What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

3 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

How does changing the team name change that history you have with your family? I'm unable to connect those dots. 

I just feel differently about it.  He played for the Redskins, not for whatever they decide the name should be.  He was a Redskin, not a ________ (insert potential new name here.) 

ANd that's me personally.  Others will feel different about it I'm sure. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are plenty fans- myself including- who will be done with the team.  My apathy after going through the Snyder tenure just has me not caring anymore about this team.  I will still watch the NFL, and won't root for another team, but I just can't do it with this team anymore.  

The problem is that you're making this about yourself.

It's not about you.

It's about doing what's right.

2 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

It's not about you.

Right, it's my feeling on the team, who I can freely root for or not.  I'm not judging anyone who stays and who goes as far as their fandom is concerned.  

But, when you have an owner who has treated the Redskins like his own fantasy team, manipulated players, coaches and even executives and pitted all of them against each other at one time or another, eventually a breaking point is reached.  

Just under the last head coach, I've seen them trot out Chris Cooley to announce that the GM of the club who had an already documented drinking problem was drinking again, bring a guy in from the NFL office to run the business operations only to fire him nine months later because they heard he was quitting, having Bruce Allen put back in charge after both incidents, having Allen show up in a polo shirt to a press conference firing Jay Gruden and have the nerve to say the culture is damn good.  Let's also not forget how they treated Kirk Cousins on the way out, traded a player and didn't tell him (he found out on Twitter), gave almost as much money to Alex Smith as Cousins got from the Vikings, and just wasting the 2019 season because no one could agree on a direction of the team.  And there are more media leaks inside Redskins Park than the falling down office building in your neighborhood.  

We can go further back into Snyder's tenure of the team, but in the end, some fans who have given their support to the team only had the glory days of the Redskins to fall back on when George Allen and Joe Gibbs coached the team.  And now the team won't be the Redskins.  I don't disagree with changing the name at this point, but it's the "Finish Him" from Mortal Kombat after we've been beaten down for 25 years.  You seriously underestimate the power of a brand here.  

2 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

It's not about you.

He's just giving his own personal perspective as a fan of the club....kinda what the forum is about. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Right, it's my feeling on the team, who I can freely root for or not.  I'm not judging anyone who stays and who goes as far as their fandom is concerned.  

But, when you have an owner who has treated the Redskins like his own fantasy team, manipulated players, coaches and even executives and pitted all of them against each other at one time or another, eventually a breaking point is reached.  

Just under the last head coach, I've seen them trot out Chris Cooley to announce that the GM of the club who had an already documented drinking problem was drinking again, bring a guy in from the NFL office to run the business operations only to fire him nine months later because they heard he was quitting, having Bruce Allen put back in charge after both incidents, having Allen show up in a polo shirt to a press conference firing Jay Gruden and have the nerve to say the culture is damn good.  Let's also not forget how they treated Kirk Cousins on the way out, traded a player and didn't tell him (he found out on Twitter), gave almost as much money to Alex Smith as Cousins got from the Vikings, and just wasting the 2019 season because no one could agree on a direction of the team.  And there are more media leaks inside Redskins Park than the falling down office building in your neighborhood.  

We can go further back into Snyder's tenure of the team, but in the end, some fans who have given their support to the team only had the glory days of the Redskins to fall back on when George Allen and Joe Gibbs coached the team.  And now the team won't be the Redskins.  I don't disagree with changing the name at this point, but it's the "Finish Him" from Mortal Kombat after we've been beaten down for 25 years.  You seriously underestimate the power of a brand here.  

Again, you're making this about something that it's not.

Snyder being a poor owner and vile person(of which his refusal for years to even consider changing the name is a part) has nothing to do with the merits of changing or not changing the name.

If something has held that much importance in your life and given you that much joy, irrespective of the moral implications of changing the name then a name change really shouldn't cause you to just abandon it.

Edited by DigInBoys

Just want to re-iterate support for the Pigskins. Football related, still get to keep the 'Skins/Hogs nickname and it references one of their most accomplished team runs

Edited by Dodo

Red Wolves is actually getting my support now.  Close to the old name, alliterative with Washington, and wolves are a classic mascot that no other team currently has (KC's doesn't count, it's not in the name).

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Is the name of the team really that important?

It is important. Its about the Powhatan people. They are the only ones that should be associated with the name. The logo is of a Powhatan tribesman and the name refers to how the Jamestown settlers referred to them when talking of their discoveries back home. They want the name as recognition of when the 2 nations came together.

Thats why I say. I want the name changed to Powhatan or a tribe under the Powhatan so everyone can understand who is being represented and tribute to.

All these stupid names tossed around. Red this and that. Nobody should want the Powhatan people to lose this. Everyone should want them honored properly. Thats why this is important to me anyway. I live here, near every place around me has a Potomac/Powhatan name to it. Theyre not forgotten to us much like the Navajo in the southwest or Utes in Utah.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Red Wolves is actually getting my support now.  Close to the old name, alliterative with Washington, and wolves are a classic mascot that no other team currently has (KC's doesn't count, it's not in the name).

Washington Wolfpack sounds cooler to me. Wolves are native to the Americas too and do have history to Native Americans as a nice callback. Hmm ....

9 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Washington Wolfpack sounds cooler to me. Wolves are native to the Americas too and do have history to Native Americans as a nice callback. Hmm ....

Any variant of wolves has a lot of upside, IMO.  I just like Red Wolves because of how close it is to the original name.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Any variant of wolves has a lot of upside, IMO.  I just like Red Wolves because of how close it is to the original name.

They even have trouble with cowboys and eagles. And would with Giants too if they were around 

28 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

This forum is about discourse, and that's what we're doing.

Seems like you're trying to hero post and virtue signal to a guy that doesn't actually care about the name issue in the way you want. And now you're trying to explain to him how he should feel about a team he's followed for years.

He's saying the era has sucked and the coming name change is a pretty glaring sign that his connection to the team won't be what it once was. Sounds reasonable enough. I'm sure other fans of the team are in the same boat. It's not about the actual "Redskin" name (wrong or not wrong) debate. It's about a general lack of interest, trust, and now connection to the team. I mean there isn't a fan alive that currently has merchandise, collectibles, or memorabilia of the coming iteration of the club. They're looking at (likely), not being able to wear old stuff with the Native American logo into the park. It's a total reckoning. And while I agree that it's absolutely necessary, you can't be surprised that fans are questioning their level of commitment and or interest in carrying over with a club that's given them such a rough stretch and will continue to be led by maybe the dumbest owner in sports. 

If you're looking to crusade post on behalf of the name change I recommend twitter. I'm sure there are endless entrenched enemies over there for you. I'm not attacking you either. I understand some people have crazy frustration over the issue and want to work it out. This isn't the best place though. It's a name suggestion thread.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

IDK, at this point I think people will complain about anything that isn't a clean break. Any different names that still use "Red" or "Skin" will probably be shouted down as Dan Snyder trying to cling to the offensive past brand.

• Like 4