunslinger ability and arm strength.

IMO his floor is Jay Cutler with his gunslinger mentality and carelessness at times with the football and “streakiness”.

So, floor is a frustrating average starter in the NFL...ceiling is a HOF.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO his ceiling is prime Brett Favre with his gunslinger ability and arm strength.

IMO his floor is Jay Cutler with his gunslinger mentality and carelessness at times with the football and “streakiness”.

So, floor is a frustrating average starter in the NFL...ceiling is a HOF.

After OBJ went down last year he threw 20 td’s and 3 picks.

I think he has the ability to be very efficient and not turn the ball over.  That’s who he was in college.

He takes some chances, but every QB does, especially when you HAVE to put points on the board to win games because your defense is abysmal.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After OBJ went down last year he threw 20 td’s and 3 picks.

I think he has the ability to be very efficient and not turn the ball over.  That’s who he was in college.

He takes some chances, but every QB does, especially when you HAVE to put points on the board to win games because your defense is abysmal.

I’m speaking strictly from a best and worse case scenario. Floor Jay Cutler is an average (almost literally per the metrics) starting NFL QB.