Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't either. One coach's entire resume is based on a season that might well have been a fluke. Let me know when Doug proves that 2017 wasn't the exception.

uhhh. mcvay has also only had one really good season and it didn't even end in a SB victory lol. hell, he only has one season with a playoff win whereas pederson has 2. this is a wild line of argument to take

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't either. One coach's entire resume is based on a season that might well have been a fluke. Let me know when Doug proves that 2017 wasn't the exception

And McVay's resume is...what, exactly?

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

uhhh. mcvay has also only had one really good season and it didn't even end in a SB victory lol. hell, he only has one season with a playoff win whereas pederson has 2. this is a wild line of argument to take

McVay won Coach of the Year for what he and the Rams did in 2017. If you take away 2017, Pederson is 25-23 over the other three years. If you take away 2018, McVay is 20-12. Pederson's resume outside of 2017 is not exactly stellar. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And McVay's resume is...what, exactly?

McVay turned a 4 win team into an 11 win team in 2017, winning Coach of the Year.  He then stepped it up the next year with 13 wins and a SB appearance. And if people want to talk about 2019, the Rams went 9-7 in the NFL's toughest division, which is the same record the Eagles posted in the NFL's worst division. Additionally, McVay has zero non-winning seasons.

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

In a debate against a guy like Sean McVay, that's really all the ammunition Doug needs. Both of their resumes are short, so there isn't a whole lot to judge yet. So short, that the H2H record and SB tally/performance are really the only major milestones that carry significant weight for me. Doug also has a better postseason resume: 4-2 vs 2-2. Idk how injured the Rams have been, but I do know that the Eagles have had to deal with a freakish amount of injuries over Doug's tenure. That evens out the "low competition" argument for me.

Consistent injury issues are a negative, not a positive, for a HC.

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Actually his resume is quite impressive. 4 years, 3 Playoffs appearance and a SB in his 2nd year. Curious how many can actually make that claim their first 4 seasons? I know it's not Sean.

His resume is based entirely around 2017. Without that year, he has a mediocre record. 

11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You've said this already. Now apply it to McVay and let me know when the 2018 Rams arent the Fluke. 

Already shown by 2017.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You keep spewing this as though injuries are sonehow the HC fault? Is Shannahan to blame for 2018? Anthony Lynn for the Chargers? Jay Gruden for Washington? Dan Quinn for Atlanta? Tomlin for the Steelers?

Some teams are Snake bit, some teams lucky just AF. Very little of that is due to the HC. You honestly going to sit there and blame Pederson for Brandon Brooks Achilles 2 weeks ago?

55 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

What really amuses me is that I feel the 2 sides seem to think one person is good and the other SUUUUUUUUUCKS. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, and at this point I like Goff's resume a smidge more, but I think they both are very good. 

Nah. I think Doug Pederson is a good HC. But I also think it's reasonable to point out that his resume is largely based around 2017. Is McVay definitively better? Who knows. I'd rather have McVay right now, but I'm biased. I think he's a safer choice.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

You keep spewing this as though injuries are sonehow the HC fault? Is Shannahan to blame for 2018? Anthony Lynn for the Chargers? Jay Gruden for Washington? Dan Quinn for Atlanta? Tomlin for the Steelers?

Some teams are Snake bit, some teams lucky just AF. Very little of that is due to the HC. You honestly going to sit there and blame Pederson for Brandon Brooks Achilles 2 weeks ago?

On the basis of a single year, yes, you get unlucky. When your team has injury issues year after year, it points to problems with your staff and/or player management.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay won Coach of the Year for what he and the Rams did in 2017. If you take away 2017, Pederson is 25-23 over the other three years. If you take away 2018, McVay is 20-12. Pederson's resume outside of 2017 is not exactly stellar. 

McVay turned a 4 win team into an 11 win team in 2017, winning Coach of the Year.  He then stepped it up the next year with 13 wins and a SB appearance. And if people want to talk about 2019, the Rams went 9-7 in the NFL's toughest division, which is the same record the Eagles posted in the NFL's worst division. Additionally, McVay has zero non-winning seasons.

His resume is based entirely around 2017. Without that year, he has a mediocre record. 

Already shown by 2017.

Man you cannot look me in the eyes (screen) and tell me that Sean mcvay deserved that COY award over Doug Pederson in '17. How can a HC help players stay healthy, seriously? I really do think mcvay is a good coach though. I'd take him on my team. But I just don't see how he can be placed above Doug. I do think this could be a non-winning season for Sean. He has been coaching for 1 less year than Doug, so that leaves room for more evidence, be it positive or negative. God willing we have a season.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

What really amuses me is that I feel the 2 sides seem to think one person is good and the other SUUUUUUUUUCKS. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, and at this point I like Goff's resume a smidge more, but I think they both are very good. 

I deff don't think mcvay sucks. I just think Doug has produced more positively impactful results. I like mcvay.

8 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Man you cannot look me in the eyes (screen) and tell me that Sean mcvay deserved that COY award over Doug Pederson in '17.

Before the post-season? Yes. After it? No. But that's how the cookie crumbles. 

How can a HC help players stay healthy, seriously?

That's a big part of what your S&C and training staff do. Player management is also a big part of the HC job. They do a lot of things to try and ensure players are staying healthy. You'd be shocked at how much micromanaging there is in NFL facilities. The players are treated a bit like children.

But I just don't see how he can be placed above Doug.

And that's where we disagree. I think the only case for Pederson above McVay rests on what happened in 2017. Without seeing more proof that sort of coaching is the norm, rather than the exception, I'm not inclined to consider him superior.

• Like 1

McVay is the Tony Romo of head coaches. He's good, but he just doesn't have what it takes to win a SB.

That's ok though. He has a great mind, a great personality, and gets results in the regular season. No reason to think McVay can't be a HOF color commentator one day.

I also firmly believe that if Sean McVay challenged Doug Pederson to Madden, he would finally win a head to head match-up against him.

Edited by Jeezla

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You keep spewing this as though injuries are sonehow the HC fault?

I think HCs can contribute or hurt a teams’ injury problems. I don’t follow the Eagles well enough to comment, but how a coach manages injuries can hurt or help some players.

I actually think you can point to how overworked Gurley was in 2018 to why he wasn’t a big factor later in the season/postseason. That’s largely on the player and the coach, IMO. 

Or if you want to look at RG3 vs Wilson - why did one get rocked with injuries early and one not? There’s a ton of factors in it, but along with RG3’s toughness/refusal to slide, I think you can look at how Shanahan used him. 

Something like a Brandon Brooks tearing an Achilles before camp, that’s just bad luck. No doubt. When when it comes to recovery, workload, usage type of stuff, that can certainly be on a HC. But like I said, I don’t follow the Eagles or most other teams well enough to comment on how they handle the majority of their injured players.

22 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

McVay is the Tony Romo of head coaches. He's good, but he just doesn't have what it takes to win a SB.

That's ok though. He has a great mind, a great personality, and gets results in the regular season. No reason to think McVay can't be a HOF color commentator one day.

I also firmly believe that if Sean McVay challenged Doug Pederson to Madden, he would finally win a head to head match-up against him.

So Doug is Eli Manning? Because that’s what it’s looking like more and more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Had it not been for a phantom Taunting on Trumaine Johnson we win that game 100%. That was one of the worst penalty/flags I’ve ever seen. Like that was horse booty.

*saint fans have entered the chat.