2021 - NFL Draft Prospects Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

Just now, matt79511 said:

Yeah, well, I disagree, and the "universal" part is definitely untrue. Brett Kollman called Horn his highest graded DB since Jalen Ramsey. Thor Nystrom comped Surtain to Ramsey. We can't just regurgitate Cavanaugh/Brugler/Broaddus and call ourselves well-informed. We can agree to disagree but I think they're all pretty close.

I don't have a horse in this - I don't study film. lol

I would be very interested in reading those opinions though. If you ever come across some of those article (or newer ones that pop up) post them. Would be awesome to read for someone like me that doesn't spend time to cross analyze classes. 

7 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't have a horse in this - I don't study film. lol

I would be very interested in reading those opinions though. If you ever come across some of those article (or newer ones that pop up) post them. Would be awesome to read for someone like me that doesn't spend time to cross analyze classes. 

Sure thing:

Nystrom CB rankings-

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/rankings/2021-nfl-draft-cb-rankings

Kollmann on Horn-

I think they're both phenomenal and would be bummed to not land either of them unless we land a future first in a trade down or an obvious superstar in Sewell or Pitts.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

If a team is dangling a high 2nd this year or potential mid-1st (or higher) next year, I’m going to strongly consider it. 

There's always a price that makes it worthwhile to trade away from a player.

I think way a lot of people view it is, if Sewell is on the board, they aren't trading out of the pick for what the "trade value chart" indicates. Which I agree. But could you get a serious premium from a team like Chicago? Yeah, you might. And in that case... see ya on the flip side, Penei. 

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You know what really blows my mind? The player I was most excited about (for a defensive player) was Mo - and while he wasn't awful - he certainly didn't live up to expectation. 

Yeah... I feel like that pick played a big part in our fixation on size/length at CB and attempts to imitate Seattle. Being a "playmaker" at boundary CB doesn't mean much if 6'3/6'4 guys can just body you. No doubt this year's top CBs (including a healthy Farley) are elite athletes.

40 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is one where if you can trade back to 15 and then trade down again to like 20 (should Horn be gone at 15), it would be ideal. Keeping all compensation this year, we’d get either two 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd out of the trades, and can then pick between Newsome or Barmore at 20. Not a bad position to be in.

Now, if JOK were to slip to 20, he’d be my pick.

In an ideal NE trade down scenario, you can wind up with some pretty terrific infusions of talent:

#15 - CB - Horn
#44 - LB - Davis/Bolton/Cox
#46 - FS - Holland/Grant/Molden
#75 - OT - Little/Brown/Christensen
#99 - DT - Togiai/McNeill/Wilson

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D82 said:

I don’t want any part of Farley. He’s off my board if I’m the Cowboys. We’ve been burned far too many times by often-injured players.

At this point I’d take a day 3 flyer, those picks are a coin toss anyway. But I wouldn’t touch him during the first two days at all.

7 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

At this point I’d take a day 3 flyer, those picks are a coin toss anyway. But I wouldn’t touch him during the first two days at all.

That’s basically where I am now. If he can stay healthy, would he make a better 5th round pick than just about anyone else? Probably.

52 minutes ago, D82 said:

I don’t want any part of Farley. He’s off my board if I’m the Cowboys. We’ve been burned far too many times by often-injured players.

I seen something on this yesterday. Some Dr. friend, who basically said Farley’s injury is the same as Romo’s. If that’s the case, rd 5 is when my interest amps up. 

Feel bad for the kid.

Edited by WizardHawk

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s basically where I am now. If he can stay healthy, would he make a better 5th round pick than just about anyone else? Probably.

For all intents and purposes, he should be off the board. 

I compare the draft to blackjack a lot. To me, this is like hitting when you have 18. Could an ace, 2, or 3 show up? Sure. But in the long run, you are not maximizing your odds of success. You just have to let someone else be right. If Caleb Farley becomes a stud (very possible), then fine, it played out well for them in the idiosyncratic short run. In the long run, you are going to build better teams by not taking risks like this.

There are quite a few guys every year that you need to be really careful drafting too early, whether they are injury risks (Farley, Phillips), lack production (Oweh, Paye), have character concerns (Parsons),  are athletic anomalies (Collins, Smith), have insufficient athleticism (Rousseau), or are small school Tarzan/Janes (Milton Williams). Some of those players will be NFL stars, certainly. But you are unlikely to win Super Bowls by regularly placing large bets trying to guess which ones.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

For all intents and purposes, he should be off the board. 

I compare the draft to blackjack a lot. To me, this is like hitting when you have 18. Could an ace, 2, or 3 show up? Sure. But in the long run, you are not maximizing your odds of success. You just have to let someone else be right. If Caleb Farley becomes a stud (very possible), then fine, it played out well for them in the idiosyncratic short run. In the long run, you are going to build better teams by not taking risks like this.

There are quite a few guys every year that you need to be really careful drafting too early, whether they are injury risks (Farley, Phillips), lack production (Oweh, Paye), have character concerns (Parsons),  are athletic anomalies (Collins, Smith), have insufficient athleticism (Rousseau), or are small school Tarzan/Janes (Milton Williams). Some of those players will be NFL stars, certainly. But you are unlikely to win Super Bowls by regularly placing large bets trying to guess which ones.

Which is exactly why you’ve seen me say for years that I’d rather draft guys from major programs who have proven histories of significant production. 

Edited by plan9misfit

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Which is exactly why you’ve seen me say for years that I’d rather draft guys from manor programs who have proven histories of significant production. 

I'm not entirely against small school guys. But you better have dominated your competition if I'm going to take you in the first two rounds.