ESPN Top 10 Positional Rankings

RandyMossIsBoss

On 7/18/2020 at 4:09 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Not really a fan of the list. Tyron Smith #1 OT in the league, even though he's battled injuries and isn't what he once was. Trent Williams hasn't played in over a year, but he's #3. Mitchell Schwartz isn't even in the top 10? Richard Sherman played like a top 3 corner last year, but can't crack ESPN's top 10 either. Okay. 

Schwartz being out of the top 10 is an absolute joke. He was the highest graded player of the entire playoffs. Dude is probably the best tackle in the league tbh

On 7/17/2020 at 12:09 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Quarterbacks

#5, Drew Brees

Ehhhh. I don't see it. I'd take Brady or Jackson over Brees rn. 

Running Backs 

#4, Alvin Kamara

Maybe this is a projection, but he needs to prove his ankle/knee injury isn't gonna be in the back of his head. He didn't even look like he wanted to play last year after he first tweaked his ankle. I wouldn't put him this high.

Wide Receivers

#2, Michael Thomas

I personally would have him at #1 over Julio. But between Julio/Nuk/Thomas, I think you can make any argument for any of them.

Tight Ends

#10, Jared Cook

He honestly doesn't impress me all that much, numbers be damned. Not sure why, I just always thought he could be doing more. 

Offensive Tackles

#5, Terron Armstead

#8, Ryan Ramczyk

I would flip these two. Or at least put Ramy over Armstead, because I think he's the better tackle.

Interior Offensive Linemen

Honorable Mention #5 Erik McCoy

Adequately replaced Max Unger from the first snap he played with the Saints. He's projected to play LG next season, his biggest (and some will argue only) major struggle at C was making adjustments as the defense showed more of their hand, so a move to LG should help him a lot there.

Edge Rushers

#9, Cam Jordan

He's one of the best defensive linemen in the league and has been for quite some time. He's the epitome of consistency and is just as good against the run as he is rushing the passer. Gonna miss this guy. 

Interior Defensive Linemen

Honorable Mention #3, David Onyemata 

Surprised to see him on the list at all to be honest. Glad we locked him up before COVID really took off. 

Off-Ball Linebackers

#5 Demario Davis

Best Saints FA signing since Brees. He does it all. 

Cornerbacks

#5, Marshon Lattimore

Consistency is his only issue. He has the ability to cover anyone in the league but will randomly go into a slump for half, or maybe entire game. He can push for the #1 spot but he's gotta lock that issue down.

Safeties

The only spot the Saints didn't have any players.

Little surprised Marcus Williams isn't getting any love, but I don't think his exclusion is egregious by any means.

Edited by Dome

On 17/07/2020 at 8:09 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Quarterbacks

7. Tom Brady

I think this is fair when you consider what he had to work with the past season. A lot of people box score his stats and think he's regressed, but if you actually watch; his arm strength is still right there (there is plenty of proof of bullets thrown last season), his mobility hasn't changed, he carried whatever offense we had. If he doesn't look like 2016 TB on the TB team then I'd admit a regression has happened

Tight Ends

4. Rob Gronkowski

Already mentioned this. What are they basing this off? It can't be his last season played, because he wasn't the 4th best TE that season - we had to can his receiving production by about half. Still an awesome blocker, but the point is - this is a total guess and it's an optimistic one at that

Interior Offensive Linemen

5. Joe Thuney

Fair

Off-Ball Linebackers

8. Jamie Collins

So our actual best off-ball linebacker (Hightower) is not even an honorable mention. You may argue that he's also on the ball, but he roughly splits snaps pass-rushing and off-ball-linebacking, so he should be included. He's not the athlete that Collins is but he's far more intelligent and versatile - not many players bait Mahomes into a bad pick. Also green dot.

Cornerbacks

1. Stephon Gilmore

hon

• J.C. Jackson

Easy for Gilmor. But actually if they've got Jackson as an Hon, maybe include J McCourty - As the starting corner opposite Stephon Gilmore, McCourty is often left on an island where he is asked to play press man-to-man coverage with very little help. He is also asked to occasionally kick inside as a dime/slot defender, and he still remains as one of only four cornerbacks who did not allowed a touchdown pass the previous season

Safeties

Honorable Mention:

• Devin McCourty

Has to be one of the most underrated players. If you think NE wasn't the best D, you probably DO admit the secondary is one of the best in the league, if not THE best last season. McCourty is the organizer, the communicator, tied 2nd for interceptions. No team called a higher percentage of Cover 0 and Cover 1 (51.8%) and It's a coverage scheme that places a tremendous burden on the safeties to communicate and eliminate their opponent's biggest threat. 

Such an untalented team. That's only 2 players in top 10 for respective positions :D 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Gronkowski #4!?!? Whole thing is trash but this really stands out. He missed a year and was a shell of himself his final season.

Cant disagree with experts though

JJ Watt has had a total of 21 sacks in the past 4 years combined and has missed 32 games in that stretch. Yet on every Madden ranking or PFF list you see he will forever and always be in the top 3 at his position. The media just loves themselves some JJ Watt.

49ers:

Quarterbacks

Honorable Mentions:

• Jimmy G - Fair, he's in that range. Has some things he can work on but had a nice second half season once Sanders arrived.

Tight Ends

1. George Kittle - Forget just TE, one of the best players in the league. Not much more needs to be said here aside from hoping he can become a RZ target next season.

Offensive Tackles

3. Trent Williams - I'm not sure Williams deserves this high of a ranking after missing last season. Some really talented tackles out there. But when healthy, he's obviously really good and will need to be as the guy he is replacing was pretty damn good in his own right.

Edge Rushers

3. Nick Bosa - Is this list projecting for the future or something? As good as Bosa was last season, he should not be this high after one season. Heck, he shouldn't even be the highest Bosa on the list. Saying all that, dude is a stud and complete game wrecker. Has DPOY potential.

Interior Defensive Linemen

7. Arik Armstead - Actually very surprised Armstead made the list. He was always a good player but took his game to another level last season. Was to me the best defensive player on the team but didn't expect him to make the list after one top level season. Let's see how he does without his partner in crime next year.

Off-Ball Linebackers

10. Fred Warner- Absolute stud in coverage but needs to clean up some of the missed tackles. If he does, he will be in contention with the best in the league.

Cornerbacks

Honorable Mention:

• Richard Sherman - After the season he just had, it seems disrespectful to have him outside of the top 10. Was legitimately an all pro caliber player. Not sure what's going on here.

Safeties

Honorable Mention:

• Jimmie Ward - Finally stayed healthy and played his natural position and far exceeded everyone's expectations. Ward didn't create many turnovers, but he showed great range all season and prevented a lot of big plays. Damn near every Niner fan wanted to sign Thomas in the offseason, but Ward more than held his own. If he wants to get on the top 10 he needs to continue staying healthy and start creating some turnovers.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

On 7/20/2020 at 9:27 PM, Dome said:

I believe Marcus Williams is one of the best safeties in the league, especially in high coverage. If you look at his play overall, he's quietly become the new gold standard for the Earl Thomas prototype. Is he as good as prime ET? Not at all. However, his combination of range and coverage ability is rare and I can't name another player I'd rather have as a high free safety off the top of my head, regardless of the Minneapolis Miracle.

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Byard? Jackson? Added playmaking ability.

Yep, those two definitely fit that mold, as well. Better ball skills. I like Williams's versatility bit more, but the argument could definitely be made that they're just as good if not better in that same role. For some reason, I keep forgetting that Eddie Jackson exists. The unintentional disrespect is real.

• Like 1