Let's talk Trent Brown

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I believe Good played RT before coming over and was considered a good RT.  I am not saying he is as good as Brown but at 1/6th the price and the ability to stay on the field makes him a better option in my opinion.  I would rather have a solid starter that plays 16 then an all pro that plays 8.  You do realize Brown is the 18th highest payed player this year and Good is the 24th highest paid RT in the league.   Brown's cap is just short of doubling the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.  If he can not get on the field it does not matter how good he is when he is on it.  I am not saying get rid of him right now or that we should trade him in the offseason.  What I am saying is conditional on him showing an inability to stay healthy going forward.  If he can not get on the field on a regular basis going forward we need to go in a different direction.

He has played a few games at RT but the only season he was a starter before he got here he played RG. I'm okay with moving on from Brown after this season if he can't stay healthy. But I don't think that Good is the long term answer for us at RT. Hell he wouldn't even be starting their this week if Sam Young was healthy but he's dealing with a groin injury. Once Good came in at RT we literally abandoned our entire offensive game plan and looked to get the ball out of Carr's hands as quickly as possible. And that was with Good going up against a rookie defensive end. We'll see how he holds up against one of the elite edge players in the league this week in Cam Jordan. 

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let him play this year before we make determinations on whether or not he sticks around.

Yeah I think this rumor is kinda being streched a bit....

Honestly, maybe the dude’s just 1. Out of shape and slightly injured 2. Going thru something very difficult on a personal level.  
Personally, I think the photos of him are being overblown.  Especially the Locker Room one.... he left the game early and went back to the locker room and was dressed in street clothes.  If I didn’t help the team win I wouldn’t be all Rah-Rah “hands in, ____ on 3” with the guys who did actually play and get the win.  He watched from a respectful distance.... it’s not like he left The room early or was being a cancer.  I see no issue with that.  And who cares if he’s standing behind the line on the sideline...: there could be a million reasons why.  Maybe they all lined up while he was with the trainer for a last minute taping or stretching and didn’t want to come barging his big behind in and make everyone move.... he is a mountain after all.  

Im with the previous posters statement that if he doesn’t play in 13 games or around 80-85% of the snaps he should be cut.  That said, I’m willing to wait the year out and see.  
as someone else said, even though Good played well he isn’t even the backup RT and we basically scaled the offense back significantly and got the ball out Super a Fast to minimize the amount of protection he needed to give.  And he was only going up against Stephen Weatherly and YGM, a rookie.  The coaches didn’t think THAT much of him to trust him to hold the rush on long drop backs.  

hopefully, TB ends up playing and we’re able to keep him.  I doubt Jackson’s on the team next year (he played okay but got blown up like 3x I believe.... I don’t think he’s returning to near All-Pro / worth 10M level.  I’d hate to have to have an entirely new right side of the OL.... plus Incognito could retire but I think he plays next year.... he’s still dominant.  

We’ll have enough holes to fill with FS, 3T DT plus LB, WR and overall depth needed to be filled out.  I’d hate to add RT high on the priority list.  Not to mention TB’s cap hit finally drops to a manageable 14 and 15.25M the next 2 years.    Lastly, we obviously value continuity on the OL tremendous, which was shown by keeping Jackson.  Carr needs protection and have trust in his protection to play well enough to win. 

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We’ll have enough holes to fill with FS, 3T DT plus LB, WR and overall depth needed to be filled out.  I’d hate to add RT high on the priority list.  Not to mention TB’s cap hit finally drops to a manageable 14 and 15.25M the next 2 years.    Lastly, we obviously value continuity on the OL tremendous, which was shown by keeping Jackson.  Carr needs protection and have trust in his protection to play well enough to win. 

I do not want to add another hole to the team just to add another hole.  I also do not want to hold onto a player that is not worth it to not create another hole.  The players play dictates who stays and goes.  If you live up to your contract you stay and if you do not then you go.  Brown's cap numbers are only considered team friendly when you compare them to his cap number this year.  At $14 and $15.25 he still needs to be on the field and playing at an all pro level.  We can sign a top  RT for $10 a year or draft one on day 2.  I really like having him on the team and do not mind paying him his money over the next two years if he proves he can stay healthy.

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

We did that trade cuz we had Smith and Good. No way to know that Smith would go down too. They like Parker on the left so no need to carry 4 backup tackles.

Well, there is an argument to be made we should have kept the much younger Sharpe as the primary backup who had played well when given the opportunity and can cover LT and RT over a 33 yr old journeyman player who's never shown to be even a decent player............

On 9/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, NightTrainLane said:

We did that trade cuz we had Smith and Good. No way to know that Smith would go down too. They like Parker on the left so no need to carry 4 backup tackles.

I don't think the Sharpe trade had anything to do with Good though. I highly doubt that we ever really viewed Good as a potential option to play RT and the only reason he got a chance to play there was because Brown/Young got hurt and Parker was inactive week 1 so we literally didn't have another OT to step in.

Sharpe actually played pretty well in the limited time he was on the field here while Parker has been absolutely terrible whenever he has been on the field. Plus Sharpe is a swing tackle that has played both tackle spots. We're currently carrying 4 OT and that still would've been the case had we cut Parker and kept Sharpe.