What movie are you watching?

Forge

Civil War was great.  You follow a group of war photographers whose job is to get pictures during wars, battles, etc.  Kirsten Dunst is the one who has seen it all, and trains a new young woman who sees her as her idle.  This movie doesn't take a political side.  The photographers/journalists are just doing their job, and we experience what they do.  Theres no mention of how the war started, who's fighting who.  The battle scenes get somewhat tense.  The part with Jesse Plemons character is easily the most tense scene in the movie.  Absolutely worth seeing in the theater, but it has little rewatch value.  10/10

On 4/5/2024 at 12:52 PM, THE DUKE said:

screen-shot-2017-07-05-at-11-45-15-am.pn

Baby Driver

It was a little up and down with it's pacing and tone but overall this was pretty damn enjoyable. I'd definitely give it a watch again in the future for the driving scenes alone.

This movie is awesome.  I saw it opening night.  One of the few movies that after I saw, I wanted to buy a ticket for the next show.  One of the best opening scenes of a movie ever.   10/10

Night Swim.

Am I seriously watching a movie about a haunted swimming pool?

I feel like you could take the exact same dialogue and swap out Wyatt Earp with John C. Reilly and get comedy actors and actresses and this would be a great spoof movie with literally zero changes except for delivery of the dialogue.

It’s almost like this movie literally was written as an early M. Night Shyamalan spoof and some cracked out studio exec didn’t catch onto the subtext and turned it into a horror movie.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:54 PM, THE DUKE said:

lucy-liu-kill-bill-gif.gif

Quite possibly the coolest scene entrance in a movie in the 21st century

The use of music in that film is amazing, visuals are outstanding.  Really wish movies were made like this still.  

What about this entrance?  Well it is not really an entrance 😄

Diner 1982, absolutely outstanding move, was on TCM a little bit ago.  Absolute classic!

On 4/13/2024 at 4:49 PM, D82 said:

Just went and saw Monkey Man

Was really disappointing. I don't know if it was the theater screen or the movie itself, but the picture was really dark and low quality. The accents were so thick in some points you could barely understand what was being said, and in some parts they'd add subtitles to help but in other parts they were nonexistent. 

The action wasn't bad, but the camera work was so shaky half the time you couldn't tell what was going on. The story wasn't great either. I almost fell asleep at some points in the movie and contemplated walking out altogether. 

Saw it the other day, had a lot better view on it.

Think the visuals were just your theater, it’s not a peak visual marvel or anything but that wasn’t an issue seeing it at a good screening. That sucks though, my old theater would be awful with some of that stuff. There are some cool shots.

Action was pretty enjoyable, especially as the story grew. Which I didn’t realize would be the structure of it. Really enjoyed some of the tight editing and composition they used to layer them in the screen. Some cool techniques like using first person or pass throughs to put you in it. Far less of a ballet of fighting that Wick is. A little more loose and desperate I guess I’d describe it.

The dialogue being hard to hear is fair, though they could’ve almost just not done any dialogue and the story would still work ha.

Simple revenge tale, immersed in an interesting cultural spin to it that you don’t see a lot of outside of lighter Bollywood movies. Which is mostly what we get from there. 

I think most people who like rougher action films and/or Dev Patel will be happy with it. Peele getting on board helped get it a wide release but probably took away some of the zing it could’ve had as a cult action film.

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

What's the better Sorkin movie between A Few Good Men and The Social Network

Man, that's a tough one.  Performances?  A Few Good Men.  Everything else?  The Social Network.

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Man, that's a tough one.  Performances?  A Few Good Men.  Everything else?  The Social Network.

Want to agree but I might give the AFGM an edge in screenwriting, which would make it the better Sorkin movie, but at the same time, I think TSN is the better movie overall so IDK. I don't think anyone would be wrong to put one over the other.

Listening to a podcast where they're ranking Sorkin movies and these two rightfully came down to the top two, so many compelling arguments for either one.