Official Training Camp Thread

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, but Jones is hurt and Taylor won't be ready until the season's half over. If the plan is to play Thomas in the middle as an NT in the event that Jones is hurt, that's going to be a problem imo. 

If he wants smaller, quicker NTs, I think this team made a weird choice in Kinlaw lol. 

Jones isn't really hurt, he's in the concussion protocol. I mean Kinlaw doesn't need to play NT but if they want someone bigger, then he can. I'm not too worried about this, more glad to hear Thomas flashing every practice and making plays behind the LOS. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jones isn't really hurt, he's in the concussion protocol. I mean Kinlaw doesn't need to play NT but if they want someone bigger, then he can. I'm not too worried about this, more glad to hear Thomas flashing every practice and making plays behind the LOS. 

I'm assuming that he most certainly will at some point. We tend to rotate guys. Even Armstead has some history of playing the 1-tech role for us. 

Personally, I'd still trade Thomas. At this point, given the likely decreasing cap next season, I value the 4.4 million he'd bring us in cap room next year from roll over more than I do him, but I know that's unlikely to happen given some of the depth concerns. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, but Jones is hurt and Taylor won't be ready until the season's half over. If the plan is to play Thomas in the middle as an NT in the event that Jones is hurt, that's going to be a problem imo. 

If he wants smaller, quicker NTs, I think this team made a weird choice in Kinlaw lol. 

Still not a big fan of Kinlaw. Lamb was right there

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

While I agree about wanting to get Lamb during the draft, apparently Aiyuk is killing it during training camp. Time will tell, but we still addressed receiver and from the sound of it, we picked a good one. I hope Kinlaw picks it up, but I’ll wait for the season to start before I get nervous. 

21 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

I wasn't a fan of him predraft the way some were. Before the draft, in the other forum, he was my pick as top 15 selection who was most likely to be a bust.  I had him in this tier of players that we should select, but he was the very last person in that tier lol. At the time we were on the clock, he was my 4th highest rated player, but I won't crucify the team for taking him or anything because he was in that tier. I just would have went a different way, and I had guys on the interior that I really liked in the back half of day 2 if we had traded down like I expected us to do (you know, past 1 spot lol). I didn't hate either player's selection, though Kinlaw worried me obviously and I didn't like the trade up for Aiyuk (I liked the player just fine and he was my top wr at the time and graded out as a first round prospect for me, but he wasn't in a separate tier from others)

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wasn't a fan of him predraft the way some were. Before the draft, in the other forum, he was my pick as top 15 selection who was most likely to be a bust.  I had him in this tier of players that we should select, but he was the very last person in that tier lol. At the time we were on the clock, he was my 4th highest rated player, but I won't crucify the team for taking him or anything because he was in that tier. I just would have went a different way, and I had guys on the interior that I really liked in the back half of day 2 if we had traded down like I expected us to do (you know, past 1 spot lol). I didn't hate either player's selection, though Kinlaw worried me obviously and I didn't like the trade up for Aiyuk (I liked the player just fine and he was my top wr at the time and graded out as a first round prospect for me, but he wasn't in a separate tier from others)

The problem is/will be realistic expectations about his play. He's not going to be as dominant as DeFo off the bat and most of the fanbase is going to crucify him for it. I'm already expecting it.

He's more Armstead than DeFo in that he'll flash some but he needs to develop. But his physical traits will allow him to make some plays and be effective in a niche role early. But once his technique gets where it needs to be, coupled with his insane power and athletic ability...God help any O-lineman in front of him. He'll be almost unblockable when that 'light' comes on for him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The problem is/will be realistic expectations about his play. He's not going to be as dominant as DeFo off the bat and most of the fanbase is going to crucify him for it. I'm already expecting it.

He's more Armstead than DeFo in that he'll flash some but he needs to develop. But his physical traits will allow him to make some plays and be effective in a niche role early. But once his technique gets where it needs to be, coupled with his insane power and athletic ability...God help any O-lineman in front of him. He'll be almost unblockable when that 'light' comes on for him.

