Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

If Hunt has a good season. Holding out might hurt him tho. 

Maybe, but doubtful. Barring injury I dont see any way in which Chubb doesnt have well over 1,000 yards rushing which would maintain his value. Hunt would also always have that off field stuff over his head as well so that would still factor into any type of season he has

If the team has success this year, meaning deep playoff run, stability in the locker room, no dysfunkshin on the coaching staff.  I see a year 3 from this tandem.

That is a BIG if, but I do think Hunt WANTS to stay, and this year will determine how many eggs are in that basket.

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Denver as a whole has sucked the last few years. Leary was more than fine in Dallas.

True, but Leary was brought into Denver because of the production he has in DAL.  He was nowhere close to living up to the billing and was always off the field because of injuries and when he got back on, he would draw holding penalties all over the place.

Doesnt mean the Browns dont need him because if he passes a physical, he is def. a upgrade over Teller but hes just not some super reliable plug and play guy for 16 games

31 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Maybe, but doubtful. Barring injury I dont see any way in which Chubb doesnt have well over 1,000 yards rushing which would maintain his value. Hunt would also always have that off field stuff over his head as well so that would still factor into any type of season he has

Im just saying. If the team has a very solid to good back up RB, holding out as a RB doesnt work. Ask Gordon that and Bell that.

Nothing like that should factor into that for Hunt and what he does on the field. If hunt looks good with the touches he gets which to go along with his performance before him and KC parted ways, Hunt could easily be the #1 back here. Hunt really takes a lot of leverage away from Chubb

24 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we decided to move on from OBJ rather than Chubb if it came down to it.

whats easier to fine, A stud RB or a stud WR? Also the Browns are going to be in a system that can easily pop out RBs that can produce at a high level. Lets not forget that Hunt has the potential to be better than Chubb and might be cheaper long term.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buno67 said:

whats easier to fine, A stud RB or a stud WR? Also the Browns are going to be in a system that can easily pop out RBs that can produce at a high level. Lets not forget that Hunt has the potential to be better than Chubb and might be cheaper long term.

It totally depends on whether last year was an abnormality for OBJ (my bet) or the new normal (recency bias). If it's the new normal, you move on from him just because you'll be able to find equal production for less cost. If it's an abnormality due to health, you keep OBJ no question.

I love Chubb. I think Chubb is a top 5 NFL RB right now. I still would not give him a Zeke/Henry/Gurley type contract. They just never work out. RBs that stay productive and healthy to age 30 are so rare that it just isn't worth gambling on. And that sucks for RBs who are stuck on a rookie salary, but I can't control that. I just look at the history of mega-contract RBs and I gotta say no thanks.

10 minutes ago, FGK said:

It totally depends on whether last year was an abnormality for OBJ (my bet) or the new normal (recency bias). If it's the new normal, you move on from him just because you'll be able to find equal production for less cost. If it's an abnormality due to health, you keep OBJ no question.

I love Chubb. I think Chubb is a top 5 NFL RB right now. I still would not give him a Zeke/Henry/Gurley type contract. They just never work out. RBs that stay productive and healthy to age 30 are so rare that it just isn't worth gambling on. And that sucks for RBs who are stuck on a rookie salary, but I can't control that. I just look at the history of mega-contract RBs and I gotta say no thanks.

Agreed, OBJ hasnt performed like OBJ since 2016. I understand there are a bunch of factors that feed into that but at somepoint he needs to perform like his salary says and how people around the league view him as. Frankly the whirlwind of off field media stuff he brings every year along with his huge salary does not match the 75 catch 1,000 yard WR seasons he has had recently. That specifically is one of the reasons the Giants made him available in the first place.

Edited by AkronsWitness

So the chiefs are signing Kelce to a long term deal as well.

Can we stop stressing over the salary cap? It’s foolish at this point.

The chiefs are spending insane amounts of money and winning. Yet you have Browns fans who think you can only sustain long term success by playing small ball.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

I mean, that depends on which way they're trending. If our stud WR puts up another disappointing year and Chubb continues trending towards becoming the 2nd best RB to ever play for our team, then it's not an easy decision to make. Chubb can be a legendary, HOF player and he has the best attitude/demeanor on the entire team. I'm FAR from the type of fan that criticizes OBJ (I'm always defending him) but if we're going to directly compare him to Chubb, then I have to put some value on Chubb's attitude. Hunt is unreliable off the field.

I'm also not buying this new herd-like mentality around the NFL that we can just swap RBs in and out as if it's nothing. I understand the value of a RB vs. WR, but we're looking at more than just positional value here.

Edited by Vee-Rex

53 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The chiefs are spending insane amounts of money and winning. Yet you have Browns fans who think you can only sustain long term success by playing small ball.

Sort of insane but how does they pay Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Schwartz, Mathieu and Jones high level money. I would love to look at their cap breakdown

54 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Chiefs will soon have a roster composed of Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and 49 vet minimum players.

They're cashing in now BECAUSE they have had success, and it has worked since Mahomes is playing at a HOF level. We'd be idiots to spend everything and we haven't won more than 7 games in over a decade. Not to mention our QB's name isn't Mahomes so we need to be smart about our spending until we know FOR SURE Baker is our franchise QB.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

The Chiefs will soon have a roster composed of Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and 49 vet minimum players.

And they’ll win more games than money ball has ever won.

Them, Philly, and New Orleans are winning rings when we’re winning the salary cap sweepstakes.

People point to the Rams and their cap struggles. So what? They win more than Cleveland, Indy, and Cinci. The salary cap darlings who never do anything.

Having salary cap space simply means you don’t have good enough players worth paying.

Edited by candyman93

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll stop stressing over it until I see what next years cap will look like. This years economic impact will effect next years cap.