What Are You Expecting from Your Sophomores

Daniel

On 9/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, minutemancl said:

I'm glad you put him in your list. Yes, you're pretty much dead on with what you said. He really came up big at the end of last year and he's been good so far in camp. There are rumors of Garrett using a lot of 2-TE sets, but I don't buy it; he didn't use them in Dallas. Instead, I'm guessing Smith will get a lot of snaps when Engram inevitably gets hurt. He's a solid TE.

I want to elaborate on this, because I found this funny: Kaden Smith is essentially a Bear Pascoe clone. Both were drafted in the 6th round by the Niners and claimed by the Giants before their rookie seasons began. In play style, they are similar as well. Both are big guys (both 6'5", but Pascoe was a bit heavier) that can both block well and catch well, but aren't overwhelmingly impressive in any particular aspect. The biggest difference I would say is that Kaden Smith is a fair bit more athletic than Pascoe and a more serious receiving threat.

I'm going to do my own writeup for the Giants sophomores this weekend. I'd also be genuinely interested in a "what are you expecting from your juniors? (3rd year players)" thread. For a lot of positions, the 3rd year is when you expect to see a big jump. I know that is the case for a good amount of Giants players from that 2018 draft- Will Hernandez and Lorenzo Carter especially. 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:16 PM, Chiefer said:

Chiefs  -

2a) Mecole Hardman - Was a great 4th option down the stretch, and that will continue this year. FAST

2b) Juan Thornhill - Already recovered from ACL tear, was looking really good before that.

3) Khalen Saunders NT - Solid rotational player with great strength. 

6) Rashad Fenton CB - In the starting rotation at corner, solid with good technique 

6b) Darwin Thompson RB - Barely makes it in as a 3rd back

7) Nick Allegreti C/G - Depth guy

All six received SB rings and four played in the game (Thornhill was injured).

They all made the roster again. The Chiefs only kept three RB and Thompson was one. Fenton will start at CB for the first four games. They like Hardman enough that they wanted to find someone else for PR duties, so he could concentrate on offense. 

Quinnen Williams- Pro Bowl caliber season. I think he takes a huge jump and lives up to draft position. 

Bless Austin- Solid CB2. He transformed his body and has good size, speed. I can see him taking a leap through the adversity he faced last year. He’s been our best CB in camp. 

Blake Cashman- GW loves him and the opportunity is there for him to be a starting ILB. He’s very athletic and was thrown into the fire last year. 

Sadly we have no 2nd year offensive players to be happy or excited about. 

TE TJ Hockenson - he's got the talent, but between injuries and rookie development, he was massively disappointing last season. I expect a big jump, maybe not to Pro Bowl level just yet, but close. He's got no excuses to get open often with all the Lions other passing weapons. 

LB Jahlani Tavai - I expect he'll get snaps at ILB but with the Lions tendency to play nickel all the time, and them bringing in Reggie Ragland as another big LB, Tavai's chances to be a major piece seem reduced.

S Will Harris - Another young guy who's up in the air till we see how things shake out between Duron Harmon, Tracy Walker, and him. He didn't impress greatly in last year's terrible secondary. 

DE Austin Bryant - Has shoulders made of toilet paper and glue. Has rarely practiced, let alone played.

CB Amani Oruwariye - Seemed like a steal to me at draft time, and it looks that way so far. He might actually start over Okudah to begin the season, and looks like a candidate to take over for Trufant in the future to be a long term starter.

WR Travis Fulgham - Outta here

RB Ty Johnson - I don't know why they kept him, he showed me nothing of value last season. He will pbly be cut when the Adrian Peterson signing becomes official

TE Isaac Nauta - Outta here, though I would have liked to see him stay.

DT PJ Johnson - 💩

Josh Allen looked like a star in the making last season, but he was also the #3 pass rusher on the team. Now, being thrust into the #1 role, one wonders whether he will have some growing pains. I still expect him to be successful, but maybe not quite the progression he would have seen had we kept pieces around him. 

Jawaan Taylor looks like he’ll be slotted into RT and has the makings for being one of the better OL on the team.

Josh Oliver is injured again. I don’t expect he’ll see even 100 snaps this year.

Quincey Williams will likely have a shot to take over at SLB as the season wears on, but I wouldn’t expect too much from him.

Ryquell Armstead had the inside track to being the starting RB as rumblings started in March that the Jaguars would enter the season without Fournette. A mediocre showing and two stints on the COVID exempt list (where he currently resides) has left him likely going to be RB3 when he finally is activated, and I wouldn’t expect anything of him. 

Gardner Minshew has his shot this year, and the entire season likely belongs solely to him as the only other QB on the roster is 6th round rookie Jake Luton. I don’t expect him to do anything to prove he should be the long term starter.

Dontavius Russell is on the IR as well. I have heard next to nothing about him, which is always a good sign. He’s got a hip injury, but if he’s able to come back mid-season he might get a shot to showcase his talent with how horrible the IDL looks for this team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

All six received SB rings and four played in the game (Thornhill was injured).

