The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The man is just plain dominant when on the field but he has missed to much time.  He needs to get healthy and stay healthy.  His pay is $14 million next year but with zero dead money he needs to prove it this year.

Just realized we could shave over $100 million of the cap next year with close to zero dead money.  Year 3 really is a make or break year for a lot of players.

And this is why you should never give non-cornerstone players year 2 guaranteed money (yes im talking about Joyner and Nassib)

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

WTF are these silly PFF stats? Nonsense is what it looks like to me and very subjective.

Carr managed the offense, down and distance really well, looked after the ball while playing within the confines of the system and his quick release and good decision making played a major part in the OL success of course.

He played exactly as he should with the limited off season, having a 3rd choice right tackle in there and of course, missing Williams and having Ruggs get injured so not overly relying on the rookie Edwards.  If people are going to criticise Carr after that game then I doubt their impartiality or sanity frankly.

We got the win but I want to see if he raises his play against better competition.  Sunday he was a game manager and he did a good job of it.  If we want to make the playoffs he is going to need to be better than a game manager.  Now as far as the stats are concerned I would not worry about PFF if he passes the eye test.  I like looking at those type of stats when the aggregate stats and the eyeball test tell different stories.  I am not going to be mad if he did not throw for 5 TDs and 400 yards when he did not need to.  Carolina could not stop Jacobs so you ride the hot hand to victory.  When they start stacking the box to stop Jacobs is when I will start to judge Carr.  Its only week 1 but our D giving up 30 to Carolina scares me.  Could be a shootout next Monday with the Saints.  Just saw Thomas might be out on Monday so that might help us a little.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

We got the win but I want to see if he raises his play against better competition.  Sunday he was a game manager and he did a good job of it.  If we want to make the playoffs he is going to need to be better than a game manager.  Now as far as the stats are concerned I would not worry about PFF if he passes the eye test.  I like looking at those type of stats when the aggregate stats and the eyeball test tell different stories.  I am not going to be mad if he did not throw for 5 TDs and 400 yards when he did not need to.  Carolina could not stop Jacobs so you ride the hot hand to victory.  When they start stacking the box to stop Jacobs is when I will start to judge Carr.  Its only week 1 but our D giving up 30 to Carolina scares me.  Could be a shootout next Monday with the Saints.  Just saw Thomas might be out on Monday so that might help us a little.

They also couldnt stack the box, because Carr showed that the deep threat was there. 

2nd play of game was a close bomb to ruggs, couldve been a PI easily depending on refs, close enough that the D respects the possibility IMO.
then hit Ruggs deep 
and then nelson TD. 

I agree, that Jacobs was our star of the game and that Carr was 'just' the game manager. However that is exactly what you want your QB to do. 
I disagree he needs to be better than a game manager to make the playoffs. Sundays performance is the exact O gruden wants to run. 
Carr will take some deep attempts to keep the D honest, but, our O is about consistency and setting up the down and distance. 

With Jacobs running on 1st and or 2nd down, our 3rd down to go distance, is going to be 5 or less often, and when that is the case, expect Carr to look for the 5 yard pass. It isnt going to lead to sexy numbers, but as long as he can convert them, he will be doing his job. He was 4/8 on 3rd down. I believe 1 was 21 yards which I hope we can all agree is a long shot. 1 was a designed quick pass to Witten near the endzone, (dumb call not sure if Carr or Gruden) that were both caught. The other 2 I cant really remember but I think both were to Waller, one on the opening drive and the other the D player made a pretty good play on the ball on a 3rd and 10. Carr did well on 3rd down, which means he played well. 

I also believe Gruden is trying to make the games shorter for our D, so focus on running ball and high percentage passes. 

I think a lot of the hate for Carr is just misunderstanding / hate for the O gruden wants to run ahah

• Like 2

What is depreciating?!? The fanbase here. We're so hypercritical of everything in a season we are lucky to be even having!!! We are attacking each other for k-rap that was last season and beyond. STFU!!! This is a discussion board, not your Fing therapist couch where you dump all your garbage from whatever 'drama' were all going through in 2020. just STFU!!! Enjoy something for God's sake. We got a WIN!!! You'd think we'd have a day of enjoyment but NOOOOO...

