Best Way to Move on from Dak Prescott

TheGame316

Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?

• Trade him now, For what compensation and to what team?
    • Play out this year and let him walk for 3rd round compensatory
    • Play out this year and Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag (2 1st round picks if he signs elsewhere) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays
    • Play out this year and Transition Tag (Right to match but if we don't match he walks for nothing) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays

There is no trade value for him this year. He gets to an NFC Championship game, I think you sign him, because the draft pick will be bad. Otherwise, Cousins him and let him walk. We are not going to get high value in a trade knowing that the team he signs with has to shell out major doe, assuming he has a productive year but again comes short of the goal. In a normal year, you would trade him now and go with Dalton in all seriousness, and make a play for a QB next year. But nobody is going to trade for him in a year like this.

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

He gets to an NFC Championship game, I think you sign him

I dont understand this. So lets say he wins league MVP. Makes it to the divisional round. Has a perfect QB Rating, throws for 400 yards and 5 TDS. Our Defense and ST give up 7 TDS. We lose. 

In that scenario - - effe Dak? Cut him. He must suck for not being able to carry the other 53. 

• Like 1

There was a report from some one can’t remember who that sense we didn’t resign Dak to a long term deal that we won’t be able to afford doing a second tag.   

personally I also don’t understand this whole super bowl or bust attitude. Sure the concept/idea that well get a rook spend the money to surround him with top people makes sense too bad it’s only worked I would say twice in history of the league. And yeah that 50/50 or worse of flops is not a good thing and no expecting us to win with cast off QB who never won in their prime is not a good idea either.  

frankly in my mind just roll the dice with Dak ...  but we’ve reached the point where I don’t know how we can resign him as he will want a three year deal and we really Cant afford that in terms of salary cap

Edited by quiller

On 7/20/2020 at 12:11 AM, Matts4313 said:

I dont understand this. So lets say he wins league MVP. Makes it to the divisional round. Has a perfect QB Rating, throws for 400 yards and 5 TDS. Our Defense and ST give up 7 TDS. We lose. 

In that scenario - - effe Dak? Cut him. He must suck for not being able to carry the other 53. 

Obviously context counts... but if inventing what if scenarios is always fun. Winning MVP would obviously warrant the extension but that’s not realistic. Top 5 perhaps and then we can look at the wins.

Here is the diciest scenario. He improves upon the 2016 rookie year as more of a pocket passer and outside the pocket passer as opposed to the read options. Puts up a 4000 yard 35 TD <10 Intcpts. Wins the division and a playoff game. We get throttled again in the divisional round to Seattle, SF, or LA? That’s a nightmare scenario for this front office.

Edited by WheatieMan

Tough spot to be in when you have a guy like Dak, who is very good, but possibly not good enough to lead you to the promised land.  There probably isn't a wrong answer on what to do, but if I were the Cowboys, I'd give Dak some time working with Mike McCarthy.  He is a great QB coach, and he might be able to add to what Dak has already learned and help him get up into the elite level.  You have the coach now, and Dak is already on the team.  It won't hurt to give it a try with those two.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, quiller said:

There was a report from some one can’t remember who that sense we didn’t resign Dak to a long term deal that we won’t be able to afford doing a second tag.   

Depends on where the cap settles. If the cap decreases, particularly down to the 175M mark that was bandied about, yeah, you guys are probably screwed. You can't tag him at that price (I think it's like 38M) at that cap limit. If you do, you're basically shredding the rest of the team. The cowboys are at 175M in active cap spending for 2021 already. 

That being said, I think it's highly unlikely that the cap ends up as low as 175m, but the possibility of its existence does have to be admitted. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Depends on where the cap settles. If the cap decreases, particularly down to the 175M mark that was bandied about, yeah, you guys are probably screwed. You can't tag him at that price (I think it's like 38M) at that cap limit. If you do, you're basically shredding the rest of the team. The cowboys are at 175M in active cap spending for 2021 already. 

That being said, I think it's highly unlikely that the cap ends up as low as 175m, but the possibility of its existence does have to be admitted. 