I hope so because Ceedee Is going to be amazing. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm assuming that he most certainly will at some point. We tend to rotate guys. Even Armstead has some history of playing the 1-tech role for us. 

Personally, I'd still trade Thomas. At this point, given the likely decreasing cap next season, I value the 4.4 million he'd bring us in cap room next year from roll over more than I do him, but I know that's unlikely to happen given some of the depth concerns. 

I've heard Street has looked really good also. Saleh said he's bulked up and it shows. He was standing next Kinlaw on one of the live look-ins and they looked identical, just that Kinlaw is taller. So I would say he's at or little over 300 lbs. They said his knee finally looks healthy and that he's been disruptive since the pads went on. So you can throw his name into the hat@NT as well.

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I've heard Street has looked really good also. Saleh said he's bulked up and it shows. He was standing next Kinlaw on one of the live look-ins and they looked identical, just that Kinlaw is taller. So I would say he's at or little over 300 lbs. They said his knee finally looks healthy and that he's been disruptive since the pads went on. So you can throw his name into the hat@NT as well.

I think you and I are in the same boat there in that we have never been fans of his or his selection (I think it was you), but Barrows has said that he has looked much better this camp than in the past and flashed some. He'd be a much better fit at a 1 tech spot if only because of how freakishly strong he is. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think you and I are in the same boat there in that we have never been fans of his or his selection (I think it was you), but Barrows has said that he has looked much better this camp than in the past and flashed some. He'd be a much better fit at a 1 tech spot if only because of how freakishly strong he is. 

Yup, never liked him. So if he can provide any kind of depth, that would be a big surprise for me. 

And word out of camp is the UDFA Darrion Daniels has been turning heads as well as Givens. I really liked Givens last TC and they're saying that Daniels has looked good enough where they would be wise not to risk exposing him to the waiver wire. So that's Solly, Street, Givens & Daniels who have all looked good and have flashed multiple days according to the various media covering the team. So the question might not be who do we have behind Jones, but which guy is the odd man out and gets picked up by Seattle after we cut him? Sounds like a good problem to have...

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmie Ward may be one of the most underrated players in the league. Smh, no respect! And playing behind him is a potential stud in Moore. If we can afford Thomas, then we can afford Clowney. This makes no sense at all. 

I don't buy it for a second; I quoted NCFinest in the other thread about. I think it's just a requirement that we be mentioned as a possible suitor for every big name that comes available lol

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yup, never liked him. So if he can provide any kind of depth, that would be a big surprise for me. 

And word out of camp is the UDFA Darrion Daniels has been turning heads as well as Givens. I really liked Givens last TC and they're saying that Daniels has looked good enough where they would be wise not to risk exposing him to the waiver wire. So that's Solly, Street, Givens & Daniels who have all looked good and have flashed multiple days according to the various media covering the team. So the question might not be who do we have behind Jones, but which guy is the odd man out and gets picked up by Seattle after we cut him? Sounds like a good problem to have...

Daniels was the one I was banking on, and I too really, really like Givens (though I always envisioned more of a UT role there). Givens is one of the reasons I'd rather just trade Thomas to keep the 4 million, which I highly value for next year on a shrinking cap. 

So who makes the DL this year? 

DE- Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Blair, Hyder

DT- Kinlaw, Jones, Street, Givens, Daniels

PUP - Jullian Taylor 

In a way, it might be a good thing to have some players start the year on PUP/NFI....it will allow us to keep more players without risk of exposure to the waiver wire. And after 6 weeks when there's inevitably injuries, the replacements can be plugged right in 

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So who makes the DL this year? 

DE- Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Blair, Hyder

DT- Kinlaw, Jones, Street, Givens, Daniels

PUP - Jullian Taylor 

In a way, it might be a good thing to have some players start the year on PUP/NFI....it will allow us to keep more players without risk of exposure to the waiver wire. And after 6 weeks when there's inevitably injuries, the replacements can be plugged right in 

Solly is definitely making the team. Only one of Givens/Daniels.