Last season this team and our young players were hot and cold. Did we have a normal off season?!? Did we have a pre-season?!? Did we not have what many who watched (other than us) say it was the BEST game to watch as far as an entertaining football game?!? I keep hearing that from the TV people and WE WON THAT GAME!!!

Yet here we are broken clocks chirping those 2 times a day when we are right and you are wrong. We're all broken so were all right and wrong but we can't seem to STFU about it!!!   AAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!   LOL

I think we all see what this team can and could be. We could have put the foot down and made a statement and that would probably have us all still drunk/high off of whatever endorphins cocktail one desires or naturally occurs in the noggin. We WILL have games where we play better. Our young players will show more growth and regression as THEY ARE YOUNG! We are moving in the right direction even with all the mistakes with FA/draft/etc...We will have injuries and we probably won't have a full season because people will get sick and optics could also play a role as could anything else we've seen in 2020. With that said...I don't want any of you to STFU, I enjoy yelling STFU and laffing at what losing does to a fanbase like ours. I APPRECIATE we have football this season. I appreciate we have a team that could compete if things work out right. I appreciate you all for your passion for a team/sport that we all love. I'll still complain this season and I'ma natural mismatcher so I'll probably argue the other side of something just to get a point across. However/'but' I will also remember to APPRECIATE things because it just makes me feel grateful and enjoy life a little bit more rather than some of the many, many not so positive/productive things that I'd like to do when I go to dark places. Nothing wrong with dark places but know it's not a good place to stay. 

OK my rant is done, who would like the couch now?   🤪

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

They also couldnt stack the box, because Carr showed that the deep threat was there. 

2nd play of game was a close bomb to ruggs, couldve been a PI easily depending on refs, close enough that the D respects the possibility IMO.
then hit Ruggs deep 
and then nelson TD. 

I agree, that Jacobs was our star of the game and that Carr was 'just' the game manager. However that is exactly what you want your QB to do. 
I disagree he needs to be better than a game manager to make the playoffs. Sundays performance is the exact O gruden wants to run. 
Carr will take some deep attempts to keep the D honest, but, our O is about consistency and setting up the down and distance. 

With Jacobs running on 1st and or 2nd down, our 3rd down to go distance, is going to be 5 or less often, and when that is the case, expect Carr to look for the 5 yard pass. It isnt going to lead to sexy numbers, but as long as he can convert them, he will be doing his job. He was 4/8 on 3rd down. I believe 1 was 21 yards which I hope we can all agree is a long shot. 1 was a designed quick pass to Witten near the endzone, (dumb call not sure if Carr or Gruden) that were both caught. The other 2 I cant really remember but I think both were to Waller, one on the opening drive and the other the D player made a pretty good play on the ball on a 3rd and 10. Carr did well on 3rd down, which means he played well. 

I also believe Gruden is trying to make the games shorter for our D, so focus on running ball and high percentage passes. 

I think a lot of the hate for Carr is just misunderstanding / hate for the O gruden wants to run ahah

I would put more blame on Gruden if Carr performed well in 2017.  I still have to put a lot of that on the coaches.  As far as being a playoff team I still stick to my statement that he needs to be better to make it.  Carolina might be picking in the top ten again this year and they are definitely not as good now as they well be at the end of the year.  A team with that many new pieces and no off-season would never play up to their ability week one.  That was a good week 1 match up for us to get back into it but when we play the better teams we will have a very hard time if Carr produces those type of numbers.

I was calling for the bomb to Ruggs on the first play but I will settle for the 2nd.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

then hit Ruggs deep 
and then nelson TD. 

2017 would like a word with you. 2017 and 2018 were definitely his worst years, and we are talking horrible. Not below average but horrible. Last year he played better but not still not good enough. 

Plus Carr has always been somewhat conservative by nature, even in 2015/2016. He just let loose like a cannon the 4th but was usually pretty conservative most of the game. 