In my dream scenario, COVID delays the season and limits it to 4 games or something stupid and then the playoffs happen

Cowboys go 0-4 and Dak plays like absolute crap. Massive drop in Cap, all the way down to 175. Some kind of draft lottery amongst the Zero win teams and Dallas get the #1 overall pick and takes Trevor Lawerence. Dak signs a 1 year deal in Jacksonville (who goes 1-3 and doesn't draft a top QB). Dak plays like crap in Jacksonville and the book is out on him and he never sniffs close to the 175 Million dollar deal that he just turned down, never has anything like the offensive players that he has here. Finishes his career as a mid tier backup until he busts out of the league. He becomes a cautionary tale to all future players overestimating their value 

What say you @plan9misfit? You in?

6 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

In my dream scenario, COVID delays the season and limits it to 4 games or something stupid and then the playoffs happen

Cowboys go 0-4 and Dak plays like absolute crap. Massive drop in Cap, all the way down to 175. Some kind of draft lottery amongst the Zero win teams and Dallas get the #1 overall pick and takes Trevor Lawerence. Dak signs a 1 year deal in Jacksonville (who goes 1-3 and doesn't draft a top QB). Dak plays like crap in Jacksonville and the book is out on him and he never sniffs close to the 175 Million dollar deal that he just turned down, never has anything like the offensive players that he has here. Finishes his career as a mid tier backup until he busts out of the league. He becomes a cautionary tale to all future players overestimating their value 

I ....    I really don’t understand this hate if a player so much you want Dallas to loose games.

So...   moving on from Dak.  First in my mind doesn’t matter how he plays as I am one who feels it’s more the team then one player.  No Super Bowl win ...

So 2021 we can’t afford a tag and Dak  signs elsewhere.  We use a Dalton type and go 7-9 6-10..   

2022. We trade up to take a rookie QB...

and half the board hates him wash repeat

Edited by quiller

6 hours ago, quiller said:

I ....    I really don’t understand this hate if a player so much you want Dallas to loose games.

So...   moving on from Dak.  First in my mind doesn’t matter how he plays as I am one who feels it’s more the team then one player.  No Super Bowl win ...

So 2021 we can’t afford a tag and Dak  signs elsewhere.  We use a Dalton type and go 7-9 6-10..   

2022. We trade up to take a rookie QB...

and half the board hates him wash repeat

I don't want Dallas to go 2-14, But I could handle 0-4 in a BS shortened COVID season if it landed us Trevor Lawrence

Bonus being Dak is paid by the week, so if there are only 4 games he only gets 8 million of Jerry's money then he's begging for a job in Jacksonville in a year with a cratered cap

14 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

I’ll never root for us to lose games, but we definitely need an exit strategy and an outlook toward the future at QB. Believe it or not, the ideal scenario would be no season at all and us trading him to a QB needy team as part of a package to move up for a guy like Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 3:02 AM, plan9misfit said:

I’ll never root for us to lose games, but we definitely need an exit strategy and an outlook toward the future at QB. Believe it or not, the ideal scenario would be no season at all and us trading him to a QB needy team as part of a package to move up for a guy like Trevor Lawrence.

Why would a rebuilding team at the top of the draft trade for Dak instead of taking younger QB with the high pick? And is there a veteran team a Prescott away from contending more so than Dallas? Dak gives Dallas the best chance to win right now given the available QBs. Unfortunately, the only solution is to let him walk if he posts another mediocre season. Or maybe he gets injured and we tank, but it is not ideal wasting the defensive and offensive talent we have right now. You finish 9-7 or 10-6, end up drafting 22-26, then go with Dalton in 2021. You open up some cap space by letting Dak walk. Trade Cooper/Zeke for a 2nd. Then you give up 21' and 22' 1sts and 2nds and Martin to get to the top of the draft. You still have a 2nd rounder to get some O-line depth... hopefully. You have to be realistic about the fire power needed to get to the top of the draft.  

Edited by WheatieMan

• 3 weeks later...