GDT 9/20/20 Week 2: 1-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-1 Houston Texans

DreamKid

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Absolutely correct. 😂

I hope we see less of him on Monday Night because I think we'll be in serious trouble if he has a ton of playing time. God help us. 

I have little hope for this upcoming game on that front.

Lamar and the offense will have to go off next game for us to have a chance. I have little faith in Averrett not holding back the defense. The only other hope is for Campbell to sway Mahomes passes on the regular to prevent those Averrett targets from reaching their destination. 

I am going to watch what the Chargers did, because they seem to have the number on the Chiefs.

We have not impressed for two games straight, although the defense showed up this time - but I also expected them to. There was some hero ball from Watson - which both lead to big plays and also buried the Texans on some drives. He is a good QB, but I saw a couple of times him looking at the rush more than the receivers running open and we "got lucky" a couple of times as he never got throws of when we were beat deep.

We capitalized big time on the turnovers from the Texans, the LJ fort TD, the stop on 4 and 1 and the pick by Peters. I never got the feeling we had rythm on offense till the 4th quarter.

That might change once I see the game again

For the life of me I couldn’t find a bar showing this game so am watching the Sunday Ticket shortened version now. OL still wasn’t great but I feel like Lamars pocket presence was also bad as well today. Seemed off on some of his runs as well.  Need some quick slants and curls going forward and more passes to the RBs. 

4th quarter first drive looked better. All in all we won by double digits on the road against a top 10 qb. Next Monday!

Edited by M.10.E

It was a meh game from Lamar, one of his worst since our regular season win streak started. Luckily a meh game from Lamar can still net you a positive day on offense. He acknowledged the TD miss to Hollywood himself, but I also thought he lacked some decisiveness as runner too. Roman compounded the issue with his own forgettable performance. 

The Texans' defense isn't talented enough to where it's acceptable to have quiet days from so many of our stars on offense, like we did. Big improvements will be needed when facing the Chiefs.

Except for the penalty last week, it legit doesn't seem like Matt Judon is on this team lol.......

I'm happy we're rotating our OLBs so much now, but my god does Judon seem non existent. I think he's got the current highest cap hit on the entire team too.

Weirdly, he's managed to have his moments against Mitchell Schwartz RT for the Chiefs in the past. So hopefully next weeks game can be a kick starter for him or something. Cause while I didn't expect him to take some big leap or actually become the player we want/need, I also didn't anticipate what we are getting from him....Which is crickets. 

• Like 1

I think I mention it in almost every Judon argument, but he just doesn't win his 1on1 matchups against offensive linemen - especially tackles. He is a scheme pressure guy who gets sacks due to the scheme and by winning matchups against tight ends. He drops in coverage a lot which can be a reason why he is less productive as a pass rusher in terms of sacks and hurries, but if he rushed the passer more, he would have less value due to the fact that he doesn't beat tackles.

He is a good to great outside linebacker, but he is not a good pass rusher - if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

but he just doesn't win his 1on1 matchups against offensive linemen - especially tackles.

His pass rush move set as a rookie is essentially the same as it is now. If his speed rush fails(as it often does), then that's it. He plays patty cake with the Tackle and if the QB breaks the pocket Judon uses his strong acceleration to get coverage pressures. Frequent RTP penalties too, as he's constantly chasing the late QBH. 

Judon doesn't have the natural bend to dip around tackles early within the arc, or the raw strength/power to shorten the arc. Stack that with his barren toolbox, and you're left with a player who possesses few ways to win. 

He's weak against the run and more of a body in coverage than any true asset. Our scheme and coverage unit lets him rack up numbers as Dan points out, unblocked, against TEs, or late. 

IMO, it's almost like he's a MLB trapped in an End's body. A much less athletic Jamie Collins maybe? He's a smart player with strong north-south burst who can really disrupt a play if kept clean, but has just struggled mightily to turn himself into any kind of real pass rusher.

I did think Judon has some gas tank issues too, which is why I'm surprised he's even quieter now on what seems like a reduced snap count.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And not to mention Judon had at least 2-3 instances yesterday where he could've sacked Watson but whiffed on the tackle or took bad angles on him.

In fairness to Judon, that was almost all of our guys. I mean Ward was essentially growing on Watson and couldn't ground him.

Very frustrating to watch. 

Just now, DreamKid said:

In fairness to Judon, that was almost all of our guys. I mean Ward was essentially growing on Watson and couldn't ground him.

Very frustrating to watch. 

Yeah but Ward is a rotational DE. Judon is supposedly your "franchise" pass rusher. Huge difference, but also kinda makes my point - he just looks like "another guy" out there on the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah but Ward is a rotational DE. Judon is supposedly your "franchise" pass rusher. Huge difference, but also kinda makes my point - he just looks like "another guy" out there on the field.

Don't disagree. This Judon situation became exactly what we all feared years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, berlin calling said:

Judon is also a former 5th round pick. 

I get it he plays on the tag and is probably overpaid but thats not his fault is it. 

At this point in his career, what does this have to do with anything? Your draft status pretty much means nothing past the first couple of years. Judon is a vet at this point, and the fact that he can't separate himself for your average JAGs but wants to be paid a premium is not a good combination.