They all made the roster again. The Chiefs only kept three RB and Thompson was one. Fenton will start at CB for the first four games. They like Hardman enough that they wanted to find someone else for PR duties, so he could concentrate on offense. 

This draft got some good amount of hate from the fan base but I like it overall two years in. 

Im surprised Darwin made it in, must be ST skills. He also said he’d like to be a coach in the future and we all know how Reid churns out coaches 

I thought we cut our dedicated returner? Mecole might have to keep that duty. We’re so stacked offensively that it’s okay to part time him out to Special Teams

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

This draft got some good amount of hate from the fan base but I like it overall two years in. 

Im surprised Darwin made it in, must be ST skills. He also said he’d like to be a coach in the future and we all know how Reid churns out coaches 

I thought we cut our dedicated returner? Mecole might have to keep that duty. We’re so stacked offensively that it’s okay to part time him out to Special Teams

I agree. Thornhill was looking like a future Pro Bowler when he was injured. Hardman is not Hill, but the family resemblance is there. We drafted a solid rotation NT, a backup IOL, a RB3 that excels on ST and had a fumble recovery in the SB/ Oh, yeah. The last guy, the 5th round DB, is starting game #1. Not shabby.

Thompson is a ST ace, but he also does everything you can ask a RB--run between the T, run outside, catch the ball, protect Mahomes. He's a glue guy.

J

for us i suppose the big three are on offense, diontae johnson showed a lot of good with two spuds throwing to him so with another year, with claypool and ebron in the attack too, and with of course the big kahuna throwing his way, the table is well set for a good year from him i would have to say

benny snell is someone who contributed well when called upon and should do the same, strong, but not too too flashy; but definitely a helpful hand

chuks okarafor should also contribute whether as a starter or as our "tight end" on runs as the sixth lineman in the formation we often utilise

On 9/2/2020 at 11:42 AM, Daniel said:

Yeah, we're gonna be leaning pretty heavily on this class this season.  I expect big things from Simmons and Brown, but I don't know yet if Simmons can carry the interior line.

I actually don't expect much from Hooker, at least as a CB.  If they liked what they saw late in the season as much as they did early, Fulton likely wouldn't have been picked.

Walker is going to be the difference maker IMO.  If he can be a 4-5 sack guy, it will be huge for our edge rotation.  Derrick Roberson too.  With the Beasley situation, we're gonna need multiple guys who can play at that level on the edge.

Aaaaand he's cut.

• Like 1

Packers:

1.12 Rashan Gary OLB Michigan - He was probably the boom or bust player of the draft.  He was not very productive as a rookie, he was behind Za'Darius and Preston Smith, and Kyler Fackrell.  This season, he is the 3rd pass rush OLB.  All reports are positive this year, and he should be a big contributor to the pass rush.  He will see an increase in playing time, and a better statistical season.  He is still a work in progress, and the needle is pointing up.

1.21 Darnell Savage S Maryland - He was an immediate starter and upgrade in our secondary.  I look for him to build on his rookie season and be a plus starter at safety.

2.44 Elgton Jenkins G Mississippi State - This guy is really, really good. I expect him to make Pro Bowls in the future.  He started 14 games as a rookie at LG and is the starter there this season as well.  He may be even better at C, we will see what happens next season when Cory Linsley is a free agent, and likely not retained.  

3.75 Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M - He started his rookie season on IR and came back week 9.  He only had 3 receptions, all in the playoffs and a TD in the really close game at SF.  This season he started on the Covid list at the beginning of camp.  He is going to be in the mix at TE.  But the Packers may have the worst TE situation in the league.  He has the chance to put up some numbers, the position is wide open this year, at the same time, he is competing with Social Security drawing Marcedes Lewis, project former D3 WR Robert Tonyan, and rookie H-back Josiah Deguara.

5.150 Kingsley Keke DE Texas A&M - I was surprised to see that he played in 14 games last season he had 10 tackles on the season as well as a TFL in that really close game at SF.  Reports are positive coming into this year.  Hopefully he can become a good player in rotation.  The Packers line is Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry, and I think a stuffed animal in a helmet, so the opportunity is there.  If he can be an additional piece to the DL, that we sorely need, it is a positive.

6.185 Ka'dar Hollman CB Toledo- He played in only 4 games as a rookie.  He is probably the 5th CB on the depth chart.  He is an interesting project, because he has all of the physical characteristics you would want from a CB.  But he is already 25 years old.  He likely doesn't contribute at all, such is a 6th round pick.

6.194 Dexter Williams RB Notre Dame- I was surprised to see that he played in 4 games last season.  He starts this season on the Practice Squad, and with the depth chart the way it is, he is probably destined to stay there.  On a positive note, both Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams will be FAs next season, so he has a path to the roster in the relatively near future.  His college highlights also remind one of former Packer and Golden Domer Ryan Grant.  But he hasn't actually produced anything.  *of note, he is not listed on the Packers roster, not practice squad, injured or anywhere.  Could be an error by the webstaff, but I'm like 95% sure he is on the PS.

