Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

eh, the "100+" passer rating is kind of disingenuous (buoyed by the short completions). They averaged 4.8 yards per pass play and scored 1 TD through the air. That's a really good defensive performance.

Before the Rams final two drives, Goff was 15-17 for 142 yards and a TD, good for 8.35 YPA.  The Packers sacked Goff 4 times, the most he was sacked in a game this season, but when they didn't get home they almost always gave up the completion.  I don't hate Pettine by any stretch but I don't see much evidence that this isn't just talent showing through a scheme that doesn't add much.  This secondary and this pass rush together should not be a pretty solid pass defense.  You're not going to get a rush group as good as Clark/Gary/Smith/Smith often, and almost never at the same time as you've got a King/Alexander/Amos/Savage secondary, and if you have both it damn sure should result in an elite ranking somewhere

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Before the Rams final two drives, Goff was 15-17 for 142 yards and a TD, good for 8.35 YPA.  The Packers sacked Goff 4 times, the most he was sacked in a game this season, but when they didn't get home they almost always gave up the completion.  I don't hate Pettine by any stretch but I don't see much evidence that this isn't just talent showing through a scheme that doesn't add much.  This secondary and this pass rush together should not be a pretty solid pass defense.  You're not going to get a rush group as good as Clark/Gary/Smith/Smith often, and almost never at the same time as you've got a King/Alexander/Amos/Savage secondary, and if you have both it damn sure should result in an elite ranking somewhere

That's why Pettine needs to go. The scheme is the issue as well as the lack of talent outside of Clark along the IDL though I will say that Lowry's had a decent second half of the season and KeKe's played well. Snacks will need to show up this week...

31 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Definitely not a Pettine fan, was just pointing out it was a good defensive performance and we've strung a number of those together to end the year. We've been playing like a top 6 defense the second half of the year. Need to keep that going these next two games for sure.

Like, I have no love for Pettine.  None.

But I can't find fault in his game against the Rams.  It isn't what I wanted to see, but it what I needed to see.

He had a 3 DL set to try to neutralize the run.

He got pressure with 4 and I saw a few interesting coverages back there.

He didn't get beat deep and his guys missed few tackles.

It's weird that I hate not hating him.

For funsies, here's a different way to express my issue with Pettine's scheme this year - the five defenses below are GB 2012, GB 2014, GB 2015, and GB 2020; can you guess which is which?

Tm G Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int PD Int% Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate
Green Bay Packers 16 333 564 59 3623 26 4.6 18 88 3.2 6.9 6.4 11.7 226.4 82
Green Bay Packers 16 321 551 58.3 3642 20 3.6 16 72 2.9 7.1 6.5 12.1 227.6 80.1
Green Bay Packers 16 313 568 55.1 3492 24 4.2 18 92 3.2 6.7 6.1 12.1 218.3 76.8
Green Bay Packers 16 346 536 64.6 3539 23 4.3 11 74 2.1 7.1 7 11 221.2 91.1

If you're playing along at home, that's 2014, 2015, 2012, and 2020.  One of these things is not like the others, despite having arguably the most talent of the four.  I don't love that.

Edited by MrBobGray

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

If you're playing along at home, that's 2014, 2015, 2012, and 2020.  One of these things is not like the others, despite having arguably the most talent of the four.  I don't love that.

if you have a minute, I'd love to see the season splits Games 1-8 and Games 9-16 (or 17 w/ Rams game) and see how those stack up. I suspect 2nd half looks better since DVOA improved so much.

I'm more concerned about this to feel better about playoffs than anything Pettine related ha. I was on the "fire Pettine" wagon last year already because I agree that the product hadn't met the quality of the players, but looks like it's catching up at the right time at least.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

if you have a minute, I'd love to see the season splits Games 1-8 and Games 9-16 (or 17 w/ Rams game) and see how those stack up. I suspect 2nd half looks better since DVOA improved so much.

I'm more concerned about this to feel better about playoffs than anything Pettine related ha. I was on the "fire Pettine" wagon last year already because I agree that the product hadn't met the quality of the players, but looks like it's catching up at the right time at least.

giphy.gif

• Weeks 1-9: 175 of 249 (70.2% completion), 1875 yards (234.38 ypg, 7.54 YPA), 13 TDs, 3 INTs, 104.4 passer rating
  • Weeks 10-19: 192 of 314 (61% completion), 1812 yards (201.33 ypg, 5.78 YPA), 11 TDs, 8 INTs, 78.1 passer rating

Well, I gotta give you this one, you're dead on there.  Frankly I did not expect the difference to be that stark - they played better passing offenses overall in the first half of the season, but not to that degree.

• Like 1

We.  Have.  Not.  Played.  A.  Legitimate.  NFL.  Quarterback.  

None of these last 9 weeks matter.  It doesn’t matter.  You think we’d have held the Titans to 14 points if it was Brees or Mahomes or Brady or a QB with a brain?

You’re all less than a week away from flooding this topic so hard Webby is gonna need more servers for this thread alone.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We.  Have.  Not.  Played.  A.  Legitimate.  NFL.  Quarterback.  

None of these last 9 weeks matter.  It doesn’t matter.  You think we’d have held the Titans to 14 points if it was Brees or Mahomes or Brady or a QB with a brain?

You’re all less than a week away from flooding this topic so hard Webby is gonna need more servers for this thread alone.

Brees?

Also: Tannehill > Brady

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Like, I have no love for Pettine.  None.

But I can't find fault in his game against the Rams.  It isn't what I wanted to see, but it what I needed to see.

He had a 3 DL set to try to neutralize the run.

He got pressure with 4 and I saw a few interesting coverages back there.

He didn't get beat deep and his guys missed few tackles.

It's weird that I hate not hating him.

Will this game plan work against Brady, or will he find the holes that Goff could not.  Goff was more than happy to take all the easy stuff, but will Brady be more adventurous?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

giphy.gif

• Weeks 1-9: 175 of 249 (70.2% completion), 1875 yards (234.38 ypg, 7.54 YPA), 13 TDs, 3 INTs, 104.4 passer rating
  • Weeks 10-19: 192 of 314 (61% completion), 1812 yards (201.33 ypg, 5.78 YPA), 11 TDs, 8 INTs, 78.1 passer rating

Well, I gotta give you this one, you're dead on there.  Frankly I did not expect the difference to be that stark - they played better passing offenses overall in the first half of the season, but not to that degree.

Not that I think it's ALL this, but...

Having Clark back and healthy probably had a lot to do with the turn around and the things Pettine can do with him out there.

Add the COVID season to the mix, and...well I'd guess that the defenses were at a stark disadvantage early in the year.

So...if Clark had that much to do with it...let's go try to get another IDL in the draft or free agency.  (Along with Keke.)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Will this game plan work against Brady, or will he find the holes that Goff could not.  Goff was more than happy to take all the easy stuff, but will Brady be more adventurous?

My thoughts/feelings.

Brady will take the checkdowns and easy ones all game long.  He will bleed us.

His coach, though, will want to go deep.  And he will call the game as such.

The two methodologies will be clashing big time in this game.

We all know the key.  Get a rush up the middle and in Tom's face.  Make him move.  And, I dare say, we need to neutralize the run.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not that I think it's ALL this, but...

Having Clark back and healthy probably had a lot to do with the turn around and the things Pettine can do with him out there.

Add the COVID season to the mix, and...well I'd guess that the defenses were at a stark disadvantage early in the year.

So...if Clark had that much to do with it...let's go try to get another IDL in the draft or free agency.  (Along with Keke.)

Add an IDL whose main strength is pass rush to this defense and not even Pettine could **** it up.

• Like 1