GDT 9/20/20 Week 2: 1-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-1 Houston Texans

DreamKid

I would be pretty shocked if someone off the streets was brought in for a real role. Most likely outcome is Young going on IR and Richards being brought up to the active roster. Hopefully the end result is getting Jimmy more time at corner. Elliot seems to be pretty solid thus far, I'm fine with rolling the dice in that situation. 

Really huge bummer about Tavon, but it seems like at this point that's going to be it for his Ravens career. At least he got a big signing bonus before it all went to crap health-wise.

Weird thing about the game is that it was a comfortable win against a pretty solid opponent on the road... and yet it doesn't actually feel like we played all that well. Definitely have to be sharper on both sides of the ball next week when Mahomes comes to town. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

I would be pretty shocked if someone off the streets was brought in for a real role. Most likely outcome is Young going on IR and Richards being brought up to the active roster. Hopefully the end result is getting Jimmy more time at corner. Elliot seems to be pretty solid thus far, I'm fine with rolling the dice in that situation. 

Disagree.

Jimmy Smith is a great boundary corner, but his play inside covering TEs was really good. Also the lower snap count made him less likely to catch an injury. That and Humphrey on the boundary is legit All Pro level... inside, he’s fringe AP.

A capable corner that can man the slot against WRs would do far more for this defense.

Even if we only add a veteran initially to the practice squad to get them up to speed before relying on them... we almost have to do it, another injury would implode the secondary. Just imagine if Jimmy goes down (which, I mean...) than who would we be relying on at corner? Anthony Levine?

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Really huge bummer about Tavon, but it seems like at this point that's going to be it for his Ravens career. At least he got a big signing bonus before it all went to crap health-wise.

Weird thing about the game is that it was a comfortable win against a pretty solid opponent on the road... and yet it doesn't actually feel like we played all that well. Definitely have to be sharper on both sides of the ball next week when Mahomes comes to town. 

O line needs to clean it up. We're a little spoiled as fans right now. I feel the same way though. Big picture? We played well but there's a lot to clean up. Glad to see Boykin step up tonight though. 

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Disagree.

Jimmy Smith is a great boundary corner, but his play inside covering TEs was really good. Also the lower snap count made him less likely to catch an injury. That and Humphrey on the boundary is legit All Pro level... inside, he’s fringe AP.

A capable corner that can man the slot against WRs would do far more for this defense.

Even if we only add a veteran initially to the practice squad to get them up to speed before relying on them... we almost have to do it, another injury would implode the secondary. Just imagine if Jimmy goes down (which, I mean...) than who would we be relying on at corner? Anthony Levine?

The team is already relying on Averett at corner. I'm not optimistic that anybody brought in as a free agent would be any better and we're already seeing what a soft spot in the defense he presents regardless of the quality play around him. Shuffling Jimmy around obviously has it's negatives and I don't disagree with those you've outlined but I'd rather see hole covered up and not be scared of what-if situations. 

Either that or they need to figure out how to hide Averett out there. Not sure it can be done though. 

2 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

The team is already relying on Averett at corner. I'm not optimistic that anybody brought in as a free agent would be any better and we're already seeing what a soft spot in the defense he presents regardless of the quality play around him. Shuffling Jimmy around obviously has it's negatives and I don't disagree with those you've outlined but I'd rather see hole covered up and not be scared of what-if situations. 

Either that or they need to figure out how to hide Averett out there. Not sure it can be done though. 

Any options for trade out there? I'm trying to can teams to figure it out 

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Right now the Ravens have a total of 5 corners on the team, including the PS. So even if Khalil Dorsey is a beast and we just haven’t heard much from him in training camp, we still need another corner for depth. But especially if he’s not, this is the time to add a corner. We have the cap space and we now have the opportunity for a veteran to make a play at field time.

It made sense that free agents wouldn’t want to sign with us when our top 4 corners consisted of Humphrey, Peters, Smith, and Young... but now there’s a good opportunity for a guy to come in and make an impact. I’d be shocked if the Ravens don’t try out a corner very early this week and add them to the PS. I doubt it helps by the time we see KC, but beyond that it’ll be absolutely critical to bring in some more corner talent.

8 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Any options for trade out there? I'm trying to can teams to figure it out 

Would have to imagine that this early in the season no team is going to be willing to trade someone in such a pivotal position as corner, not unless there’s an overpay involved. Hopefully we just dip into UFA talents and see if we can answer questions about the position prior to going that route... not unless a truly sweet deal walks our way (which with EDC in play, I won’t completely rule that strategy out of bounds, but still).

No Pro bowl corners available for a 5th this season? 🤓

Seriousness, this injury blows. You could really tell the way our defense meshed with him out there in the slot. Sucks to wonder if this is the end of his tenure. Prayers for a quick recovery. Can’t imagine his mindset, but respect his strength as he’s done this multiple times already 

• Like 1

Yeah that really sucks about Tavon.

Also we didn’t look great today but somehow won by 17. We need to kick it into gear. Seems like - especially in the first half - we were way too pass happy. Was kindve what i was worried about this offseason...don’t drastically change an offensive approach that led us to 14-2 last season. Glad they got back to the run game in the 2nd half.

Damn, feel bad for the young bull Tavon Young. Do have a few takeaways from the game.

• O-line still shaky to me
  • In spite of the hurries and sacks, Texans WRs had big days
  • No turnovers! Always love to see it
  • 3rd downs looked shaky, but we bound back

I think next week will be the real first test for the Ravens. Chiefs have left a lot to be desired to be fair, but you're going up against arguably the best QB in the league again. I think we'll finally get it done at home, but we need to tighten up some things.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

FIFY. 😂

But seriously I think I’m going to nickname Averrett, Mr. First Down, as he’s literally a walking 1st down for an opposing offense.

Absolutely correct. 😂

I hope we see less of him on Monday Night because I think we'll be in serious trouble if he has a ton of playing time. God help us. 

• Like 1