Ravens Training Camp 2020

drd23

11 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Boykin in his rookie year (on a team that threw 440 times) ~doubled the number of catches and ~quadrupled the number of yards vs. Moore in his rookie year (on a team that threw 679 times). Boykin's yardage total in 2019 would be the second highest of Moore's career and his TDs would tie Moore's career high. Additionally, Boykin's Yds/Rec (15.2) and Yds/Target (9.0) significantly exceeds Moore's career highs (13.8 Y/R in 2017 and 7.8 Y/Tgt in 2018)

Boykin is a very strong blocker whereas Moore has been more of a ST contributor.

It's really not a great comparison TBH. 

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The argument for Chris Moore was always that he excelled in TC/practice and made the most of opportunities given to him throughout the season. Was super efficient, especially in 2018(over 90% true catch rate and 111.4 QBR when targeted). Was a 4th Round Investment, and had good tape against college CBs who went on to find success in pros(WJIII,Apple). Thus he should've been rewarded with playing time over the older castaways we kept bringing in, or at least given more in game reps to continue his development and truly see what he's capable of. 

That never happened though. Early on he was buried behind Vets, then in 2019 and forward he's been paced by younger players as well. For whatever reason the Coaches have just never seen fit to expand his role. He's talented on STs, has a great nose for the ball, and has enough ability and chemistry with our QB room to be a deeper option we can lean on should injuries really hit the position. That seems to be his fit. With more talented and youthful options on the roster, no one is complaining either.

Boykin on the other hand just had a meteoric rise. He went straight from flashing in Camp to flashing in Practice to Presumed Upside Starter. Then he would go on to have a 40.8% Snap Share during the 2019 season. I'm not really seeing the Chris Moore comparison either. 

It's only a comparison in the sense that everyone is hyping up a WR who is showing out in camp, but hasn't shown anything in games that matter. We did it every year with Chris Moore, and until Miles Boykin actually shows that he can be reliable in real games, I'm not buying it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's only a comparison in the sense that everyone is hyping up a WR who is showing out in camp, but hasn't shown anything in games that matter. We did it every year with Chris Moore, and until Miles Boykin actually shows that he can be reliable in real games, I'm not buying it.

Agreed. I feel like Perriman is also a quality candidate of comparison... only difference is Boykin is more healthy. People would always talk about how Perriman was abusing our DBs in camp... and when healthy he actually buzzed some, but his inopportune hands and his seeming lack of either mentality or the mental side of the game... did him in. Both Boykin and Perriman appear to be hard workers, but Flacco was also a hard worker. Some guys just seem to have a different mentality/gear.

All I know is that Boykin has the athleticism and physical traits to be the next Andre Johnson... or more realistically Javon Walker before his ACL injury. We’ll just see if he has the mentality to get there... I’m not worried about him going for 1000 receiving yards or anything in this offense, but a guy with his tools should certainly put up at least 700 receiving yards, otherwise I’ll mostly find it to be a disappointment.

I remember somebody posted a video a while back of some guy breaking down about 10 times Lamar missed some wide open deep touchdowns to Boykin. He wasn’t sure if it was just a scheme thing where he was the last read, or Lamar zeroing in on tight ends/ not trusting Boykin enough to get to him

found it... really nice breakdown of some missed opportunities.

https://youtu.be/0-AOoiaOPgE

Edited by Boodgyman5220
Found video

48 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I remember somebody posted a video a while back of some guy breaking down about 10 times Lamar missed some wide open deep touchdowns to Boykin. He wasn’t sure if it was just a scheme thing where he was the last read, or Lamar zeroing in on tight ends/ not trusting Boykin enough to get to him

found it... really nice breakdown of some missed opportunities.

https://youtu.be/0-AOoiaOPgE

Yeah I think this is what @Danand was referring to a couple days ago or so.

I think the fact that Lamar did seemingly target/trust Seth Roberts on similar receptions when he overtook Boykin in games speaks to the fact that Lamar just didn’t trust Boykin.

Could it be rookie type things like sometimes running the wrong route and Lamar not wanting to wait and be patient only to be burned. Could it be that Lamar has targeted him on such plays in weekly practices and Boykin had a case of the dropsies? Who knows?

My working theory however is that Boykin wasn’t physical at the catch point. We know that’s the one thing that Boykin wanted to work on over the offseason... according to training camp reports.

We also know that Lamar struggled to target Hurst who had magnificent hands, but he was all in on Andrews and even more comfortable with Boyle. Those guys were all physical at the catch point. Going back to Lamar’s rookie season he seemed to trust Snead and Crabtree far more than John Brown. Both of the former would attack the ball at its highest point (even though Crabtree had below average hands). Then analyzing the difference between rookie Hollywood Brown and John Brown... Hollywood might not be big, but he’s a dog, he’s going to push off at the top of the route to move the defender away and make sure he’s the only player with an opportunity to make a play on the ball.

In every situation it seems Lamar trusts guys that are, FTMP, protecting his throws... even in situations where other WRs are superior to what he’s targeting (John was the best receiver we had in 2018).

Anyways all of this is just a guess and an attempt to put X+Y together and call it 4, but if Boykin can prove himself at the catch point... perhaps this could be a breakout season... which in our offense is probably like 850 receiving yards and 7 TDs.

Edited by diamondbull424

What's up with the Offense bias? 

I wanted to see Jimmy's goal line(TD saving) hit on Boyle that made the players go crazy. Or at least Bowser's big bull rush sack...

Calais had some Sacks too. Malik Harrison batted a few balls.

Where's the defensive love.....?

Seems like the production team might be forgetting this franchise's roots, just because our offense is flashy for the first time..like ever. 😑

I remember watching that whole video earlier in the offseason and thinking it gave Boykin way too much credit for being open on plays that weren't going to him. You could make the same video with a handful of seemingly missed opportunities for literally any WR on any team that ran as many routes as he did.

He's got earn Lamar's trust and that comes from consistently (not single digit times) getting open on his routes and capitalizing on targets.

And I like Boykin. I was hyped on him going into last season and I'm hopeful he breaks out. But, if you watch entire games from last year, he was no secret superstar. Too many plays he was just a guy running a route and taking 1 DB out of a play.

Edited by wackywabbit

Just now, wackywabbit said:

I remember watching that whole video earlier in the offseason and thinking it gave Boykin way too much credit for being open on plays that weren't going to him. You could make the same video with a handful of seemingly missed opportunities for literally any WR on any team that ran as many routes as he did.

Yea it didn't make me more sympathetic to his cause either. In truth, I'm less optimistic about Boykin going forward now than I was before his Rookie season. Which is why I was fine with us possibly pursuing a big name WR in the draft.

Unless things turn around quickly, I think Miles caps out as a passable WR#3 and/or supremely underwhelming WR#2. 

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What's up with the Offense bias? 

I wanted to see Jimmy's goal line(TD saving) hit on Boyle that made the players go crazy. Or at least Bowser's big bull rush sack...

Calais had some Sacks too. Malik Harrison batted a few balls.

Where's the defensive love.....?

Seems like the production team might be forgetting this franchise's roots, just because our offense is flashy for the first time..like ever. 😑

I think it’s exactly that! How long have we waited to be excited about offense around here!

I am so over Earl Thomas.

Also just said on 105.7 that some people in the building said they aren’t surprised chuck + earl got into today because they said a lot of players/coaches have been seeing how earl has been handling himself in meetings and practices & throughout the building and they haven’t been impressed/haven’t liked what they’ve seen