Browns General Discussion

candyman93

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Read an interesting question the other day:

Is a backup QB more valuable than a starting RB?

There is no excuse in having a bad group of runningbacks 

Hunt, Ford and Strong were good enough.

You can do that for 6 million.

With qbs tou can spend 65 million per year and still get it wrong. Bad qb play tanks a season faster than bad runningbzck play.

The value of the positions and the skill and practice required to be good enough at the postions as well as amount of good people make the markets so asymmetrical the comparison become hyper nuanced.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Yes. A garbage qb can ruin a season. If we had to go the rest of last season with dtr and walker instead of Flacco we would have had a losing record. 

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

DTR era

2023-2023

Maybe.  I don think this is nearly that significant as of now though.

We had 4 QBs in camp last year, and most years iirc, I’m not sure this is anything more than that.

I do think it’s possible DTR is traded or cut if he hasn’t improved though, which is reasonable.

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

DTR era

2023-2023

I'll be honest.  I don't know why people are reading so much into a QB who is accepting the veteran minimum.

We carry 4 QB's though the pre-season. What makes us think this year will be any different.

I don't think it means anything about Watson, or Winston or DTR.  I think it was just an opportunity they saw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I'll be honest.  I don't know why people are reading so much into a QB who is accepting the veteran minimum.

We carry 4 QB's though the pre-season. What makes us think this year will be any different.

I don't think it means anything about Watson, or Winston or DTR.  I think it was just an opportunity they saw. 

Huntley is only a year and a half older and he’s better. I think DTR was an old rookie way behind the growth curve and destined for practice squad personally.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Huntley is only a year and a half older and he’s better. I think DTR was an old rookie way behind the growth curve and destined for practice squad personally.

That's certainly possible.

That being said if Huntley was really good, he wouldn't be available for a vet minimum.

But maybe your right and DTR will be available to waive and sent to the PS.

18 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Yes, unfortunately the RB position has been devalued and having a good backup QB can save a coach’s job , some have even won a Super Bowl with a deep run.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Also it’s crazy how many people have soured on DTR. I thought he had a decent skill set for where he was and showed great flashes, I still think he can be at least a Tyrod Taylor type guy in the league.

What’s even wilder is people thinking he has a noodle arm lol 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s even wilder is people thinking he has a noodle arm lol 

It doesn’t matter what kind of arm he has. If he’s afraid to throw. Which he showed last year he’s useless. Walker had a huge arm too but couldn’t use it. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It doesn’t matter what kind of arm he has. If he’s afraid to throw. Which he showed last year he’s useless. Walker had a huge arm too but couldn’t use it. 

I mean, he was a 5th round rookie who at the time had the responsibility of keeping us in a playoff race 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yes, unfortunately the RB position has been devalued and having a good backup QB can save a coach’s job , some have even won a Super Bowl with a deep run.

I get the discussion but if you tell me we can either have Chubb healthy or Winston, I don't need time to think about how I answer.

If we win with Winston it won't be on account of Winston. Same with Huntley or DTR. We will need a good running game but we saw that when we were without Chubb we were just average. Watson/DTR/Walker/Flacco were all way below average last year. Our defense got us into the playoffs and had one of their letdown games once we got there. Virtually no backup QBs aren't winning you games in the playoffs or they would be starting somewhere. Give me a starting RB.

• Like 1