College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

16 hours ago, buno67 said:

If the Browns got Owusu at #26, I will lose my ish in excitement. I think he would fit Woods' defense perfectly. I hear people compare him to Simmos from Clemson who did nothing with Arizona last year. I feel like in 'Zona they didnt know how to quite use him and couldnt really find a spot for him. They have a player and they need to adapt the scheme to fully utilize him. In Cleveland, I believe we have a system that he could fit right in right away

- My question is, how is he different from having Harrison? (although they are different positions, they do similar things)

- How are we better by having him? Our linebackers ranked pretty well in coverage and had 4 ints as a group so is there really a need for another coverage guy?  What does he bring to the run game?

- If anything I would be more inclined to take Collins because he is good in coverage as well as pass rushing and has size to hold up in the AFC North.

14 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Hearing at the senior bowl that a lot of our interviews were with WR’s and LB’s so maybe a little hint as to our priorities for the draft 

Maybe we make our big splash at DE via trade or FA, same with DT

Edited by MSURacerDT55

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- My question is, how is he different from having Harrison? (although they are different positions, they do similar things)

- How are we better by having him? Our linebackers ranked pretty well in coverage and had 4 ints as a group so is there really a need for another coverage guy?  What does he bring to the run game?

- If anything I would be more inclined to take Collins because he is good in coverage as well as pass rushing and has size to hold up in the AFC North.

1st- I dont know enough of Woods' scheme to know exactly what he has done or what he potentially truly wants to do.  Harrison would be your traditional SS and Owusu could be the positions with the cool nickname, you see it all over the place. Rover, Bullett, Viper, whatever you want to call it. The guy just brings the ability to do multiple things. I think if you have harrison and Owusu on the field you could line up in a 4-3, 4-4, 4-2, 4-1-6. Whatever you want because of the ability to play safety or LB. Hell, you could play a hybrid 3 safety look and never have to tip your hand if their is a shift or a motion across the field because you could just have Harrison and Owusu switch responsibilities. All while Delpit is playing the ball hawk safety. who knows tho. It sounds good on my paper at least.

2nd- Yeah the Browns LBs did ranked decently well but there was still a lot of room for improvement. He finished the 2020 campaign with 75.0-plus grades in run defense and coverage per PFF. I dont think we are a LB away from being great run defending team. We need to improve the DL for that. I also would rather improve our pass defense than our run defense.

3rd- This isnt the old AFC north. So the size thing is kinda useless. Cincy just drafted Burrows. So they are going to be invested into really trying to get their passing game to take off. Ravens arent really kiling you with these big brusing backs. It all comes down to Lamar, you stop his rushing, and you greatly weaken their entire offense. Steelers, just showed they were a good awful rushing team. I like Zaven. Dude is ideal for the traditional 4-3 mike or the 3-4ILB. Browns arent running a traditional 4-3 tho

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

This would be an excellent draft for a really bad team. With opt outs and the shortened CFB season there's going to be a bunch of teams trying to move up for guys they think are guaranteed studs. If your team has a ton of holes, it's open season this draft. 

idk about that. yeah  their is a lot of talent but a lot of unproven talent. Gonna be a lot of guys who could have really used another year of film. 

I think with all the unknown for any team, their is going to be a lot of potential trading up to get the guys you really like and trust. This could be a draft that kills a couple GM careers because they over drafted a guy who didnt deserve to go as high as they did 

We simply must get this guy:

"He checks the box of a versatile playmaker in the middle of the field, capable of playing off-ball LB but also as the heavy nickel safety."

Even if we have to trade up to get him.

If we can add Larrimore, which I think we can at a reasonable cost, and add this guy we will have a much more dynamic D, even if Delphin doesn't factor in:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/05/browns-mock-draft-owusu-koramoah-projection/

• Like 1

This is the time of year where I’m not on here much anymore lol

I like how Oklahoma runs their program. They’re kind of a blueprint that you’ll see NFL teams copy. Heck, the upper echelon SEC schools and Clemson already do what they do, but better.

To make a NBA comparison, it’s  like how teams copy Mike Dantoni despite Dantoni never winning in the playoffs.

Here’s a guy I like: