Ryan Shazier officially retires

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Shazier is basically a case study in how bad tackling form (lowering your head completely down) can lead to catastrophic and career-ending injuries. Him saying he wanted to return to playing football was ridiculous, and I'm glad that whole charade is officially over.

Yeah, it shouldn't be called tackling because it is weaponizing his head. 

By busting his neck he probably saved himself some dementia.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Shazier is basically a case study in how bad tackling form (lowering your head completely down) can lead to catastrophic and career-ending injuries. Him saying he wanted to return to playing football was ridiculous, and I'm glad that whole charade is officially over.

I'm not sure even Shazier believed he would ever play again, but for a moment try put yourself in his shoes. Im sure he needed something to work toward, something to drive him mentally. But in the end, the risks were far too great and he would never have passed a physical. He was becoming possibly the best ILB in the AFCN prior to that injury.  But this chapter of his life is officially closed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not sure even Shazier believed he would ever play again, but for a moment try put yourself in his shoes. Im sure he needed something to work toward, something to drive him mentally. But in the end, the risks were far too great and he would never have passed a physical. He was becoming possibly the best ILB in the AFCN prior to that injury.  But this chapter of his life is officially closed 

This.

My mentor was shot up pretty bad in Afghanistan. Lost 75% of the use of his left arm when a machine gun opened up on him and took two to his elbow. Took 24 surgeries to fix the damage a 7.62 round caused went through his face. 100% never going back to the Navy.

But what kept him going through the 37 total surgeries, countless hours of P.T., and everything else was getting back to his team and finishing out his tour. It drove him. It made him wake up every day at 6am and try to get his arm working again just well enough to be able to reach his chest to be able to grab something out of his vest. In the back of his head, he knew he'd never go back but he tried his best for 3 years to get back. Everyone around him knew it as well. Friends/family/doctors/teammates all knew he wasn't getting back to the teams but nobody said a word.

A lot of people fall into depressions when something like that happens. A lot of wounded warriors battle depression when they find out they won't go back to their brothers.

It's really depressing/sad a lot of people here in this thread don't realize that and are calling it things like "dumb," "ridiculous," and "asinine" when they've never had something they love taken from them in a split second or have never experienced the level of a life-changing injury he has. I've been there. The injury can destroy you or you can use it as motivation to get back to doing what you love to do.

To sit there and balk at a man trying to get back on the field is dumb.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It was ridiculous... but it was still motivation for him to go through all that he has just to be able to walk around today. That kind of rehab has to be not only physically tough, but an absolute nightmare mentally for someone to go through, especially someone who was such an elite athlete before. I doubt the Steelers ever really had much notion of taking him back after seeing what he was like, but even if that were the case (and Tomlin strikes me as one of the more likely types to do so), I absolutely commend them for letting him have a target he could focus on, and him for doing all he did to get his legs back.

He only turned 28 a few days back, assuming that's his place in the video he is living well, hopefully he can now take the time to focus on what he wants to do for the next 50+ years, and if he attacks that like he did this injury and rehab, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding at it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DR43 said:

What do you  mean by that?

Shaquemele Griffin getting released from the Seahawks and causing a lot of jokes about him missing a hand.

I thought Shazier was going to be the next big thing in the NFL but I was worried about his lack of mass. Kinda wondering if it was just a genetically thoughness thing or if mass plays a factor. Anyways glad he isn't getting himself killed.

40 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This.

My mentor was shot up pretty bad in Afghanistan. Lost 75% of the use of his left arm when a machine gun opened up on him and took two to his elbow. Took 24 surgeries to fix the damage a 7.62 round caused went through his face. 100% never going back to the Navy.

But what kept him going through the 37 total surgeries, countless hours of P.T., and everything else was getting back to his team and finishing out his tour. It drove him. It made him wake up every day at 6am and try to get his arm working again just well enough to be able to reach his chest to be able to grab something out of his vest. In the back of his head, he knew he'd never go back but he tried his best for 3 years to get back. Everyone around him knew it as well. Friends/family/doctors/teammates all knew he wasn't getting back to the teams but nobody said a word.

A lot of people fall into depressions when something like that happens. A lot of wounded warriors battle depression when they find out they won't go back to their brothers.

It's really depressing/sad a lot of people here in this thread don't realize that and are calling it things like "dumb," "ridiculous," and "asinine" when they've never had something they love taken from them in a split second or have never experienced the level of a life-changing injury he has. I've been there. The injury can destroy you or you can use it as motivation to get back to doing what you love to do.

To sit there and balk at a man trying to get back on the field is dumb.

All of this.  Also, for all of the time that the Steelers kept up his contract and kept him on the PUP, IR, reserved list, etc, it allowed him to still be considered an employee of the team and be eligible to use the facilities and team doctors, etc. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 9:57 AM, Tony7188 said:

My memory of Shazier will be the story about the Cowboys trying to draft him. Stephen Jones was on the phone with him saying that he's going to be a Dallas Cowboy but the Steelers took him, causing Jones to slam the telephone down in anger.

Cowboys had to settle for some scrub named Zack Martin

Whatever happened to that bum anyways?

8 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

Cowboys had to settle for some scrub named Zack Martin

Whatever happened to that bum anyways?

He turned out great and it was an amazing move for the Cowboys. But let’s not forget that after Shazier was gone, there was a reported “battle” between drafting Zack Martin or Johnny Manziel in the war room.

Stephen Jones was clutch for us.

Edited by Tony7188