People bashing Carr lol. Bash gruden... he’s runs a slow paced offense, maybe the slowest pace offense in the NFL. He wants to take it back to 1998 or whatever and play smash mouth running the ball. Plus we were starter two rookie wideouts, one of which was injured. We still scored over 30 without any turnovers like always. Yet the DC haters still starting to talk 😂 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

People bashing Carr lol. Bash gruden... he’s runs a slow paced offense, maybe the slowest pace offense in the NFL. He wants to take it back to 1998 or whatever and play smash mouth running the ball. Plus we were starter two rookie wideouts, one of which was injured. We still scored over 30 without any turnovers like always. Yet the DC haters still starting to talk 😂 

We are not trying to just bash Carr.  We are saying he played bad before Gruden got here so you can not put all the blame on Gruden.  I completely understand the Gruden argument though.  I like Carr the most when we play uptempo no huddle.  He is at his best when he is not thinking because his mental abilities slow him down.  He tries to be Tom Brady but he does not have the processing speed.  That is why he was so clutch in 2016.  4 minutes left in the game and we are down 4 we would score in under 2 minutes.  I could not figure out why we always waited until the 4th to start.  It is also why I would yell at my TV almost every week to not score so quickly and our defense would have to close it out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Oh, I agree. It was important to tailor the offense this game as we had Williams out, Ruggs got nicked up and Edwards is if course a rookie too so playing to Jacobs and the TEs was very sensible. We had a plan, executed it really well and probably thought our D would have done a bit better job. We looked organised for once and on the same page. Good foundation to build off but as you say we'll need to step it up again. Hopefully there will be a natural progression as the receivers gain experience and comfort too.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We are not trying to just bash Carr.  We are saying he played bad before Gruden got here so you can not put all the blame on Gruden.  I completely understand the Gruden argument though.  I like Carr the most when we play uptempo no huddle.  He is at his best when he is not thinking because his mental abilities slow him down.  He tries to be Tom Brady but he does not have the processing speed.  That is why he was so clutch in 2016.  4 minutes left in the game and we are down 4 we would score in under 2 minutes.  I could not figure out why we always waited until the 4th to start.  It is also why I would yell at my TV almost every week to not score so quickly and our defense would have to close it out.

I do wish we played faster tempo and more no huddle. Back in the day, Gannon was the master of the no huddle. Surprised Gruden doesn’t bring it back...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I agree. It was important to tailor the offense this game as we had Williams out, Ruggs got nicked up and Edwards is if course a rookie too so playing to Jacobs and the TEs was very sensible. We had a plan, executed it really well and probably thought our D would have done a bit better job. We looked organised for once and on the same page. Good foundation to build off but as you say we'll need to step it up again. Hopefully there will be a natural progression as the receivers gain experience and comfort too.  

Completely agree with your post.

34 Points.  We executed our game plan as best possible.  We won.  No idea how anyone can complain about the talent of any position on offense.  Carr got us into the red zone.  Jacobs got us across the line.  We did exactly what we set out to do.  Win. 

• Like 3

this what yall got to say after a win? Id hate to be around after a loss, i mean damn!!! You know the Panthers have NFL caliber players too right? You can take teams lightly all you want but its still Any Given Sunday and we just so happen to be 1 of 16 teams with a zero in the L column. 

Were notoriously bad in morning games on the East Coast, yet we put up 34 points, with 2 rookie WRs starting and Ruggs getting hurt in the 2nd quarter(who was on pace for a big debut). The game plan changed a bit once Ruggs went down but we were taking shots early, which gave Jacobs additional running room. We are a run first team and Carr doesnt allow teams to stack the box. DC operated Gruden's offense efficiently and effectively. We took care of the ball and kept the clock running. All yall complaining about the defense, well guess what? Our offense did what they had to do to to not only put up points but also keep the defense off the field. Do you really want to get into shootouts every week? Gruden runs a ball control styled offense meant to go on long clock eating drives and thats just what we did. Since yall love stats so much, after turnovers(which we had 0) Time of Possession is one of the biggest factors in deciding games, and we won that battle also. Its not flashy but it got us the W.

Again, WE SCORED 34 POINTS and got a WIN, and guys want to nitpick some bogus stats, GTFOH! I know most of yall wanted Carr gone, and want him to prove yourself right but ill enjoy this W, and get ready for Monday night! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Didn't Carr have another 4th quarter come back to win the game???

• Like 1