What movie are you watching?

Forge

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

It’s really not that good of a film. It just has a few scenes that are really over the top, that is giving it the buzz it needs.

The twist also is one of those that needs so many things lined up perfectly to work, which makes the plan in general so stupid that it actually worked.

ha ha..  that is funny.

Now I just may have to watch out of curiosity.

I was at my mom's house (she's 81) over the weekend, and I had logged into my Max account on her Roku.  She's a big fan of "True Crime" stuff (seldom NOT reading a mystery of some sort).  Showed her all of the true crime stuff available on the ID network.  Certainly piqued her interest.  

We then flipped through the offerings on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).  Scrolled through until one caught her eye.  

She asked me what Se7en was.  Gulp.  I told her it was a murder mystery.  An intense one.  She told me she was up for watching it.  So we did. 

Now this is someone that for my 6 decades on the planet always got up to "go make tea" whenever something tawdry or scary was on TV.  She was glued to this....(she's a big Morgan Freeman fan).

The one "jump scare" startled her.  (I spoke with a friend who lives in LA, that I met thru Australian Rules Football, and he works in the tv/movie business.  He told me that he had a friend who was on the crew for Se7en, and that they didn't tell John C. McGinley that the Sloth victim would "jump" up from the bed.  He truly got a scare there.)

When the delivery guy showed up, she correctly "called" what was happening at the end of the film.  I was so darned impressed.  My sister was mortified, as she thought it was going to traumatize her.  

Yesterday, she asked me about "Silence of the Lambs".  I told her that it was even more intense than Se7en.  She said that maybe she should take a short break from that sort of excitement.  (She's made it 2 episodes into Breaking Bad.  Krazy-8 has been locked to that post for several months now.  We've got to resolve his issues soon.  ;)

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I was at my mom's house (she's 81) over the weekend, and I had logged into my Max account on her Roku.  She's a big fan of "True Crime" stuff (seldom NOT reading a mystery of some sort).  Showed her all of the true crime stuff available on the ID network.  Certainly piqued her interest.  

We then flipped through the offerings on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).  Scrolled through until one caught her eye.  

She asked me what Se7en was.  Gulp.  I told her it was a murder mystery.  An intense one.  She told me she was up for watching it.  So we did. 

Now this is someone that for my 6 decades on the planet always got up to "go make tea" whenever something tawdry or scary was on TV.  She was glued to this....(she's a big Morgan Freeman fan).

The one "jump scare" startled her.

When the delivery guy showed up, she correctly "called" what was happening at the end of the film.  I was so darned impressed.  My sister was mortified, as she thought it was going to traumatize her.  

Yesterday, she asked me about "Silence of the Lambs".  I told her that it was even more intense than Se7en.  She said that maybe she should take a short break from that sort of excitement.  (She's made it 2 episodes into Breaking Bad.  Krazy-8 has been locked to that post for several months now.  We've got to resolve his issues soon.  ;)

She may like Zodiac too

• Like 5

Annette-DVD.webp

this is really good. generally turned off by musicals or just haven't really dove into the genre enough to find ones i've enjoyed, but this was perfect. so ambitious and so filled with pathos and excitement. haven't rewatched a movie three times in the same week since i first watched synechdoche new york like two years ago

Dune 2 - it was good, don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of the praise is hyperbolic at this point. I don't know if people are being spellbound by the visuals (and indeed, it looks great) but I've seen this called the Star Wars/Dark Knight etc of the current generation. I just don't see that. When you break down the scenes to what's happening on the page, I'm not sure what's so fantastic beyond the aesthetics. I don't see the iconic quotes that'll live on for decades. A movie can be really good, which this was - but comparing it to Empire Strikes Back/Lord of the Rings/The Dark Knight is just going too far for me.

• Like 1