College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well it never hurts to tell everyone how smart I am.

I mean, I’m sure they know, but reinforcement should help the slower ones get up to speed.

I’m just going to go ahead and call this a back handed complement for me 😇

• Like 2

And yeah, Oweh might be the 1st DE taken now. I hope he is, as I like 2-3 guys more than him. But I'd take Oweh over Ossai or Ojulari all day long.

Oweh vs. Basham might be the argument we have at pick #26, assuming Surtain/Horn/Farley are all off the board too.

My Wish List for Pick #26:

1. Gregory Rousseau DE---Inside-out versatility. Elite potential and great production.
2. Caleb Farley CB---Elite potential. If his injury isn't severe, Farley is a top 3 prospect IMO.
3. Patrick Surtain CB---Smooth cover man with no real holes to his game.
4. Jaelan Phillips DE---Has great hands. Aggressive run defender. Elite set of pass rush moves. Injury history.
5. Jaycee Horn CB---Has the prototypical build to lock down big X receivers. Has technical flaws.
6. Kwity Paye DE---Speed and power. Plays hard. Doesn't have great hand usage or pass rush plan.
7. Greg Newsome CB---Big, fast, instinctive, unafraid. Has every tool, but is oft-injured.
8. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah SLB---Not a major need for us with Harrison here, but the dude is legit elite.
9. Carlos Basham DE---A strong bull that dominates in the run game and wills his way to the QB. Not bendy.
10. Jayson Oweh DE---Freak athlete that plays hard. No technique yet, but seems like a hard worker willing to learn.
11. Jamin Davis WLB---Perfect scheme fit. Can diagnose quickly and get into passing lanes with ease.
12. Christian Barmore DT---Freak show skills at DT, but doesn't play hard outside of big moments.
13. Azeez Ojulari DE---A 1-trick pony. Elite bend and rip. Can't put his hand in the dirt against NFL OT's due to size.
14. Ifeatu Melifonwu CB---Physical tools to become elite. Great tackler. Lacks technique.
15. Asante Samuel CB---Limited to being a NCB. Small, but fierce. Quick and fast. Sticks to WR's in man and zone.
16. Zaven Collins SLB---Doesn't really fit here unless he's a sub rusher. Good at everything, but not elite anywhere.
17. Nick Bolton MLB---Prototypical thumping ILB. Could play MIKE or WILL. Best ILB instincts in run game and coverage.
18. Joseph Ossai DE---Speed rusher only. Plays hard, but has no technique yet. A less athletic version of Oweh.
19. Joe Tryon DE---Has a lot of physical tools, but doesn't seem to understand the game.

I would jump for joy getting Rousseau or Farley, even if it requires a trade up. I would be happy/content with #'s 1-16 in the 1st round.

Edited by LinebackerGod
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about this 40 time changes anything?  I think everyone knew he was a freak.

Yeah.....at 6'6" 1/2 257lbs......4.52 would make him a Freak

But a 4.36 (he's a step faster than Greedy Williams 4.37) makes him:

tenor.gif😄

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

True, but is he actually good at playing football or another Matt Jones or Vernon Gholston?

He is actually pretty good at football. Right now, he's more of a freak that can occasionally make plays, but it's not like he's Barkevious Mingo. He gets pressure on the QB frequently and understands how to control his gap in the run game. Where he needs refinement is in terms of building a pass rush plan. He only really utilizes the speed rush and isn't really good at bending yet despite showing that he actually can do it. He's extremely unpolished as a rusher, but he is a high effort guy with a ceiling somewhere out of this stratosphere. If we're gambling on someone late in round 1, he's a good bet.

I still don't like him more than my top 4 (Rousseau/Phillips/Paye/Basham), but he's in the same realm as the latter two. I view Rousseau and Philips as locks to be good (I know, I know...), whereas I like Paye's upside and Basham's floor. Oweh's upside is higher than Paye's, but he's further away from a fundamental standpoint.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LinebackerGod said:

He is actually pretty good at football. Right now, he's more of a freak that can occasionally make plays, but it's not like he's Barkevious Mingo. He gets pressure on the QB frequently and understands how to control his gap in the run game. Where he needs refinement is in terms of building a pass rush plan. He only really utilizes the speed rush and isn't really good at bending yet despite showing that he actually can do it. He's extremely unpolished as a rusher, but he is a high effort guy with a ceiling somewhere out of this stratosphere. If we're gambling on someone late in round 1, he's a good bet.

I still don't like him more than my top 4 (Rousseau/Phillips/Paye/Basham), but he's in the same realm as the latter two. I view Rousseau and Philips as locks to be good (I know, I know...), whereas I like Paye's upside and Basham's floor. Oweh's upside is higher than Paye's, but he's further away from a fundamental standpoint.

Nice breakdown

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

True, but is he actually good at playing football or another Matt Jones or Vernon Gholston?

Touche'.....I see....a lil Mike Mamula action is what your saying....

MikeMamula.JPG

(for some of our fans who may not have been around....he was the ORIGINAL "Workout Warrior")

• Like 2

Also Gil Brandt released his top 100 on the NFL web page last night.....he is blowing up some of my "Off the Radar Prospects"....since my very first mock, I have had us locked in on Wr Mike Strachan (Charleston WVA) who I havent seen on anybody's radar (maybe I was wrong) with our 6th or 7th round pick.....Not Now......Gill Brandt had him rated in his top 100.....Daminit!!!!

i-wouldve-gotten-away-with-it-too-if-it-

I think the Kid has Josh Gordon (minus the dope) potential....

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Yeah.....at 6'6" 1/2 257lbs......4.52 would make him a Freak

But a 4.36 (he's a step faster than Greedy Williams 4.37) makes him:

tenor.gif😄

Man I don’t trust pro day numbers. 

never have. 

It’s disappointing not to have the combine where we know the testing environment is equal throughout. 

• Like 1