Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Steelers. While this is impressive, you can't forget they've played far and away the easiest schedule in the NFL, don't try to convince me the Bills are a legit 3-0 team before yesterday.

they did this in every game and half for the last 10 games except for the 2nd half at KC. But we'll have to wait a couple of weeks before the Patriots play a good QB. In the meantime opponent adjusted DVOA is a good metric.

2 minutes ago, 24isthelaw said:

For sure. They're far more likely to be merely good, than historic.

But what makes the Pats defense interesting isn't just the bottom line, it's how they're going about it. 2-4-5 hybrid defense with 2-gap principles, built from the secondary forward instead of the other way around, full of veterans. I think what you're seeing is the counter to the spread offense concepts and RPO.

Reading between the lines, NFL defenses have gotten simpler and more predictable in the name of playing faster. And they've gotten younger/more reliant on UDFAs and rookie scale guys because of moneyball-style roster management. Both of these trends appear to have made the NFL's defenses vulnerable to tricky spread concepts, which is why offenses were so far ahead of defenses last season. I think the dominant stretch the Pats defense has been on is instructive on how to counter that.

2-4-5 to me just sounds like a 4-3 Nickel Package with the EDGE rushers standing up.

1 hour ago, Howler said:

Notice that after Frazier put Levi Wallace on James White in obvious play design roles, the matchup advantage disappeared. The Bills have the personnel to completely shut the patriots down, which is a rarity these days. 

At this point I think the game at Buffalo might have been NE's toughest of the year (not saying they will win all games, they won't and the Bills didn't play well on offense, but I'd rather play the Chiefs at home than at Buffalo I think)

They do have good personnel but McDaniels not being able to counter anything what BUF threw at him and the NE OL being a mess had a lot to do with this. 

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Cherry picker

It's dating back to the Bears game last year. Cherry picking is like you where you discount a specific time amongst a specific window. 

If I was Cherry Picking I would have listed his stats since that Bears game excluding the 49ers week 17 game (the stats for that are notably worse) Also, keep in mind this is an 11 game stat sampling, no small thing.
261/433 (60.2%) - 2908 yards (6.72 YPA) - 9 TD:14 INT - 73.7 Passer Rating

Listing stats from a specific point to present isn't cherry picking, it's noting a trend. It's akin to saying Dak's stats since acquiring Amari Cooper are: [insert stats here] (Don't actually I'm aware)

Edited by Danger

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's dating back to the Bears game last year. Cherry picking is like you where you discount a specific time amongst a specific window. 

If I was Cherry Picking I would have listed his stats since that Bears game excluding the 49ers week 17 game (the stats for that are notably worse)
261/433 (60.2%) - 2908 yards (6.72 YPA) - 9 TD:14 INT - 73.7 Passer Rating

Listing stats from a specific point to present isn't cherry picking, it's noting a trend. It's akin to saying Dak's stats since acquiring Amari Cooper are: [insert stats here] (Don't actually I'm aware)

It was a joke. @jrry32 went on a diatribe one night that I was cherry picking Goff stats because I quoted the previous 16 games. He then went on and on that if I was going to quote the previous 16 games, that he should be able to take Goffs worst games out of that as well. 

He then told me that he crushed me in an argument and called me a cherry picker. I was simply trying to show that Goff has trended down over a significant sample size. 

It was pretty sad. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It was a joke. @jrry32 went on a diatribe one night that I was cherry picking Goff stats because I quoted the previous 16 games. He then went on and on that if I was going to quote the previous 16 games, that he should be able to take Goffs worst games out of that as well. 

He then told me that he crushed me in an argument and called me a cherry picker. I was simply trying to show that Goff has trended down over a significant sample size. 

It was pretty sad. 

No, using (Insert Date) to present is never cherry picking, unless there is a huge barrage of injuries all happening at once which would lead to an expected drop off in performance. Goff's falloff seems to be due to his inability to adapt, it's actually rather concerning that Goff despite having that offseason to turn things back around and all those months, and that new contract, hasn't been able to get over whatever it is schematically that is just giving him fits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It was pretty sad. 

I'm pretty sure that when you did that you did the previous 15 games with the 16th game being the Vikings game which was one of the best statistical performances a QB has ever had. 

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

No, using (Insert Date) to present is never cherry picking, unless there is a huge barrage of injuries all happening at once which would lead to an expected drop off in performance. Goff's falloff seems to be due to his inability to adapt, it's actually rather concerning that Goff despite having that offseason to turn things back around and all those months, and that new contract, hasn't been able to get over whatever it is schematically that is just giving him fits.

The fallout this year is a Goff/offensive line issue. Neither has played well enough to consistently move the ball without committing a drive killing penalty, turnover, or sack. And since we haven't established the run since week 1, we've had to throw it a ton.

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm pretty sure that when you did that you did the previous 15 games with the 16th game being the Vikings game which was one of the best statistical performances a QB has ever had. 

No? I am 99% sure I did 16 games. 

But even if I did, it would still prove that my point that starting at a certain point, Goff has trended down for a long period of time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No? I am 99% sure I did 16 games. 

But even if I did, it would still prove that my point that starting at a certain point, Goff has trended down for a long period of time.

I could be wrong. I thought it was 15 because that was the 12 games post the Vikings game and then 3 playoff games. Unless you did that after week 1 but I seem to remember that was preseason.

I'd still consider it cherry picking. Why not use 16 to make the #s easy to understand for a full season? It would be like if I looked at Dak's #s and only said based on weeks 2-4 he is trending down. 

Edited by LeotheLion

Just now, LeotheLion said:

I could be wrong. I thought it was 15 because that was the 12 games post the Vikings game and then 3 playoff games. Unless you did that after week 1 but I seem to remember that was preseason.

Im pretty sure it was actually after week 2 lol