Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Most notable observation is that McDermott runs circles around McDaniels and Brady. They are clueless when facing him.

Notice that after Frazier put Levi Wallace on James White in obvious play design roles, the matchup advantage disappeared. The Bills have the personnel to completely shut the patriots down, which is a rarity these days. 

Edited by Howler

Just now, 24isthelaw said:

@FieldYates
Patriots defensive ranks so far:
* Points per game: 6.8 (1st)
* Sacks: 18 (1st)
* INT: 10 (1st)
* 3 & outs forced: 21 (1st)
* Yards/game: 243.0 (1st)
* Yards/drive: 19.1 (1st)
* Rush yards/game: 61.3 (2nd)
* Pass yards/game: 181.8 (2nd)
* More TD scored (2) than allowed (1)

Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Steelers. While this is impressive, you can't forget they've played far and away the easiest schedule in the NFL, don't try to convince me the Bills are a legit 3-0 team before yesterday.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Steelers. While this is impressive, you can't forget they've played far and away the easiest schedule in the NFL, don't try to convince me the Bills are a legit 3-0 team before yesterday.

For sure. They're far more likely to be merely good, than historic.

But what makes the Pats defense interesting isn't just the bottom line, it's how they're going about it. 2-4-5 hybrid defense with 2-gap principles, built from the secondary forward instead of the other way around, full of veterans. I think what you're seeing is the counter to the spread offense concepts and RPO.

Reading between the lines, NFL defenses have gotten simpler and more predictable in the name of playing faster. And they've gotten younger/more reliant on UDFAs and rookie scale guys because of moneyball-style roster management. Both of these trends appear to have made the NFL's defenses vulnerable to tricky spread concepts, which is why offenses were so far ahead of defenses last season. I think the dominant stretch the Pats defense has been on is instructive on how to counter that.