College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Don't think he will be there.

And he’s good anywhere, but ELITE at what we’re gonna ask Ronnie Harrison to do. I doubt we double down on S/LB hybrids. We need to grab a guy that can play primarily over guards in the weak side. A guy with some weight on his frame, but also a guy that can scrape and chase. That screams Jamin Davis—if we attack LB early, which I personally would not. 

42 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

And he’s good anywhere, but ELITE at what we’re gonna ask Ronnie Harrison to do. I doubt we double down on S/LB hybrids. We need to grab a guy that can play primarily over guards in the weak side. A guy with some weight on his frame, but also a guy that can scrape and chase. That screams Jamin Davis—if we attack LB early, which I personally would not. 

I know people hate taking off ball linebackers early, but we’ve had that philosophy forever and it’s been evident when you watch our defense play.

I don’t think we need to force a pick, but at some point investing in a player who can be impactful all 3 downs on the second level of your defense has to happen.

Adding a guy like Zaven Collins would give them a talent at linebacker we probably have seen since in decades tbh.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, #32 said:

With the extra picks and strong roster, I believe Berry will be trading up for an impact player on defense to join Garrett, Ward, and Johnson.  Yes, DE or CB!

I could see a small trade up for a targeted player, but I’d be shocked if it was a massive deal.  Analytics don’t really support that at all.

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know people hate taking off ball linebackers early, but we’ve had that philosophy forever and it’s been evident when you watch our defense play.

I don’t think we need to force a pick, but at some point investing in a player who can be impactful all 3 downs on the second level of your defense has to happen.

Adding a guy like Zaven Collins would give them a talent at linebacker we probably have seen since in decades tbh.

Zaven doesn't fit our scheme at all though. He is going to be used as a SAM linebacker that can occasionally roll down and blitz. He also might be able to help as a sub edge rusher in certain speed packages. But Collins is not someone I think is made for lining up over guards. We need a prototypical WILL linebacker. Zaven's position is the one that we essentially VOID on the field by playing with 3 safeties as a base.

The only way I see us bringing in Zaven is if we really believe he can be our Nickel edge rusher opposite Garrett...which I have doubts about.

I really do think if we take a linebacker in the 1st, it's going to be Jamin Davis because of how he fits what we want to be. He's more of the LaVonte David type that we're missing.

22 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Zaven doesn't fit our scheme at all though. He is going to be used as a SAM linebacker that can occasionally roll down and blitz. He also might be able to help as a sub edge rusher in certain speed packages. But Collins is not someone I think is made for lining up over guards. We need a prototypical WILL linebacker. Zaven's position is the one that we essentially VOID on the field by playing with 3 safeties as a base.

The only way I see us bringing in Zaven is if we really believe he can be our Nickel edge rusher opposite Garrett...which I have doubts about.

I really do think if we take a linebacker in the 1st, it's going to be Jamin Davis because of how he fits what we want to be. He's more of the LaVonte David type that we're missing.

Sure, fine.  I’m not going to pretend like I know much about these guys save the few YouTube clips I’ve seen.

If Davis is the guy, don’t shy away from taking him.  I’m just so incredibly sick of trotting out middling talent at best at linebacker every year and then watching our linebackers continue to get exposed every season.

I get we’re gonna be running a lot of nickel and dime and our defense will be dependent on the play of other positions more than linebacker, but I’m not asking for 3 pro bowlers, just one reasonably significant investment in the postion group every 4-5 years.  

We’re about 2 decades overdue.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Davis is the guy, don’t shy away from taking him.  I’m just so incredibly sick of trotting out middling talent at best at linebacker every year and then watching our linebackers continue to get exposed every season.

I agree. Our linebackers were god awful last year and there's no denying that. We haven't had a great linebacker in what seems like forever.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

It's pretty sad when you could argue that someone like Joe Schobert has been our best LB since 1999.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And we halfway lucked into him as he was a 4th rounder.

The last off ball LB the Browns drafted in the first was Craig Powell 26 years ago. And this organization wonder why we suck against the run regularly.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The last off ball LB the Browns drafted in the first was Craig Powell 26 years ago. And this organization wonder why we suck against the run regularly.

Correct, the Browns have historically treated LB with a lower level of value than even RBs.

I have no idea why, especially in the AFC North division,  and I wish somebody would ask this question in a press conference