What movie are you watching?

Forge

20 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Monty python and holy grail

I dont really like it. Its basically a skit show

The constitutional peasants scene is one of the funniest bits I've ever seen in a movie. 

15 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Out of all the comedy titans that dominated the late 90s and 2000s, I think Ben Stiller's work has aged the best.

I've just never found him all that funny. I think he has some good flicks where he's the fairly normal person / straight guy and someone else carries the comedy load, or he's put in some funny situations, but never really loved him in a straight up comedy role. 

• Like 1

Went to see Out of Darkness in theaters last night. 

The first ~50-60mins of it were amazing and was one of the tensest movie experiences i’ve had in years.

The last ~20-30mins fell really flat imo and kind of killed the awesome first 2/3rds of the movie.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Count me as one that never got the appeal of Monty Python. A couple funny bits, but most of it largely over rated.

This thread is good. I thought I just didn't get it, I never liked it. 

On 2/10/2024 at 10:56 PM, DreamKid said:

Out of all the comedy titans that dominated the late 90s and 2000s, I think Ben Stiller's work has aged the best.

Most children's live actions movies from that era didn't age well but one that stands out to me and holds up stars Ben Stiller. Heavyweights is still great. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 12:34 PM, Forge said:

I've just never found him all that funny. I think he has some good flicks where he's the fairly normal person / straight guy and someone else carries the comedy load, or he's put in some funny situations, but never really loved him in a straight up comedy role

Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Dodgeball, Tropic Thunder, etc. Those are the ones I can think of where he wasn't in the straight man role and overall I think they're pretty strong offerings when weighed against the field at that time. You are right though, in his straight up best films he isn't so over the top. My favorites are when he starts off more level headed and gets crazier as the plot moves like in There's Something About Mary or Meet the Parents. 

8 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Most children's live actions movies from that era didn't age well but one that stands out to me and holds up stars Ben Stiller. Heavyweights is still great. 

That movie is hilarious, and definitely laid the groundwork for his character in Dodgeball.

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Dodgeball, Tropic Thunder, etc. Those are the ones I can think of where he wasn't in the straight man role and overall I think they're pretty strong offerings when weighed against the field at that time. You are right though, in his straight up best films he isn't so over the top. My favorites are when he starts off more level headed and gets crazier as the plot moves like in There's Something About Mary or Meet the Parents. 

So I'm going to probably get a lot of hate, but I Think Zoolander is awful lol. 

I didn't think he was funny at all in Dodgeball and I enjoy that movie solely for the others. I didn't think he was funny in Tropic Thunder, though I do enjoy that movie for the others. 

Starsky and Hutch I probably haven't seen in 20 years. Didn't make an impact I guess lol

But I Do like Keeping the Faith, There's something about mary, meet the parents where he's fairly normal in a weird situation. 

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't think he was funny at all in Dodgeball and I enjoy that movie solely for the others. 

I tried rewatching that over the holidays and man... it was like 90 mins of Christine Taylor's character being sexually harassed.  

7 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I tried rewatching that over the holidays and man... it was like 90 mins of Christine Taylor's character being sexually harassed.  

Different time. I try to account for that. Going back and watching early 2000's comedies will also give you some crazy whiplash from gay joke double takes, tbh

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So I'm going to probably get a lot of hate, but I Think Zoolander is awful lol. 

I don't think you will, tbf most comedies of that era are hit or miss depending on the person. In general comedy is a hard genre to nail and a majority of the time the movies don't age well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I still lmao every time i watch Austin Powers but i’m sure if my HS students watched it they wouldn’t crack a smile 😂

Comedy is so fleeting 

I don’t remember a time I laughed harder than the first time I watched the silhouette scene in I think Goldmember with my dad. We were both laughing so hard we were crying. I’ll cherish that memory for the rest of my life.

• Like 2