Von Miller done for the year

paul-mac

The key is Malik Reed making a leap. I really liked him as a prospect, was delighted when we stole him as an UDFA but to be honest I didn’t see much to be excited about when he started last year, and he progressively lost snaps to Attaochu and Hollins. He’s reportedly had a great camp and really improved the first step so we’ll see. 

34 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The key is Malik Reed making a leap. I really liked him as a prospect, was delighted when we stole him as an UDFA but to be honest I didn’t see much to be excited about when he started last year, and he progressively lost snaps to Attaochu and Hollins. He’s reportedly had a great camp and really improved the first step so we’ll see. 

Yeah he hit the rookie wall really fast after the first 4/5 weeks of the season last year. Problem is I dont think the Broncos have the time to wait halfway through the season to see what Reed really is. I would like if they brought in a guy like Wake/Suggs/Ansah just for some veteran assurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah he hit the rookie wall really fast after the first 4/5 weeks of the season last year. Problem is I dont think the Broncos have the time to wait halfway through the season to see what Reed really is. I would like if they brought in a guy like Wake/Suggs/Ansah just for some veteran assurance.

I think this is why you would bring a vet in like Clay Matthews because I think Matthews could push Reed a bit.  

Father time is a cruel opponent. Sad thing about this injury is that it likely would have happened at some point in the season anyway. From the description I read, he was in the middle of a textbook pass rush and it popped. Wasn't a case of him tripping or getting stepped on; he hadn't even engaged a blocker yet when he pulled up. It's been my experience that those kinds of unassisted "freak" injuries are usually due to a slow, undetected breakdown of connective tissue. Much like an Achilles rupture, this was probably inevitable. 30's are a difficult age to transition into. I learned that the hard way when I tore my groin riding motocross. Jumped a 40 foot gap; done it a million times. Overshot the landing by a couple of feet. It was a hard landing, but nothing I hadn't rode out of dozens of times in my life. And for no real reason, this particular time my groin just snapped. I soooo hope I'm wrong, but the realist in me says that we've likely seen the last of Von as a perennial all pro. 

Obviously losing Von is a big deal, can't argue that. The impact may be overstated though. We've done a pretty good upgrade on the DL and our interior pass rush could be vastly improved. That and improved CB play could make Von's loss a lot easier to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Zukhyubern said:

So now we’ve tried and failed to sign Cameron Wake and Clay Matthews. Elway being stingy smh 

I don’t mind.  They’re not going anywhere this year any way.  Best case is 9-7, sneak in as a wild card, lose to the number 2 seed in the 1st round.  Why splurge on a 1 year rental, at the cost of developing guys.  Save your pennies, spend ‘em on Simmons or a LT or somebody that can help next year, when maybe we have a serious chance to do something meaningful. 

12 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I don’t mind.  They’re not going anywhere this year any way.  Best case is 9-7, sneak in as a wild card, lose to the number 2 seed in the 1st round.  Why splurge on a 1 year rental, at the cost of developing guys.  Save your pennies, spend ‘em on Simmons or a LT or somebody that can help next year, when maybe we have a serious chance to do something meaningful. 

Look I get what you’re saying but we have 3 pass rushers on the roster: one of which is on a “pitch count,” and two are unproven, inexperienced guys. No matter how you shake it we need something.