What movie are you watching?

Forge

Road House remake was ok.  Jake Gyllenhaal was good.  Conner McGregor, you'll either like his character or hate it.  I thought he brought some energy the movie was lacking.  The villain was more of a spoiled rich kid.  He wasn't threatening or imposing.  Ok movie, original was a little better.  5/10

The Beekeeper was fun.  It's loud and dumb(what do you expect?) but it was a fun time.  One of Jason Statham better movies, as he goes after people who scam others out of their money.  If you like action movies of the 80s and 90s, with good action and lots of puns(especially bee puns) you'll have fun with this one.  7/10

Team America: World Police was another fun movie.  Puppet commandos fight the war on terrorism  With a new threat looming, they bring in an actor to infiltrate the terrorists for information.  Funny all through out.  Worth a watch once a year or two.  7/10  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Dolph Lundgren is ahead of Statham.

Pee Wee Herman was ahead of Statham

Statham is the worst action star of all the action stars.

The only people who like Jason Statham as an action star are retired men and kids who haven’t hit puberty.

Well that escalated quickly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

The only people who like Jason Statham as an action star are retired men and kids who haven’t hit puberty.

He was good in The Spy as a parody of hos characters

But hes more suited toward movies where hes in over hos head like Snatchh

• Like 3

Just now, Malfatron said:

He was good in The Spy as a parody of hos characters

But hes more suited toward movies where hes in over hos head like Snatchh

Snatchhh and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels are the only two movies I’ve ever liked him in.

Recently rewatched the beverly hills cop trilogy

Despite the weakest villain, BHC2 is my favorite largely because of tony scotts action influence. All of the key actors do really well and the scenes are done without many quick cuts. Practical squibs etc abound. By far the best one. Best soundtrack/score too. The comedy pieces last for a second and they dont dwell on it.

2nd is the original. Theres some good character stuff but it can fall into eddie doing character bits. Best villain. Takes a little bit to 

3rd is BHC3. Some fairly bad broad comedy (the fortune teller bit) although some bits are good (the bomb/delivery man bit). Better villain than 2.

I would say its a B level franchise and all in all, worth a watch. Its better than many action movies today because they dont do a bunch of quick cuts. Blood squibs, and windows actually break with gunshots and stuff.

Eddie, judge, robocop cop bad guy, moustache frowny face guy, and headstrong attractive (but not supermodel attractive) lady all do really well

BHC2: 7.6

BHC1: 6.5

BHC3: 6.0

7 hours ago, MacReady said:

Statham is a weird one in that it feels like he's one of the last remaining vestiges of the actual "Action Star".  Like, a guy who actually has his own specific vibe and style of fighting and tone that he carries with him wherever he goes.

I understand that he's not as iconic as those from the 90s...but who are the better, more iconic actual "Action Stars" today?  Who else is carrying that torch?

Thomas Cruise obviously, but he's a holdover and he's just got free license to do whatever the heck he wants these days until he gets bored and wants to retire, or dies doing a stunt i guess.  I love the guy.  But i see him as a precursor to Statham and not really comparable.  Who else is there that's any good right now?  And truly has a "brand" that's bigger than the films they're in?

On 3/21/2024 at 7:38 PM, MacReady said:

Streaming lies about their sound quality and I don’t care who says otherwise.

Also, don’t care how fast WiFi is, there’s a delay.

The only way to get true 5.1 is through physical media.

They’ll play the score in rear speakers, but nothing else.

I have a JBL 9.1 surround system and there is an extremely noticeable difference. The best Netflix or any other streaming can do is sometimes have explosions in the rear speakers. Same movie on physical media you’ll hear cars and helicopters and planes go from left to right as they’re going from left and right on screen.

It’s a completely different experience and I will not settle for streaming on any movie that deserves true surround.

And yes, True Lies was released a while back, but Cameron had to oversee a physical release and he’s said he’s been too busy to get to it.

Television is for losers.

The thing is though...what are you using to "stream" stuff?

Because not all streaming options operate the same way.  So if you've got an app or wireless casting option that can introduce all sorts of extra degradation in what they output, compared to just having it wired straight in (as you'd maybe do with a DVD/BluRay player).