7.226 Ty Summers ILB TCU - He played in all 16 games as a rookie, on special teams.  He is currently the 3rd ILB on the roster, but will be jumped by Kamal Martin when he returns, and the defense seems to prefer adding a safety and taking away an ILB for sub packages.  He is a role player.  Every team needs these guys.

7/8 on the team, 8th on the Practice Squad (I think).  Two very good starters and Gary should contribute quite a bit.  KeKe and Sternberger have the chance to really contribute.  And Summers is a big ST guy.  So far, this looks like a pretty good draft. 

UDFAs:  CB Kabion Ento is on IR.  Yosh Nijman is a backup OL.  LB Randy Ramsey is a backup.  WR Darrius Shepherd and LB Greg Roberts are on the PS.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

2.44 Elgton Jenkins G Mississippi State - This guy is really, really good. I expect him to make Pro Bowls in the future.  He started 14 games as a rookie at LG and is the starter there this season as well.  He may be even better at C, we will see what happens next season when Cory Linsley is a free agent, and likely not retained.  

I'm not right on every guy but I really was strong on my opinion of Elgton Jenkins that he was a first round talent in last years draft. Glad he is panning out.

31 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm not right on every guy but I really was strong on my opinion of Elgton Jenkins that he was a first round talent in last years draft. Glad he is panning out.

I saw that we drafted an interior lineman in the second round, I was not happy.  Jenkins shut me up pretty quickly.  He really should be a starter for 10 seasons.  

On 9/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

I'll list the players in order of expected impact and value this season.

Dwayne Haskins (1st round) - Was much better last season than traditional stats indicated.  Was challenged by Rivera in the beginning of the offseason to earn the starting job.  Haskins accepted the challenge, completely transforming his body and earning high praise for his work ethic and understanding of the playbook, especially given the hand he was dealt learning a new offense in his second year during Covid.  Was just officially named the starter today.  I expect him to have an uneven season full of average to below-average QB play (mostly due to the surrounding talent and his inexperience), but with flashes of brilliance.  I think it'll be clear at the end of the season that he our franchise QB.

Terry McLaurin (3rd round) - Best player on the team (pending how Young emerges).  Will be considered a consensus top 10 WR by the end of the year if he stays healthy.  Our only proven weapon on offense (unless you count AD as a "weapon").

Montez Sweat (1st round) - He started slow last year, but came on late, with 5.5 of his 7 sacks last season coming after week 8.  Has supposedly had the best camp for the WFT, apparently looking like a dominating force by most reports.  Albeit, some of it is against an unproven left side of the OL.  In terms of expectations, I'm expecting him to be better than he was last season, but not a pro-bowl caliber player - yet.  He should see a ton of 1-on-1 blocking, but I'm still a little leery of expecting too much out of him given his relative inexperience playing the DE position (only 2 years in college).  He still has a lot to learn when it comes to pairing his freakish athleticism with his technique.

Steven Sims (UDFA) - A pleasant surprise last year.  Was one of the best kick returners in the league to begin the year, and was statistically one of the best slot WRs in the league in the last several games at the end of the year.  He hasn't received a ton of praise in camp, so I'm not expecting him to pick up where he left off last year, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he did.  He'll be used in the backfield a lot on misdirections and end-arounds in this Scott Turner offense, and will be a good security blanket for Dwayne in the middle of the field.

Jimmy Moreland (7th round) - The People's Corner.  He had a lot of hype in TC last year, but didn't do much during the season.  CB is a tough position to learn, so I wasn't really surprised he struggled.  He's been getting hype in this training camp as well, but I'm expecting him to actually live up to some of it this year.  He's been starting at Nickel for us and filling in for Fuller on the outside in base while Fuller deals with his nagging injury.  Landon Collins called him out as the player to expect to break out on defense this year.

Cole Holcomb (5th round) - I believe he led all rookies in tackles last year, but I could be wrong.  Very solid run defender, but a liability in coverage.  I expect him to start at times this year, but I'm not sure how much he'll actually play given we have a group of LBs who are all at about the same skill level.  None are really standout starters.

Wes Martin (4th round) - Hoping he's our solution at LG, but he's had a rough camp.  Got called out after practice by Rivera in front of the media a couple of weeks ago and they've been cycling in new players at LG since then.  This will likely be our weakest position on offense, regardless.

Bryce Love (4th round) - Has been working with both the 1st and 2nd teams, with conflicting reports on if he looks "back to normal".  Some say he looks like he still has a hitch in his step and doesn't look as fast or explosive as he once did.  Others say he looks like Stanford Bryce Love.  I don't expect him to do much this year if AP, Gibson and McKissic all stay healthy.  There's even talk that he could be released.  We'll see.

Ross Pierschbacher (5th round) - JAG.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's released and replaced by our rookie center.

Jordan Brailford (7th round) - Also JAG.  Not sure if he makes the team.  If he does, it'll be due to Special Teams.

Kelvin Harmon (6th round) - Tore his ACL a couple months ago.  Huge blow for Haskins, as they had a great connection and were training regularly during the offseason.  He was our clear starting outside WR opposite Terry, and his presence will definitely be missed.

Got his first career INT yesterday and almost took it to the house.

• Like 1