Raiders place Marcus Mariota on IR

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

What pieces did Gruden inherit that he gave up though? Other than Cooper and Mack? We lost who? Bruce Irvin? Donald Penn? 

I listed them quite comprehensibly a few posts ago and I expanded on what I thought the impact was and you were obviously not satisfied.

You yourself said a number of posts ago that Gruden inherited a 'mediocre team' which is what I have been saying all along, not a 'dumpster fire'.

I rest my case 😀

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@jimkelly02, wondering if you still feel the same way?
while our big FA additions still havent been great, we seemed to have picked up a lot of pieces this offseason; agholor, kwiat, booker.
Arnette and Ruggs looking like players.
Ferrell playing better (still def underwhelming considering draft position)
Abrams (hot and cold)
Jacobs - a beast.

Id say that criticizing mayock so aggressively before the season was a little bit of hyperbowl?

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He was right though. Booker looks fantastic. At least we got a 4th back and he admitted the mistake. Not defending him, but it's better to have something than nothing.

While Bowden has 1 touch for -1 yards with Miami this season on a team that is lacking playmakers. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tbf that might also be coaching. I have no idea what kind of player he'll be but it's worth noting that team fit matters.

Bowden was just an average prospect as a slot WR and that's probably his best role in the NFL. I think the biggest issue with him is that he's kind of a jack of all trades but a master of none. He's good with the ball in his hands but his running style doesn't really translate into being a full-time RB and his best position is probably the slot but he's not a great route runner. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Bowden was just an average prospect as a slot WR and that's probably his best role in the NFL. I think the biggest issue with him is that he's kind of a jack of all trades but a master of none. He's good with the ball in his hands but his running style doesn't really translate into being a full-time RB and his best position is probably the slot but he's not a great route runner. 

Yeah he's very raw. His upside would come down the line.

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

the fact that he was said to have not looked explosive is very telling. Hes supposed to be a playmaker/offensive weapon but is raw at RB and WR, a1 athleticism is what he should have been getting by on until he refined his skill set.

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That's true but I don't think he'll ever be much more than a gadget player. But other then Taysom Hill, how many gadget players are having a big impact or helping an offense in a big way? 

Just now, Geezy said:

the fact that he was said to have not looked explosive is very telling. Hes supposed to be a playmaker/offensive weapon but is raw at RB and WR, a1 athleticism is what he should have been getting by on until he refined his skill set.

Bowden wasn't that explosive in college either though. He was effective in college with elusiveness and power but was just average in terms of speed/explosiveness. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's true but I don't think he'll ever be much more than a gadget player. But other then Taysom Hill, how many gadget players are having a big impact or helping an offense in a big way? 

Also true. I normally am not a big fan of gadget players. Patterson was an exception.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, BackinBlack said:

@jimkelly02, wondering if you still feel the same way?
while our big FA additions still havent been great, we seemed to have picked up a lot of pieces this offseason; agholor, kwiat, booker.
Arnette and Ruggs looking like players.
Ferrell playing better (still def underwhelming considering draft position)
Abrams (hot and cold)
Jacobs - a beast.

Id say that criticizing mayock so aggressively before the season was a little bit of hyperbowl?

Oh course it was hyperbolic.... it was typical freak out rant on my part... 

while things are going good for us currently.... Mayock still bombed on Bowden and Muse in the draft.  How can you spend 2 3rds and neither can make a team that isn’t very deep at all.

i was pro Arnette immediately after finding out he didn’t run a 4.57.... although he still should have traded down and gotten him still.  MM admitted the were offers and he’d still have been able to get Arnette.  That’s 2 wasted 3rds and approx a 3rd and 5th in opportunity cost by not trading down.  That’s a lot of draft capital right there.

I’ve always been one of the highest people here on Ferrell.... mainly because I’m willing to be blissfully ignorant and just pray he’ll become a lesser version of Cameron Jordan.

i said Agholor would be a nice pickup from day 1 and was so-so on Booker.  

but now it’s apparent that I was absolutely Right that Collins was going to be a massive disappointment and Nassib should only have been offered 1yr guaranteed.  Yes, he’s on the books for 9.5M next year and we basically can’t cut him to save any money.

i was for Ceedee Lamb who has been balling out but was understanding of the Ruggs pick.  I said he’d open up The offense but not be a high volume target, which I was right about.

basically nothing has changed about my beliefs in MM other than the fact the offense is playing so well that it’s covered up his bad moves.

i still like the guy..... he just has to learn from his mistakes and not waste cap space on duds and draft picks.

And oh yeah.... how’s pj hall playing in Houston? Pretty darn good.  Should have kept him like I said.  That was another really bad move by MM.

And don’t get be started on how he should have addressed DT, LB, and S in FA prior to the start of the season.... we could have used more depth.

Edited by jimkelly02

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

And oh yeah.... how’s pj hall playing in Houston? Pretty darn good.  Should have kept him like I said.  That was another really bad move by MM.

And don’t get be started on how he should have addressed DT, LB, and S in FA prior to the start of the season.... we could have used more depth.

I could be wrong but wouldn't cutting Hall be more on Gruden and the coaches.  I could not imagine Mayock cutting him while the coaches wanted him.  In the end I believe this was a coaches decision.