Even wired straight in, most physical media players these days have different ways of detecting and optimizing and re-encoding things audio and visual even depending on which sort of connection you're using.  Upscaling and audio tinkering included.  Most streaming players and every app out there for SmartTVs has their own way of handling things.  Different TVs also handle things differently.  They'll default to different formats and add or bypass different things.  Have setting to advance or delay audio based on processing times for video, etc.

Add in external surround sound systems and it becomes a big question of how you're routing everything.  What is plugged in to what in which order, what is passthrough what is directly plugged in what is routed through other things. 

Plus fundamentally...if you want to turn a true Dolby5.1 signal into a 9.1 signal...there is adaptation happening.  It's inventing 4 channels basically.  If you want "Atmos" it's...inventing ceiling channels that may or may not even physically be there to broadcast from.  They are not the same.  Different systems will handle it differently and it can depend on the input they're getting.

Maybe you're an huge audiophile and acoustics expert and i'm just spouting beginner level stuff at you about this.  But your response didn't fully endorse that idea.  Audio is so much more complicated that just, "this blu ray disc has the best one".

If i'm completely honest, it really just sounds like you maybe really like the way that your BluRay playing device interprets that encoded signal to send to your sound system (however it's hooked up).  Based on the way you've got your room set up.

Which is why i asked what you use to watch crappy "streaming" content as a platform, compared to these physical discs.  And potentially...how these things are connected to your sound system.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, Fresh Prince said:

Road House remake wasn’t a bad film, I enjoyed it for was it was. Only two issues I had were the camera decisions during the fight scenes, and also needed to tone down Connor a little bit. It’s like they dialed up his personality to a 15, and just came off a bit goofy.

I thought the original was just much better all the way around.

This one was watchable, though.  I came away feeling like there will be another made.  It will have Dad as the Big Bad, along with Connor and Dalton is going to have to call in backup.

And we should see why he was pushed too hard in his UFC fight.

There were so many unanswered questions in this one, that there has to be another one.

I actually liked the camera's during the fight scenes.  

Like you, McGreggor was too much.  Too many big smiles.  Corny.

No real dating/love story like the first.  No friend to help out.  No homeowner to get attached to, no community coming to Dalton's aid.....etc.  

But...I had heard that Jake was in the running to be the new Batman.  I was watching it closely to see if he could pull off Bruce Wayne and Batman.  Came away thinking that Batman would be great.  Except for the voice.  The body is there.

Wayne would be okay, but again, I come back to the voice.  Jake's voice is just too high.  But that's just me.

So far as the new Roadhouse goes....it is worth a watch on Amazon for free, if you have the time to kill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Not a fan of Statham but John Cena is a zillion times worse. And he’s even more awful in comedies lol. 

Yeah.  Cena is one of the small handful of others that come to mind as being in that true "Action Star" mold...and he's pretty bad.

Though to be fair, he was well cast for the role of Peacemaker in The Suicide Squad i thought.  Though some of that didn't really come together as well until the spinoff show.  But his particular brand of big dumb idiot jock just happens to align perfectly with the role.

But yeah...there are just not very many real big name Action Stars anymore.  That carry their own signature style to every role.  The Rock is another one and he's also generally pretty terrible.  But mostly, it's all, "casting for the role" with bigger movies these days.  The guys who really specialize in Action Movies with a bit of a signature style tend to be confined to really bad low budget stuff, straight to streaming or whatever.  And don't ever build up nearly the same sort of "action star" persona.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Cena is one of the small handful of others that come to mind as being in that true "Action Star" mold...and he's pretty bad.

Though to be fair, he was well cast for the role of Peacemaker in The Suicide Squad i thought.  Though some of that didn't really come together as well until the spinoff show.  But his particular brand of big dumb idiot jock just happens to align perfectly with the role.

But yeah...there are just not very many real big name Action Stars anymore.  That carry their own signature style to every role.  The Rock is another one and he's also generally pretty terrible.  But mostly, it's all, "casting for the role" with bigger movies these days.  The guys who really specialize in Action Movies with a bit of a signature style tend to be confined to really bad low budget stuff, straight to streaming or whatever.  And don't ever build up nearly the same sort of "action star" persona.

Only action star I can think of now but he isn’t a big name is Scott Adkins.

christian_bale_14.jpg?w=600

3:10 to Yuma

I enjoy this movie, the performances are excellent, some great visuals, but the they needed a little more work on Ben Wade's motivations and it could have been an all timer.  Still very good regardless.