Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

46 minutes ago, Joe said:

We've discussed this several times: MLF's initial pick when to New Orleans and Mennenga as the second or third choice.

I get your point, but I'm sick of blaming the offense when we allowed multiple big plays down the field. It wasn't just the Scotty Miller play, it was also the bomb that set up the Fournette TD, which - note - was really run off RT IIRC. I'll give you that the run defense clamped down and Snacks had something to do with that despite not showing up in the box score.

Bear in mind that there was a ton of miscommunication where we got nailed for 12 guys on the field....TWICE...that's on the coach for not communicating well with his players.

You sure can blame the offense when they are gifted two INT's late in the game and fail to get even one first down.

We shut down the run, couldn't ask for much more than that.

We limited the tight ends.  They did not move the needle in the game.  The one big play came when we sold out against the run.

We know they like to take shots.  And they got those shots in.  One of those shots took a great contested catch.  And we took away our fair share.

If you told me that we would pick Brady off two times in the fourth quarter and I'm telling you we win the game with the offense we have.  But we didn't.

I'm super upset about Pettine's call at the end of the half, but ultimately the offense failed us as well.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

We've discussed this several times: MLF's initial pick when to New Orleans and Mennenga as the second or third choice.

I get your point, but I'm sick of blaming the offense when we allowed multiple big plays down the field. It wasn't just the Scotty Miller play, it was also the bomb that set up the Fournette TD, which - note - was really run off RT IIRC. I'll give you that the run defense clamped down and Snacks had something to do with that despite not showing up in the box score.

Bear in mind that there was a ton of miscommunication where we got nailed for 12 guys on the field....TWICE...that's on the coach for not communicating well with his players.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy, TB was still under their season average for passing yards despite us feeling like there were several explosive plays that shouldn't have happened (one being the bobbled catch against Savage in the deep middle).  Weirdly, this D plays better than it feels like it plays.  And it delivered three crucial INTs late in the game.  No one is without blame, but it wasn't solely a Pettine thing (except the call before halftime...).

9 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

The odds of winning if we go for it: 10%. 

The odds of winning if we kick the FG: 9.5%.

Not really a fireable offense. 

While I think your point is accurate, the methodology behind those percentages is definitely questionable. 

3 hours ago, pf9 said:

Can't speak for Pettine, but I think we could use a head coaching change.

I can't stand by a coach who all but waved the white flag by kicking a field goal.

This coming from the guy who called it a “really tough decision” to move on from Aaron Rodgers half way through the 2nd quarter of the NFCCG.

Like honestly, I can’t even with these takes of yours anymore. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I think your point is accurate, the methodology behind those percentages is definitely questionable. 

Maybe, but it takes into account a lot of things the fans don’t. Such as even if we tie it, TB gets a full two minutes where they just have to get a field goal to win. With the way our run defense was playing, I like our odds much better of stopping the run on three plays than trying to stopping a few short passes down the field. 

ETA:  I absolutely hate the amount of hate this decision is getting. It really wasn’t like going for it and getting it was an automatic win not even taking into account the super low odds of scoring a TD and 2 point conversion. 

Edited by mikebpackfan
  • Like 1