Report: Minority owners pressuring Dan Snyder to sell Washington Football Team

Woz

On 2/24/2021 at 12:14 PM, offbyone said:

I know we all prefer that Snyder doesn't own the team, but do we really want Bezos to own the team?  

I would be happy taking a spin with the devil we don't know at this point.

So show me what's behind door #2

oskar-the-blind-cat-opens-a-door

On 2/24/2021 at 12:25 PM, offbyone said:

He could decide he prefers to live somewhere else and since he has endless money, just move the team.

Possible, but he bought a big house here, the Washington Post and has set Amazon HQ2 in Arlington. Kind of feels like he's invested in the area.

He could take the amazon route and take 15 years before showing us a winning season.  By which time many of us will be old and gray or gone.

And this is different from the 20+ years under Snyder ... how, exactly? Do we really expect to become Washington of the 80's under Danny Boy?

He could decide to run it like a corporate business and cut corners everywhere to save money and maximize profits.

Again, different from Snyder how exactly?

At least maybe we don't have the multiple sexual harrassment allegations against the team?

Snyder is a pile of suck, but if you look around the league don't tell me all the other billionaire owners are all running their teams perfectly.  Just saying just because Bezos wipes his butt with gold bars doesn't mean the outcome will be good.

True, but not many other owners have taken what used to be one of the top respected franchises and turned it into a league wide laughingstock.

• Like 1

I think that if Snyder is forced to sell, the new owners would dispense of the burgundy and gold colors as a way of further cutting ties with the past and the Redskins name, and adopt red, navy blue, and white as the team colors similar to DC's other big 4 teams and the American flag. This would definitely happen if the new owners turn out to be Monumental.

And remember, burgundy and gold were adopted while the team was based in Boston during the 1930s. So if anything that color scheme belongs to the city of Boston.

Edited by pf9

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

I think that if Snyder is forced to sell, the new owners would dispense of the burgundy and gold colors as a way of further cutting ties with the past and the Redskins name, and adopt red, navy blue, and white as the team colors similar to DC's other big 4 teams and the American flag. This would definitely happen if the new owners turn out to be Monumental.

And remember, burgundy and gold were adopted while the team was based in Boston during the 1930s. So if anything that color scheme belongs to the city of Boston.

I think the league might step in and suggest the colors stay the same. Might seem silly to suggest it but I do think that’s the case. Also, there is no way Ted Leonsis has the money to buy this team. Daniel Snyder could probably get between $5-7B. It would have to be someone like Bezos. I don’t care what their estimated value is either because it’s going to sell for much, much more. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think the league might step in and suggest the colors stay the same. Might seem silly to suggest it but I do think that’s the case. Also, there is no way Ted Leonsis has the money to buy this team. Daniel Snyder could probably get between $5-7B. It would have to be someone like Bezos. I don’t care what their estimated value is either because it’s going to sell for much, much more. 

Leonsis doesnt need the money. If hes the guy they want in their boys club. Theyd vote to allow him. And the team would pay for itself. Glazers did that very thing with Man United. Make a down payment, then use the teams money. And because of the Glazer mold. Where theyve paid off little of the actual debt, getting extensions, making huge interest payments. Banks or some league sponsoring banks might encourage such a move from the other owners.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Leonsis doesnt need the money. If hes the guy they want in their boys club. Theyd vote to allow him. And the team would pay for itself. Glazers did that very thing with Man United. Make a down payment, then use the teams money. And because of the Glazer mold. Where theyve paid off little of the actual debt, getting extensions, making huge interest payments. Banks or some league sponsoring banks might encourage such a move from the other owners.

I’m pretty sure you’re only allowed to borrow a limited amount of the sale value in the NFL. 

15 hours ago, pf9 said:

That’s certainly a conspiracy theory 

Whoa, that’s a pretty big deal. Absolutely gives the league license to get away from him if they want to. And it’s hard to imagine how they wouldn’t kinda want to.

As always, when it comes to deposing the little emperor, I’ll believe it when I see it. But this is...big time stuff, as JP said. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1