Microsoft purchases Bethesda

naptownskinsfan

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The real news here is that Bethesda and Obsidian are now under the same umbrella again. New Vegas 2 is now a possibility!

I hope it means good things for Fallout in general. Cause right now one isn't coming out until like 2030.
Might see Obsidian, InXile and Bethesda share development on some things. They all have multiple teams so you could see maybe one of them being the lead on it with some of the smaller teams at the other studios helping too. Stuff like quest designing, expansions, or even more integrated in.
Resource sharing and sheer developer numbers would help those games a lot.

Bethesda, Obsidian, InXile and Playground doing Fable are kinda bringing Xbox back to being "the place for WRPGs" that they had back in the 2000s with Kotor, Morrowind, Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc

I can't help but laugh at people on reddit saying Sony should buy take-two in response... They clearly have no idea how this all works. Sony could never afford that... Maybe someone like konami or square enix if they really wanted to but take-two is way out of reach... That would take over 20 billion.

19 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I can't help but laugh at people on reddit saying Sony should buy take-two in response... They clearly have no idea how this all works. Sony could never afford that... Maybe someone like konami or square enix if they really wanted to but take-two is way out of reach... That would take over 20 billion.

Yeah I could see them buying Konami, but Take-two isn't happening, and it doesn't make any sense for Sony to do it anyway if their goal is exclusives.

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The real news here is that Bethesda and Obsidian are now under the same umbrella again. New Vegas 2 is now a possibility!

Does everyone forget about Alpha Protocol and Outer Worlds?

I mean I know people literally forgot they existed.

An Obsidian Isometric cRPG set in the Fallout universe might be cool. idk. 

This move doesnt really change anything for me since I have a good gaming PC and can get all Microsoft exclusives on there, but what exactly has Bethesda done in years?    As noted, maybe this will save them, but almost everything out of Bethesda the last several years has been negative, so while this could potentially be great, Microsoft has to pull Bethesda out of the mud and clean them off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 43M said:

This move doesnt really change anything for me since I have a good gaming PC and can get all Microsoft exclusives on there, but what exactly has Bethesda done in years?    As noted, maybe this will save them, but almost everything out of Bethesda the last several years has been negative, so while this could potentially be great, Microsoft has to pull Bethesda out of the mud and clean them off.

Well, Bethesda in particular hasn't put out any games recently, so it's difficult to say they've been doing poorly. The only game they've put out that's been heavily received negatively is really Fallout 76. There's little reason to believe, IMO, their upcoming games (Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5 (one day...)) will need any help.

While those titles are definitely the selling points of this deal, I think the auxiliary titles they've received (DOOM, Prey, Dishonored, Evil Within, Quake) are definitely worth mentioning as well.

18 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Well, Bethesda in particular hasn't put out any games recently, so it's difficult to say they've been doing poorly. The only game they've put out that's been heavily received negatively is really Fallout 76. There's little reason to believe, IMO, their upcoming games (Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5 (one day...)) will need any help.

While those titles are definitely the selling points of this deal, I think the auxiliary titles they've received (DOOM, Prey, Dishonored, Evil Within, Quake) are definitely worth mentioning as well.

Not trying to be mean, but you should probably do more research about Bethesda if you believe Fallout 76 has been their only recent major issue.  ESO has been a major letdown, their microtransactions have been epically bad and Fallout 76 was not just a typical gaming bust...it was a lesson on what happens when total greed takes over a game development process.

Again, this doesnt change anything for me.   Not personally a huge fan of any Bethesda games, but this is a good get for Microsoft.

Here's what I think happens in the long term.  Those games like future Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc. will be on Playstation consoles with a catch.  Game Pass will be on Playstation consoles, and if you want to play those games, you have to subscribe to Game Pass.  This way everyone wins.... Playstation users can play those games and Microsoft gets a financial cut of every Playstation user who is playing those games + they get Playstation users into the Game Pass ecosystem.

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

I think for Microsoft/Xbox they are just as happy with that since it's their platform too. They just want Gamepass subscribers. This keeps people in their ecosystems.
Could see them buying a part (or all) of some these hardware manufacturers too so they get a cut no matter what. 

Bethesda/Zenimax has done a couple lackluster things businesswise (and Fallout 76) but revitalization of Doom, Wolfenstein and the other games have all been pretty great.
It seems like the actually Bethesda Studio decided to take a break and redo the engine finally (Todd said this today), so that explains why besides 76 there will be a 6 year release difference from them, maybe even 7. But they should have Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 out by 2026, especially now that Obsidian and InXile can help on development. They are still one of the best publishers out there, this should help stop them from doing some of the crappier things the publisher started to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JBURGE said:

This is bang on. The rumours of MS removing the pay for online makes sense too. If they can prove enough value with their GamePass Ultimate, they can continue to charge $15 a month for it and people will pay it. Companies are getting favourable valuations based on consistent monthly revenue. This is why MS doesn't care about how these new consoles sell, they are changing their business model to be "Play anywhere, just pay us more each month" which is great for them and great for consumers. The consoles are just to make sure they still compete in that space and give gamers a more affordable gaming option than a PC. 

From every 1 million new customers they get to GamePass on PC at $10 ($120 per year) a month they make $1.2b in revenue, per year. 

Upgrades from Xbox Live to Ultimate  is $5 per month too.

One last edit... as of April this year Microsoft has 10 million GamePass subscribers, for those wondering. I think new subscribers in the coming years to the program will be measured in millions, hence my numbers above

I'm not that up to date on the new console generations.  But this sounds like when WWE went away from the PPV model and launched the WWE Network instead.  If so, I think it's actually a pretty good idea.